Android 4.1 "jelly bean" to be released this month - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Android 4.1 "jelly bean" to be released this month

Google has said the aim is to get the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Xoom running Android 4.1 in mid-July 2012. It will release the Google Android 4.1 Jelly Bean SDK to manufacturers at the same time meaning companies like Sony Mobile, HTC and others, can start porting the new mobile operating system to their own devices.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4627...-update-coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 02:55 PM

That article is old. The SDK and source code have already been released, and the roll-out to yakju and takju Galaxy Nexus devices has already begun.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 03:20 PM

just waiting for aokp to switch over so i can try it out.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-13, 01:13 PM
Veteran

Checking for system updates and doing *#*#CHECKIN#*#* was not doing anything but then I did "clear data" and "force stop" in Google Services Framework and then the OTA update came within a few seconds.

Does say that downloads are over wifi only for now.

Anyway, that trick (which I read about elsewhere) worked like a charm for me. So if you're on a Google pushed version of ICS and you're tired of waiting but don't want to flash manually, give that a try.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 08:29 PM

I've been using Jelly Bean for a few days now and I have a few scattered thoughts on the changes.

There are significant improvements, but the difference is nothing like the jump from 2.3 to 4.0 (which should be expected from a decimal update).

The effects of project butter are really noticeable. Everything feels much smoother and faster, especially loading and screen transitions. It will be interesting to see how it performs on a Nexus S.

The expanded notifications are useful, and make the notification system much easier to use. I suspect I'll see even more benefit as app makers adjust their apps to offer rich notifications. I really, really hope that includes adding an "archive" button to Gmail notifications.

I really like where they're going with the UI, but I feel like in some ways the UI design is less consistent than it was in ICS. Things like the new notification shade and Google Now don't quite match the older parts of the OS. I'm sure that will be fixed through future updates though.

Google Now is pretty cool. A lot of the stuff could be done before by Voice Actions, but this setup seems more functional and more usable. Now identified my most common locations pretty quickly, and now provides traffic updates for those places when it thinks I'm likely to go there. It also pulls information from my Google searches on the PC and uses that to identify my interests. If you're the kind who's worried about Google knowing too much about you, you won't like this, but I think it's a really neat way to aggregate information in order to make my phone work better for me.

I'd like to see more integration of Now with non-Google Android apps. Now claims to be capable of searching certain other apps, but I don't see it happening much. If I click on a Now card for route information for the TTC stop I'm nearby, it opens details up nicely in Google Maps. But if I search for the actor who played Alfred in The Dark Knight Rises, it finds that information on the internet, rather than searching the IMDB app (even though IMDB is on its list of searchable apps). While Now was able to identify that I'm a Blue Jays fan from my Google searches, clicking the box score on a card for a Jays game loads the MLB mobile site, even though I have the official MLB At Bat app on my phone. I think that's a change that Google and app makers will make together going forward, it's the biggest flaw I see with Now at the moment.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-16, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

well i hope google does not run into any problems with the nexus S build like ICS. i couldn't believe how long it took
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 07:19 AM
Veteran

TOCOLLIN: Do you use chrome for your pc and android browser? I use chrome on pc but cannot stop using Dolphin. Something about its swipe to bookmarks/history/most visited im having trouble loosing when i do use chrome mobile..

I am assuming thats why it picks up on your pc searches right?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 02:28 PM

I use Chrome on my PC and my Android phone, and I really like the Chrome for Android app, but that's not why Now picks up my desktop searches. Now will pick up any Google searches, regardless of the platform or browser, as long as you're signed into your Google account at the time.

Chrome will keep a list of my past visited sites, open tabs, and bookmarks synced from PC to Android, but that's a separate thing.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 03:49 PM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I use Chrome on my PC and my Android phone, and I really like the Chrome for Android app, but that's not why Now picks up my desktop searches. Now will pick up any Google searches, regardless of the platform or browser, as long as you're signed into your Google account at the time.

Chrome will keep a list of my past visited sites, open tabs, and bookmarks synced from PC to Android, but that's a separate thing.
I was wondering about this very thing ... if I get a Nexus tablet but leave it at home most of the time will Now still know through my phone use (Android, but not current enough to have Now) about where I work or my location patterns? If so that would make it pretty powerful tho I can certainly see that the real advantage is when all devices are Now-aware.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 04:46 PM

Maybe, I'm not sure if it can gather that kind of information. Google searches you make on your phone will definitely be indexed though.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-17, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Google searches through the website also track your location and feeds that into Latitude if you have a google account. I often search through my home computer (remote controlled) from work and hence Google is constantly confused as to where I actually am.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 12:38 PM
Veteran

I must admit that the lack of Flash in Jelly Bean is ticking me off. A few sites I visit use it.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

install the adobe flash app from google play
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:09 PM
Veteran

The last supported Flash version for Android will be Ice Cream Sandwich, according to Adobe. It doesn't even show up in the Play Store if you search from a Jelly Bean phone.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-07-18, 03:18 PM

there are apk's on xda if you search

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in