Google Nexus 7 owners thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 01:21 AM
Veteran

Roughly 32 seconds to boot up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 01:30 AM

That's pretty slow. I thought it would maybe boot like a Chromebook.
post #18 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 08:33 AM
Veteran

yep 30-32 seconds.

The free transformer movie showed up in PLAY MOVIES allong with some books. There was a widget preloaded on the home screen showing it all. It was available to stream or download.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #19 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I was doing that at first but some games still are listed in the apps settings as running.
I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1, running Android 3. I find that sometimes I need to do a full shut down and boot to get rid of all applications.

There is an app for closing apps - sorry, my tablet is at home, so I can't get you more details, such as the name. However, it will not touch some games, so I still have to reboot.

Something else to look for is Carat (carot?). It sits in the background and maps what apps are running, and which ones draw how much battery power. After a while, it will give you an analysis of what is running, what you should shut down or disable - and how much difference to battery life killing each application/process will make.
post #20 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Something else to look for is Carat (carot?). It sits in the background and maps what apps are running, and which ones draw how much battery power. After a while, it will give you an analysis of what is running, what you should shut down or disable - and how much difference to battery life killing each application/process will make.
Some of that functionality seems to be built into the OS now. I can see the battery information and how much each process has consumed percentage-wise. Really nice.
post #21 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 12:39 AM

What a fun little device!
post #22 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I'm noticing that when i type a message it predicts the next word, before i type the first letter of that word. So, it's not a auto correct it's a grammar function.

I assume this is a 4.1 feature.
post #23 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 09:15 AM

I would like to stream some content (audio/video) from a SMB share to the nexus 7. What app are you using to do this? It would seem that not all container formats or codecs are supported either.
post #24 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 01:39 PM

From what I understand, you need uTorrent to remotely access your files, and you'll also need, I think, MX Player. I have both, but haven't set up Torrent sharing just yet. To download torrents, I bought aTorrent.

MX Player and aTorrent work just fine so far.
post #25 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 06:46 PM

I am a bit confused about the atorrent/utorrent comment. I have MX player but I need to be able to see the network shares. Are you saying these programs can be configured to push/pull streams to MX Player?
post #26 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 08:47 PM

Well, I've had mine for about a week now and think it's a pretty terrific tablet, especially at the price Google set for it (mine is the 16GB version - the 8GB one is also a steal, but I wanted more local storage).

So far (knock on wood) none of the issues that are being raised in several forums have shown up (screens lifting, backlight bleeding, speakers/microphones not working, inconsistent touch function in areas of the screen). I do get very occasional lag after exiting an application or even after mounting it as a drive to copy files over and then disconnecting it - but it doesn't last very long. Other than that the action is very smooth and the whole device feels like something worth at least a couple of hundred more. The Chrome browser also shows lag at times, depending on the site, and that's a complaint I've heard from several people.

I don't miss a camera on the back (I don't know many tablet owners that take photos with their tablets - looks kind of dorky and I have a phone for that if need be), nor the lack of cellular data availability. With close to a hundred applications, a half-dozen movies, and a few hundred MP4 files, I'm not even halfway through the included storage.

Currently using a cheap case like this: Rotating Nexus 7 Case

It works okay, but it makes the tablet bulkier than I'd like (though being able to prop it up in landscape and portrait is nice).

Ordered one of these that is much slimmer and more like the type of cover the iPad has available - but won't be available until near the end of August: Poetic Slim Portfolio

Battery life has been impressive - watched several movies on it back to back a few days ago and hadn't quite gone through 2/3 of the battery. Sound quality is okay, even through the back speaker. There are some very nice games out there to show off the Tegra chip (e.g. Dead Trigger) and Netflix streams very smoothly on it. I also installed Wi-Fi Finder to ensure that I can find a wireless source when I'm out and about if need be. Haven't had much of a chance to play with the offline storage for Google maps, though I presume turn-by-turn directions would not work unless you tethered it to a cell phone, as that requires a network connection for Google maps to perform.

Overall, very impressed and happy with it. I'd rate it a solid 9/10 (minus one for how badly Google underestimated the demand for the 16GB version and the sometimes laggy browser).
post #27 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargoose View Post
Battery life has been impressive - watched several movies on it back to back a few days ago and hadn't quite gone through 2/3 of the battery. Sound quality is okay, even through the back speaker.
Does it support Bluetooth? If so, a pair of Bluetooth headphones will make a drastic improvement is audio quality. There are some really light ones that almost make you forget you are wearing something.

On my Galaxy Tab, I watch a lot of TV shows (currently working my way through four years of Farscape), and I use wired earbuds. I have used my big Bluetooth headphones and they work, but since my TV viewing is on an epliptical machine at the gym, carrying them around just does not seem right....
post #28 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Does it support Bluetooth
Yes it does. Which reminds me I have a Bluetooth ear piece I got for my cell phone which is just laying around now. I must try it with Google Talk.
post #29 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 12:22 PM

I've had mine since Thursday. Really enjoying it so far. I have a few scattered thoughts on it.

I haven't had any issues with the build quality. There is a little creakiness around one of the edges, but that is to be expected since the backing is clipped on rather than glued (which means it's user serviceable) and it's not a concern at all.

The display is nice, but it's no "new iPad" display. I've been spoiled by the high quality display on my Galaxy Nexus. The pixel density and colour reproduction on the Nexus 7 are noticeably lower, but that's to be expected. It still looks good, better in my mind than my Playbook or Nook Color. Touch responsiveness is excellent.

This thing is fast. Noticeably faster than my phone. Web pages load quickly in Chrome, and games are all smooth and responsive. I found typing in portrait mode much more intuitive than I expected. I'm still faster with a real keyboard, but I can type much faster than I thought I would be able to.

I think the hybrid phone/tablet interface works well. The notification shade looked odd to me at first, but I got used to that pretty quick, and I actually like the way they have done it now.

The battery life is impressive. Based on my experience so far, I think it'll last somewhere between 15-20 hours web browsing. That's much better than my Nook Color on Gingerbread. It uses microUSB, but the charger is not a standard microUSB. Like the Nook Color, it carries more charge than a standard USB cable (I think it has 2 extra pins). You can use a standard microUSB cable to transfer data to and from a PC, and you can charge with one, but it's extremely slow. That's a little disappointing, but it makes sense with the larger battery.

I've found the app ecosystem to be pretty good. The 7 inch form factor means that phone apps don't look nearly as out of place stretched out as they would on a 10.1 inch screen. Twitter, which looks pretty awful on a 10.1 inch tablet looks alright on my Nexus 7. Some apps work really well on this screen size. The IMDb tablet app looks fantastic, for example. Others, however, are clearly designed for 10.1 inch tablets and feel cramped on the smaller screen. MLB At Bat is a particularly noticeable offender.

I really believe that scale-able interfaces are the way to go for Android. Without the set screen sizes of iOS devices, developers need to have their apps adjust automatically; in many ways 10.1 vs 7 inch is as different as 7 vs 4.5 inch so simply having a tablet app vs a phone app just doesn't work. Google's own apps are great examples of how this should be done. Hopefully sales of the Nexus 7 will be enough to get developers going.

for $210/260 this is a really good buy. However, this is not an iPad replacement or competitor any more than a netbook is a full-sized laptop replacement or competitor, it's an entirely different market segment. If you like the 7 inch form factor like me, then there is nothing better on the market at the moment. If you need/want the screen size of an iPad then don't buy this tablet, or you will be disappointed.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #30 of 251 (permalink) Old 2012-07-29, 12:06 PM

Picked one up for my nephew as a gift. From day 1, he had screen issues with it. By day 3, it refused to turn on at all.

Back to Staples, for a no questions asked replacement.

So far so good......and he really loves it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in