RIM Introduces the 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Price and performance?
What about it?

I'd be surprised if the 4G PlayBook doesn't come down in price and you can bet that companies will get discounts on larger orders.

As for performance, I haven't had any problems with my PlayBook and when you consider that the new one is even faster I don't see what the problem is.

I'm laughing at the posts in the Nexus 7 owners thread.. "apps for closing apps"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 02:49 PM
Veteran

The Playbook doesn't pass the "ultra rugged" tests so how can it be a candidate?

This is what the City Of Edmonton is evaluating right now.

http://www.leica-geosystems.com/en/Leica-CS25_94741.htm
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
I have to be careful with my words, but I work for a company that creates 911/dispatching/public safety systems. There is no Playbook.
Well that's your company - there are others who are building such software for the BlackBerry/PlayBook system.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-08, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Well that's your company - there are others who are building such software for the BlackBerry/PlayBook system.
If only you knew what you're talking about...
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Sears appliance repair guys use the playbook. Nice setup too. Much better then my crippled tuffbook setup with mike phone...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 02:06 PM

As for pricing, how much is an iPad 4G?

The 4G PlayBook is the best value in 4G tablets right now.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 02:17 PM

MarcP, have you looked into the Panasonic Toughbook series? That's what I evaluated several years ago when sourcing for a similar client in Ontario. They may offer a tablet now...not sure. Their stuff meets the US MIL 1 spec. for shock, dust, vibration, temperature extremes, etc.

Quote:
The 4G PlayBook is the best value in 4G tablets right now
I tend to agree. I recently purchased the Wifi-only version, and I'm pleasantly surprised. The device is the perfect size, and it's done everything that I've asked of it...and done it well. When compared to the ipad, setting up file sharing on a home network was a breeze.

And you can't beat the price of the Playbook....I got a 32GB version for $250 taxes in...

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 03:06 PM

A no-term LTE iPad is $649. $100 more, but with substantially better hardware and the Apple app store.

I like my Playbook, but it's being priced well out of it's market segment. It should be at least $150 cheaper on both no-term and 3-year pricing.

They simply can't compete with iOS and Android at that price and expect to sell well. Android apps can run on the Playbook, but many don't work properly, and for whatever reason most developers aren't doing the work to fix them. The app selection is pretty bad at the moment, and they need to fix that somehow.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 05:55 PM
Rookie

I honestly think that this device will only cater to those that have a fascination with RIM devices. Myself, I prefer to save the money, buy a Nexus 7 and tether it with my Galaxy Nexus.

The price/feature ratio of this revised PlayBook doesn't impress me one bit.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Then that's their business if they want to blow money making software for a company that's on the verge of going bankrupt or being bought out. The company that I work for produces an LSD Nav application for the iPad. Even though I'm not a fan of Apple devices, it makes more sense to develop on a successful platform. My employer use to develop Java apps for BB and gave up once they bought the iPads.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiViD View Post
...a company that's on the verge of going bankrupt...
RIM has no debt.

Quote:
My employer use to develop Java apps for BB and gave up once they bought the iPads.
Could it be that they're waiting for BB10, like most developers? Until BB10 is market-ready, I don't see a lot of developers investing resources into it.

Quote:
I honestly think that this device will only cater to those that have a fascination with RIM devices
This statement could easily be applied to many Apple customers. I've also encountered people who've bought into Android simply because it wasn't MSFT, Apple, RIM, etc.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Myself, I prefer to save the money, buy a Nexus 7 and tether it with my Galaxy Nexus.
And in the end you've achieved exactly what you can do with a PlayBook and BlackBerry smartphone. In fact, Bridge takes tethering to the next level.

The phone's keyboard and trackpad act as a wireless mouse for when you have the PlayBook attached to a projector or TV to give a presentation. Don't like tapping on the touch-screen keyboard? Use the phone's physical keyboard.

The bridged messages/calendar mean you have one less device to hassle with for syncing.

As for other features I don't see the Nexus 7 anywhere further ahead than the PlayBook. If you enjoy multimedia, the PlayBook's speakers blow away the ones in the Nexus 7 which face the wrong way.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 12:37 AM

hardware wise, the playbook is the nicest tablet to hold bar none

it feels better, and sounds better than all the rest

it's too bad it wasn't supported softwarewise the way android is
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Could it be that they're waiting for BB10, like most developers? Until BB10 is market-ready, I don't see a lot of developers investing resources into it.
Nope, they are not waiting for 10. They are quite confident that enough profit can be made with the iPads, seeing that OS 5 and 6 gave nothing but issues on both the hardware front and the software front. I can mail you the 6 9780's that I have which died from white screens and other failures if you'd like.

I know that the PlayBook has seamless integration with a BlackBerry smartphone, but alas, you are locked to.. OMG.. a BlackBerry. With the Nexus 7, I can nearly take any device powered by Gingerbread or newer and tether it. Google restores my calendar, contacts, and other information to a new device or between other devices. I recall Google being able to doing that before the PlayBook was released to the masses.

I could care less about the speakers as the device is designed to entertain myself, not piss off the people around me. If I wanted to watch movies, I'd bring along a notebook on my travels and not burn out my eyes focusing to a 7" screen.

Now I am not going to continue to fuel ssbtech's responses, because they are one-sided towards RIM, with a lack of knowledge about other devices (or so it would seem). I've had my chances to play with the Playbook, various Android devices, and a few Apple devices. Android was the definite choice for myself, and iOS for the employer. RIM has proved to be little worth to my employer, and the only reason why we continue to use their hardware is due to a corporate decision (buy-out of my employer). If we did not have a corporate influence, we would have dumped RIM some time ago.

My responses are not fueled with ignorance, but with the experiences of having to deal with a phone manufacturer that just simply was interested in pumping out devices with a lack of quality control. I will say that my work phone (9790) is a lot more polished in that regard, but it took RIM too damn long to correct those flaws.

Sorry, but there is no way that myself or others that I know that have faced these issues will be turned back to RIM.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 01:27 AM

Any piece of mass produced consumer electronics will have a failure rate. Remember all the apple PC's with counterfeit Nichicon capacitors that started to bulge and crap out?

The Nexus 7 isn't without problems either - many reports of touchscreen failures, crappy speaker sound, loose screens and light leakage. The iPhones haven't been without flaws either.

So go ahead, bash RIM based on the bad batch of phones you got and I'll be happily using my Torch 9800 and PlayBook as I have for many months.

I bought the PlayBook because I liked it and I knew that developer support would grow as it has been. I've used iPads and various Android tablets and frankly find the iPad too big and the Android software was slow and clunky. (I know I shouldn't bash android based on one bad experience several months ago, but that seems to be the typical approach to RIM bashing here so why not...)

My PlayBook has replaced my laptop as my "carry along" device. If I need to do any "serious" work I'll use my PC. No tablet will replace the PC. The 7" screen is perfect for browsing the web (I'll go sit at the coffee shop, beach, whatever and browse forums and read the news) and it's small enough to sit on the corner of the table out of the way when you want to have coffee with a friend.

Is it perfect? No. I'd like a stylus for more accurate writing input and an SD card slot would be nice, but every tablet will have its shortfalls and you have to weigh them against eachother to pick the best for you. I did, and the PlayBook won out easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in