Google Nexus 7 owners thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Google Nexus 7 owners thread

Please post you experiences, good and bad here.

Please use the existing thread for all non-related issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 07:05 PM

OK this is my first tablet device so keep that in mind. As I become more accustomed and get more tablet experience I may add an update. I have the 16GB version. Plugging it into my laptop (using a microUSB cable I had laying around) showed that it had a 13.2GB volume that appeared as Nexus 7/Internal Storage. Inside the root folder was a series of folders. Loading up the device would be a pretty easy task. Just copy to the appropriate folder.

The screen is beautiful. I was using it outside in the sun and while not ideal it was viewable. Unlike some laptop screens I have used.

Browsing with Chrome (my browser of choice) was a pretty easy transition. Talking to the device seems odd but I think I will get used to it. Especially if it means I don't have to type or more importantly spell correctly! Since I have a Google Account it automatically checked my email and synced a bunch of things. I still have to poke around to see what it did and what else it can do.

It has location services so it can use the GPS to find out where you are and return searches based on your location. I have it turned off right now.

"My Library" included the movie "Transformers Dark of the Moon" and the ebooks Hans Christian Andersen's Wonderful Stories For Children, Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Dominion and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. As well as Google's Nexus 7 Guidebook. The movie started to play almost immediately. I am pretty sure it was streaming it. The ebook page turns are quite realistic with the pages curling and flipping as slow or as fast as you like.

Right now there is an update for 4.1 to 4.1.1 so I will be installing that before saying much more.

I should note that without wifi there did not appear to be a way to bypass the initial setup. I had to wait to get home (and on my WLAN) before I could finish the setup.
Attached Images
File Type: png nexus1.png (2.7 KB, 442 views) File Type: png nexus2.png (3.0 KB, 435 views)
post #3 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-20, 08:26 AM

Still having fun. I installed a few apps that take advantage of the sensors. The Droid Sky View is great as are some of the flight simulators. And yes Angry Birds Space found it way onto my tablet.

Now I am looking for apps to control my Sling Solo, Apple TV and WD TV Live SMP. There are a few but short of installing and testing it is hard to know which ones will do what I want. I can't believe they want $15 for the Sling app thought. I must be missing something.

In the other Nexus thread there were online reports of dead pixels and lifted bezels. Mine appears to be fine.

post #4 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-20, 08:20 PM

I'm really enjoying mine so far.

Things i don't like:
-Reflective screen (All tablets suffer from that problem)
-Camera facing the wrong way
-The interface is a bit less intuitive than iOS.

What i like about it:
-The price!
-Much lighter than an iPad
-Fits into a coat pocket
-It's very responsive
-The TegraZone App for games!
post #5 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-21, 12:56 AM
Veteran

Just got mine this evening, and so far I like it. As mentioned, it is very responsive. Whatever Google did as part of their "Project Butter" claim, it seems to work quite well. The Chrome browser still has some rendering issues on some sites (different-sized text in different areas of the screen), but at least they brought back the "Request Desktop Site" option.

Although I've seen the reviews of it, I was still somewhat surprised by the fact it's pretty much the same layout as ICS on the Galaxy Nexus, vs the other Android tablets I've seen (menu keys in the middle instead of on the bottom left or right, for instance). It still does seem to work fairly well, and since I've used a Galaxy Nexus before I don't really have any complaints from the user interface side.

From what I can tell my unit is fine from a hardware standpoint as well. No dead pixels, no noticeable issues with the screen lifting up, no flickering. Hopefully it stays like that.
post #6 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 01:10 PM

OK silly question. How can you exit an application consistently? On some you can "double back-arrow" and it will ask you to confirm. Some I don't get that and when I look at the battery/app info it is still listed after backing out.

I can stop the process but only as a last resort.
post #7 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 01:23 PM

Press the button to the right of the home button. That will show you a list of apps the system believes are "open". Swipe them away to close them.

Sometimes apps will still show as running in the apps menu. That usually means they have a background process. If you run latitude, for example, Maps will often be running. If you have an Exchange email account linked, exchange services will always be running. Anything that has a widget that you're using will probably show there too.

Unless you're noticing significant battery drain, or you're running out of memory, I wouldn't worry about background processes.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #8 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Swipe them away to close them
I was doing that at first but some games still are listed in the apps settings as running. I see no reason that they would need to have a process running. Usually it tells you if there is a process associated with an app. I do keep gmail etc running. So you are saying processless apps should not appear after the right-swipe?
post #9 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 02:07 PM

Just received mine

First impressions, I like it!! Very sleek, quick, fits nice in the palm of your hand.

Setup was very quick, and I'm now charging it.

I was very surprised that Google "gives" you $25 to be used in Google Play

I'll play a little more later
post #10 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
So you are saying processless apps should not appear after the right-swipe?
Not necessarily. I'm not entirely familiar with the technical side of things, but it's possible the game cached some key data to load faster later. If it doesn't show an associated process then it probably means the app just has some data still in memory but nothing actually running, which doesn't use any battery life. Android will automatically clear it from memory if that memory is needed.

If they don't show any running processes then I wouldn't worry about it.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #11 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Woot got one... kemptville staples... one left on display... charging now.... after the kids r in bed I'll power it up.... excited!

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #12 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Mine is charging. So far, so good. I installed some apps and it seems pretty quick. I'll give it a full workout tomorrow.
post #13 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 10:40 PM
Veteran

Benchmark wise it rates lower then my Galaxy s3 but i find this thing "buttery" smooth and fast. really fast.

First impressions:
-initial boot up was fast
-found my wifi right away and i signed in. My meter strength showed all white not blue so i could not log into google to start setup
-rebooted the thing. Now i got full wifi blue signal
-finished off setup and waited for all things to sync. This seemed to take for ever and maybe it was a poor connection but it said my wifi was excellent. just the same i decided to reboot the thing. Now its rocking.
-got notification of my 25$ googleplay credit
-checked for updates none available.
-about 20minutes later i get notification of a jellybean update so i applied it

Been using it hard for about 2 hours now. its simply amazing. I don't notice any of the "Build quality control issues" so far. I am downloading he free transformer movie now for offline play. I have AirDroid running now and I am transferring 8 gigs worth of The Pacific, so ill be gobbling up much of the things space in very short time, but im just doing to to play around.. I plan to try the navigation offline tomorrow as google maps works offline now.

If you wanna see how sexy the screen is download DEAD TRIGGER.(free zombie game) In the first level water is dripping down an entrance, walk through it slowly and watch the water cover your screen.. just kinda cool.

Chrome browser really works well. But noticed my my photobucket widget on my personal webpage is not loading.. adobe flash player is no longer available for jellybean... so ill see if it works from dolphin when i get a chance.

Overall very impressed..

Grabbed on of these for the playbook. Regular was a sickening $30, but the girl at staples let me have it for $15(side note first time i have ever been up-sold at staples. After she grabbed me the tablet she began to up-sell me a case and screen protector... thought i was at FS for a minute. i was so happy to find one i bought it all LOL)

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #14 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 11:31 PM
Veteran

I can't find how to get the Transformers movie on mine. When I go to the Play Videos app, it tells me I have no movies (and makes suggestions on ones I can purchase).
post #15 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 01:11 AM

TKG26, You mentioned initial boot up was fast. I've been looking everywhere for the boot up times for the Nexus 7. Can you or others here tell me how long does it take to boot up from the off state?

Last edited by sleemo; 2012-07-25 at 07:07 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quoting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in