Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Would/Will You Buy A Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)?
Already pre-ordered one 9 20.93%
Gotta pre-order one ASAP 0 0%
Will wait for release and user experiences 17 39.53%
Can't afford one 2 4.65%
Not interested (please explain) 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Question Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)

The dual CPU North American version of the Samsung Galaxy S III mobile phone is coming soon to all the major carriers in Canada that offer LTE networks. The expected release date has been pushed back from June 20 to June 27 due to concerns about enough stock for what is likely to be huge demand. Pre-orders are being taken.

Reviews of the already-released International version have been extremely positive.

Would/Will You Buy A Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)? (take the poll)...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 05:04 PM

In March I replaced my iPhone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy Note and I haven't looked back. I absolutely love my mini-tablet and would buy a SGS III in a heartbeat if I was looking for a new phone. IMHO, the SGS III has the best balance of beautiful design, screen size and powerful performance to lead the pack. I still own an iPad 2 (an amazing device!) but find I'm using it less and less, when my Note also makes and receives phone calls. It does so many things so well, and will only get better when the ICS update arrives.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 08:39 PM
Veteran

I pre-ordered from FS... Blue but with the promise i can take white if I dont like the blue.(just cannot make an honest decision on that blue color without seeing it in person)

For me this will be my first NON HTC smartphone. Since the HTC touch to my Desire i have now..... My first choise for my next phone was the ONE X but of course TELUS don't have it. Im all about subsidized phones so i opted to go for the GS3.... I pray that touchwiz keeps me as happy as SENSE always has. As a ROM flashing adict i try alot of stuff and constantly come back to SENSE.. please touchwiz be good to me

Totally sucks im not picking up my phone tomorrow.. Ordered my cases and a USB ON THE GO cable last nite..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 11:33 AM

I voted "not interested" as I already have a Galaxy Nexus with ICS which has everything but LTE** And as yet Rogers don't have LTE in my immediate area. Now it maybe I am wrong here 'cos for all the things the Nexus does well it is not much of a telephone and maybe the SIII is better at that.

** I read somewhere that a jailbroken Nexus only needs a different battery from an LTE Nexus to do LTE...that the battery contains the LTE antenna
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 12:02 PM
Veteran

While off-topic, that is simply untrue. The GSM/HSPA version does not have the baseband processor containing the LTE radio. The battery only has an NFC antenna. Even if it had an antenna for LTE, you'd still need the actual radio.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 01:30 PM

I'll probably skip this generation.

I have a Galaxy SII running ICS (CyanogenMod 9) and absolutely love it. Stable, fast, great battery life. Why would I upgrade just for a bigger screen and quad-core. Most apps won't even use them to their fullest anyway.

Now, if my wife's SGS dies, I could contemplate the SIII and pass my SII to her
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Cyanogen himself now officially works for Samsung and there is already a CyanogenMod for the Galaxy S III.

post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 02:55 PM

He does, but there is a huge team behind him. I doubt he's had actual hands on with his ROM for quite a while.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

A huge team behind him sounds like a good thing.

post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo View Post
Why would I upgrade just for a bigger screen and quad-core. Most apps won't even use them to their fullest anyway.
The North American version is not getting the quad core. We are stuck with the dual code only.

One more reason not to upgrade? At least, not from the SII.....
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 11:41 AM

Would like one but...

I had to check the "Not Interested" button. That's the closest one to my decision.

If I were in the market for a new smartphone, this would be the one.

However my Nexus S is only 15 months old, and working great for me. So I cannot justify changing my phone just to get the latest and greatest. I suspect that there are many people like me.

For those that are getting the Galaxy S III, you're getting a sweet phone. Once you get it, don't look back for at least 2 or 3 years, because new phones come out every month it seems.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

rfielder, there is a difference in the processors due to inherently different requirements for LTE, not in regards to performance of the handset itself.

post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 07:17 PM
Veteran

2gig of ram is the bonus for the lack of cores...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 08:28 PM
Veteran

Aside from graphics performance, the latest dual-core phones (like our Galaxy S III & the HTC One X) are still performing very well compared to the quad-core Exynos. The 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm S4 processor is quite a bit better than the dual-core Exynos found in the Galaxy S II & the Note.

Given how Android may not be optimized the best for multi-core use, it's not out of the ordinary to see why a dual-core CPU may be able to keep up with a quad-core.

As for the Galaxy S III, I've decided against it myself; mainly because of the fact I'm getting tired of Android fragmentation, and I especially don't like Touchwiz. I'm also not a fan of the ever-increasing size of these phones.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-21, 10:04 PM
Veteran

touchwiz has me worried.... i am really not sure if i will like it..

Tags
android , galaxy , lte , samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in