Google Nexus 7 owners thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 02:22 AM
Veteran

While not specific to the Nexus 7, it's a shame that the Android Facebook app, nor the desktop site loaded in the Chrome browser will let you change who a post is visible to after it's been made.

(When loading the desktop site in Chrome, you can get so far as to select who the post is visible to, but clicking on a person's name or group does nothing). I think I could do it in the older stock browser before Jelly Bean though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 08:48 AM

Anyone here using the Skype app? My image is inverted (incoming is fine) and I can not figure out how to rotate it. I had it orientated properly once but I am not able to replicate what it did.
post #48 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 09:41 AM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
And it seems still there is no stock ... I might just go into my local FutureShop & special order one this evening. No idea how long they're taking though ...

post #49 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Best Buy in Downtown Toronto seems to have inventory.
post #50 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 10:31 AM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
hmmm ... just checked their site & scrolled through the entire GTA ... no stores with inventory (including Downtown)
post #51 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

They had some in the case last week. If I'm up there at lunch time, I'll let you know.
post #52 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 09:44 PM
Veteran

With the correct USB cable/adapter, does anyone know if you could attach a something like a Garmin GPS unit to the Nexus 7, in order to access the GPS as a USB device for the purposes of putting data ON the GPS?
post #53 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 09:47 PM

Not sure I understand. The Nexus 7 has GPS capabilities. Are you saying you would like to use the maps that are already in your Garmin device on the Nexus 7?
post #54 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-07, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Sorry, should have explained that better.

I am looking for a "tablet" device where I can download GPX files for geocaching and transfer them from the tablet to the Garmin GPS device via USB.
post #55 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 01:45 AM
Rookie

You could just forego the Garmin and use OziExplorer instead. It supports GPX format.
post #56 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Sigh. I don't want to use the tablet as a GPS device, I would want to use it to transfer data to a standalone GPS device.

Here's what I do on my aging computer:
1) Download GPX files via web browser.
2) Plug USB cable into computer and GPS device.
3) Copy GPX files from computer to the Garmin GPS device.

Could the Nexus 7 do that?
post #57 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 02:57 PM
Rookie

Nope, but 99% of the tablets on the market won't work in your situation because they lack a full featured USB port and don't have a compatible Operating System. You need Windows to make this work, and I don't know of any Windows tablets in pure tablet form-factor that have a USB port.
post #58 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 03:22 PM

Best Buy has Asus and Toshiba Windows tablets with USB 2.0 ports.

In HD, even the commercials are enjoyable!
post #59 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-13, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgclarke View Post
Sigh. I don't want to use the tablet as a GPS device, I would want to use it to transfer data to a standalone GPS device.

Here's what I do on my aging computer:
1) Download GPX files via web browser.
2) Plug USB cable into computer and GPS device.
3) Copy GPX files from computer to the Garmin GPS device.

Could the Nexus 7 do that?
If your PC can recognize the Garmin GPS as a storage device, your Nexus & should be able to do so. Just buy a microUSB to USB OTG adapter to connect your Garmin to Nexus 7. You may need to install stickmount to let Nexus 7 mount the Garmin as a storage device.
post #60 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-09-01, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Nexus 7 means lonely Playbook

Just got a Nexus 7 Monday. I ordered it from Google directly since I couldn't find it in stores anywhere here.

I've got to say it's made me put my Playbook, which I've had for a year, on the shelf. Faster, nicer looking, lighter, far more functionality thanks to apps. Jelly Bean seems powerful and smooth, although not as intuitive as I'd like. Search function is excellent.

I miss flash, however, for watching some video sites not supported by Android apps (like CBC news). So will still keep the Playbook handy for watching the National and live hockey on the go. I also miss swiping the Playbook screen to wake it up, and the easy and superior way in which Playbook handles multi-tasking. (A lot easier to cycle through simultaneously running apps and shut them down if necessary.) The Playbook also has better and actual stereo speakers. But it doesn't have Netflix or Skype apps. Or a whole lot of other apps. Maybe BB10 will give the Playbook a needed boost, but for now, the Nexus 7 is the better buy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in