Google Nexus 7 owners thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 06:49 PM

Ordered mine on Friday. The UPS tracker says delivery on Thursday.

Android rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Over the weekend I installed the Amazon Android Store. I can now download previously purchased apps from both app stores. Life is good.
post #33 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 08:05 PM

I finally received mine on Friday after waiting for the pre-order for almost a month. It's my first personal tablet (iPad 2 at work) and my first Android device. I did purchase an iPad Gen 3 for my parents this spring so I know how nice that screen is. I have heard from existing Android users (prior to Android 4.1) that the UI isn't as smooth and polished as iOS. On the other hand, Jelly Bean was supposed to have closed the gap.

I wanted a 7" tablet that was "cheap". I was going to buy a Playbook as it is heavily discounted. However, with the announcement with the Nexus 7, the choice was clear. The lack of cellular radio and a rear camera didn't factor in as I wanted to have a portal computer for my motorcycle trips.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the Nexus 7 especially considering the price. The screen looks nice and the software runs fast and smooth. Most of the apps I have on my iPhone are available.

There is really only one thing I have noticed about the hardware that I would have liked change; that is it has only one speaker. While watching Netflix, you do notice that the sound is only coming from one side. It's not a big gripe but it would have been nice.

I would recommend it for others though I do miss the integration with my MacBook and Apple TV. However, it is half the price of the cheapest iPad Gen 3.

Sanyo Z700, RX-V1800, DMP-BD35, XBox 360, Apple TV 2, Paradigm Monitor 7, Athena AS-B1, AS-C1, AS-R1

post #34 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 08:34 PM
Veteran

When playing Youtube videos, does Youtube consider the device to be a computer or a mobile device (i.e. some videos are set not to play on mobile devices)?

I get that a lot with my first generation Galaxy S phone, which is obviously a mobile device.

My home computer is ancient and I am debating whether to get a new computer or move towards a tablet.

Also, for wi-fi, does it use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?
post #35 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgclarke View Post
When playing Youtube videos, does Youtube consider the device to be a computer or a mobile device (i.e. some videos are set not to play on mobile devices)?

I get that a lot with my first generation Galaxy S phone, which is obviously a mobile device.

My home computer is ancient and I am debating whether to get a new computer or move towards a tablet.

Also, for wi-fi, does it use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?
No problems yet with YouTube. Everything played that I have tried. WiFi is 2.4GHz only.

My parents' computer needed to be replaced so I bought them an iPad as a replacement. Like the stereotypical senior citizens, they don't like change. So it was an experiment on my part. I guess I would have an iPad if they don't like it or couldn't learn to use it.

It only took a couple of hand holding sessions to learn the basics. Now they use Facebook and Skype, no problems. For them, it has completely replaced their desktop computer.

Sanyo Z700, RX-V1800, DMP-BD35, XBox 360, Apple TV 2, Paradigm Monitor 7, Athena AS-B1, AS-C1, AS-R1
post #36 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-30, 10:37 PM

Yes the YouTube app will play the Vevo music videos. Which surprised me. Remember there is no flash player for the Nexus 7. I don't know what happens if you try to play a flash video on YouTube app.
post #37 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Location: 46" Dynex DX46L150A11, Insignia BD WiFi NS-WBRDVD2-CA,Shaw Cable Pace DC758D e-sata WD hard drive
No flash support

I purchased mine 10 days ago from London Drugs. Overall I'm very impressed.

Nonetheless, no flash support is a downer. I wanted to use it to borrow ebooks from the public library, but to read, one needs to install Adobe Digital Editions which requires flash. So, I can purchase ebooks from Google play and that works fine, but borrowing from my public library is not available to me. I might have to buy a Kobo as well. Damn!!!

Last edited by blader; 2012-07-31 at 03:30 PM.
post #38 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Can't you just install the Kobo reader on the tablet? I haven't done it but Kindle app works fine.
post #39 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-31, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Location: 46" Dynex DX46L150A11, Insignia BD WiFi NS-WBRDVD2-CA,Shaw Cable Pace DC758D e-sata WD hard drive
^^^
Maybe I'm clueless. Does your Kindle app allow you to borrow ebooks from your public library? If so, does it read epub ebooks?
post #40 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Some U.S. libraries allow this(Kindle) but not in Canada. I would assume that the Kobo app would have the same functionality as a full blown Kobo.

I don't have one, so I don't know.
post #41 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
one needs to install Adobe Digital Editions which requires flash
Normally, to read those books on smart phones and tablets, you install Overdrive Media Console. It's available on Google Play. I have installed it on both my tablet and smart phone. Another option is use ADE to download books to your computer and then run Aldiko on the tablet. ADE will recognize it as a book reader.
post #42 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-01, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Adobe Digital Editions is not need to read public library epub books

Quote:
Normally, to read those books on smart phones and tablets, you install Overdrive Media Console. It's available on Google Play.
Stupid me, I had already installed Overdrive Media Console and I downloaded an epub book from my local public library but I was not successful in getting it to display. After your post, I tried again, and voila, The public library ebook is there and readable in all its glory. Thanks so much!! I no longer have a perceived need for Abobe Digital Editions.
post #43 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-04, 01:55 PM

Having used it for over a week now, I've found a few more things I really like.

The soft touch backing and curved sides, combined with the light weight, make it really comfortable to hold for long periods compared to my Playbook and Nook Color. Google/Asus did a really great job there.

I remain impressed with the outstanding battery life, especially given the size of the screen. It makes for a great travel companion.

I also have found new use for Google Currents. I tried Currents on my phone back when it was released and didn't really like it; I didn't see an advantage over traditional RSS feeds. However, the additional screen size of the Nexus 7 makes Currents feel much more useful. I love the way it formats stories and eliminates the need for scrolling. It allows me to read news sources I might be interested in at my leisure, but without cluttering my Google Reader with stuff I'm not interested in.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #44 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-04, 02:04 PM

I haven't really had a chance to give mine a full spin yet. So far the only thing I don't like is the position of the power button. I'd have preferred it on the top where it is easier to find.

Other than that, I'm pretty impressed. I downloaded the Kobo app and compared it to my Kobo touch and page turns are, as expected, much faster. It's just as readable as the Kobo IMHO.

Android rocks!
post #45 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-08-06, 10:07 PM

A must-have app for me is AirDroid. It allows you to transfer wirelessly files from your computer to the Nexus 7. It work great for music, videos and more.

Android's app store is a lot messier than Apple's.

If you like games, the Tegra Zone App is another must-have. It features games that have been enhanced for the Tegra processor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in