Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Would/Will You Buy A Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)?
Already pre-ordered one 9 20.93%
Gotta pre-order one ASAP 0 0%
Will wait for release and user experiences 17 39.53%
Can't afford one 2 4.65%
Not interested (please explain) 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 11:37 AM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
I see that FutureShop is having a one day sale this Thursday offering the Galaxy S3 for 0.00 for a 3 year contract (Telus); this might just be enough to entice me to upgrade from my Desire.

Anything to care about when buying/upgrading through a retailer? I've always just bought my phones through Telus directly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was in Future Shop last week and the rep told me about the VIP sale. I was planning to stop by for a new TV. Now I think I'll pick up an SG3. It will only cost me ~$100 to buy out my LG Optimus One (had to test the Android waters).
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-30, 10:28 PM

I have had mine for a couple of months now, awesome phone, and the LTE speeds are incredible!

I use it for tethering my laptops and tablets as well now that I switched over to the latest promo plan that includes 6GB of data...

post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 11:28 AM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
yep, got mine at FS last week & while it's a touch larger than I'd like it really is everything it's touted as (I tend to keep it in my front pocket - mind you it's so thin & light that makes up for it).

Looking forward to getting the JB upgrade sometime soon to see Google Now work on this thing.
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 12:45 PM

would you trade?

would you consider this trade?

i have a factory unlocked 64gb iphone 4s for a new S3...

i'm tempted. any other converted apple users?
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyr View Post
would you consider this trade?

i have a factory unlocked 64gb iphone 4s for a new S3...

i'm tempted. any other converted apple users?
At $850 new for an iPhone 4S 64GB unlocked from Apple, I would try to sell it and buy the Galaxy S III rather than trade. Depending on the condition of your phone, you could get close to the price of the new one. Then you'd be able to afford a few accessories for your new Galaxy. But you'll have to do it soon before the iPhone 5 comes out...

BTW, I switched from an iPhone 4 to the S3 and I'm so glad I did. I love iOS, don't get me wrong, but I love the customizability and features of the S3 and Android so much better. The iPhone served me well, but my wants and needs have outgrown what it could offer to me.
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've had my ad on kijiji to sell this phone privately but even listing at $700 has created zero interest. Lots of very low ball offers of $500 and under.

You're right about getting rid of it before the iPhone 5 or I'm going to have a whole other contingent of phone flippers to deal with this fall.

The galaxy S3 is $700+ to buy outright and with the slight depreciation of the iPhone 4S since it's release... perhaps a trade straight across isn't a bad idea?
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-08-31, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Come to think of it, you're right. Might just be less of a headache to trade. The difference could be considered a "convenience fee" so to speak Sorry if I complicated things with my suggestion previously.
post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-09-03, 12:06 PM

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpien View Post
At $850 new for an iPhone 4S 64GB unlocked from Apple, I would try to sell it and buy the Galaxy S III rather than trade. Depending on the condition of your phone, you could get close to the price of the new one. Then you'd be able to afford a few accessories for your new Galaxy. But you'll have to do it soon before the iPhone 5 comes out...

BTW, I switched from an iPhone 4 to the S3 and I'm so glad I did. I love iOS, don't get me wrong, but I love the customizability and features of the S3 and Android so much better. The iPhone served me well, but my wants and needs have outgrown what it could offer to me.
I also switched from Iphone 4. Ive had an IOS phone for the last 5 years and its been great but i was getting bored of the interface and size of the screen. Was going to wait for the new Iphone but when i saw they were only resizing the screen to 4 inches (one more row of apps) and with IOS 6 already tested on my Iphone 4, i wanted a change.
The S3 is the greatest phone ive ever owned and Android has really come a long way app wise. The apps were my main concern when switching from Apple but i see now that the Play market is just as rich in all kinds of apps and widgets.
The screen on the S3 is unreal! Colors pop and the size is just right. Battery life is more than enough for my daily needs and im a very heavy user.
Main differences with the iphone (the new one coming as well) is upgradeable storage, battery replacement and screen size.
Im not sure i would of changed my phone if i didnt already have an Ipad because i would miss the App store and Apples future offerings but now its the best of both worlds.
post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-09-03, 01:32 PM

anyone know whne we will get Jelly Bean (4.1) for the S3? Is it Bell/Rogers pushed or is it from pushed from Samsung?
post #41 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-09-03, 04:29 PM

It will most likely be controlled by your provider, not by the manufacturer.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
post #42 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-09-03, 05:27 PM

Once the manufacturer completes the update, they send it to the carrier who tests and approves it prior to release.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #43 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-09-04, 08:11 AM
Veteran

With telus. Just got OTA update 86meg.. Not jelly bean. So far only new thing I noticed is brightness control added to the slide down notification area..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #44 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-11-28, 01:52 AM
Veteran

Samsung is set to start rolling out Jelly Bean to Canadian Galaxy S III owners starting Monday, December 3rd.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/27/sa...-december-3rd/

Hopefully it's to all Canadian carriers fairly quickly and that the update process goes smoothly. I just got mine, and while it runs great on ICS, I can't wait to have Google Now on my phone with 4.1.

Anyone know if updates are still being done through KIES or has Samsung finally started using OTA updates?
post #45 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-11-28, 09:33 AM
Veteran

My SG3 is from Rogers. Last update came through Wifi.

Please note that the updates have to come from your carrier, unless you can get a copy through Kies. This means that Samsung gives the update to Rogers, Bell, etc, and then the carrier has to pass it on to you.

Hopefully that will not additional delays.....

Tags
android , galaxy , lte , samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in