Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Would/Will You Buy A Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)?
Already pre-ordered one 9 20.93%
Gotta pre-order one ASAP 0 0%
Will wait for release and user experiences 17 39.53%
Can't afford one 2 4.65%
Not interested (please explain) 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 11:11 AM
Veteran

press hold home key. middle bottom button is the google now.

Or go to your app drawer and grab the google app icon and put it on your home screen.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 12:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
thanks; I also just realized that tapping in the Google search widget brings them up as well.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-12-08 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 03:50 PM

Has anyone had their network type change since the update? Everyone at work that updated have gone from HSPA:11 to UMTS:3. Funny thing is that I think it's just displaying it wrong. I can lock the phone to HSPA only and it will still show UMTS:3. The people here that are still on ICS show HSPA:11. Since we're all right next to each other, we would have to be on the same network. Weird.

post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 04:16 PM
Veteran

I'm guessing it's more of a battery saving thing. When the device is idle, it's dropping to UMTS:3 (which appears to be the slowest connection possible on an HSPA connection). Try streaming something, and then go into the Status page and you should see the Mobile Network type change (Mine would show HSPAP:15). You may have to tap on the Mobile Network Type a few times to get it to refresh.

So, either the ICS build was displaying it wrong (i.e. not refreshing properly), or the phone now drops to a lower speed when idle. Either way, it shouldn't really affect your data speeds at all.
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 04:28 PM

Just tried Netflix. Pretty awful here at work. Still shows UMTS:3 I'll try from another area after work. You would think that by locking to HSPA it would stay on it. At home I swore it was flicking back and forth between UMTS:3 and HSPAP:15.
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 05:08 PM

Can you run a speed test?

UMTS and HSPA networks are essentially the same thing. It's the same network, just different connection speeds. Android, by default, drops to UMTS when idle because it's far more power efficient. It ramps up to HSPA 7, 14, 21, or 42, depending on the network and phone, when the device is under load.

It's possible that a bug in your update has stopped the device from ramping up to higher speeds. Try running a few speed tests and see what speeds you can hit. If it goes about 3.6 Mbps then it's just a display error. If it won't go above 3.6 then you may be stuck on UMTS, though it's still no guarantee.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Pretty sure they took away one of the network options in jellybean.. Seem to recall more options to select instead of lowing auto selection of networks. Lte gsm ect

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 06:55 PM

I can get 7 to 8 mbps at home while doing a speed test. I'm also inclined to believe it's a display error. I still have the same network options in Jelly Bean. It's strange so I thought I would see if others were reporting the same thing. My co workers are experiencing it too.
post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 06:58 PM

If you're getting 7-8 Mbps then you are at minimum on HSPA+ 14, and more likely 21.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero G View Post
I can get 7 to 8 mbps at home while doing a speed test. I'm also inclined to believe it's a display error. I still have the same network options in Jelly Bean. It's strange so I thought I would see if others were reporting the same thing. My co workers are experiencing it too.
No LTE in your area then?
post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 08:10 PM

Sadly no LTE just 4G. Hell for North West Ontario, I'm happy with that for the most part.
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 11:06 PM
Veteran

The option that appears to be missing is GSM Only (and/or GSM+HSPA) ; both of which are pointless on a Bell or Telus device as they don't operate GSM networks. I find if I tap on the Network Status a few times when it's actively transferring data (the arrows light up) then I'll see the connection change.
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-14, 12:29 PM

Update for Jelly Bean is now available for Wind Network users. (I just updated mine).

Bell 6400,4100,6141, Sony KDL70R550A
Garmin c340 265WT 1490T 295W 2460LMT PS3 BB Z30, ojocam Pro dashcam
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 12:28 AM

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
We now have LTE in most of the larger centers in Alberta. Been that way for a couple of weeks now. Wow, does it ever kick the snot out of battery power though! My phone comes off my charger at 6 am everyday and doesn't go back on until 10pm every night. When I am out in the country and on a 4G network, I will have 40 to 50% battery life left by the time I put it back on the charger. When I am in the city all day, I am lucky if I have 10% left by 10pm and sometimes as low as 6%. I use the 2X battery app, but have read that it only controls 4G connectivity. Is anyone else noticing the same. I am still impressed with the battery life being that I use the phone all day for calls, emails, texts, and even photos and more stuff that I know I'm forgetting about.
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-12-19, 09:45 AM
Veteran

That sounds about right. My office has wifi but the signal is poor which caused even worse battery performance so I set my phone to switch wifi off when in sleep mode.

Tags
android , galaxy , lte , samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in