Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: Would/Will You Buy A Samsung Galaxy S III (N. Am. Version)?
Already pre-ordered one 9 20.93%
Gotta pre-order one ASAP 0 0%
Will wait for release and user experiences 17 39.53%
Can't afford one 2 4.65%
Not interested (please explain) 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11
As for the Galaxy S III, I've decided against it myself; mainly because of the fact I'm getting tired of Android fragmentation
I should have been more specific in the OP and the poll that this thread is specifically about this single phone model so that we don't get off topic or restart OS wars that have been discussed elsewhere in great detail.

As for Touchwiz, that's two of you who have misgivings about it, so I'm curious if you'd both explain further and help me understand what the problems might be so I don't find out the hard way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 12:07 PM

@TK

TouchWiz is only Samsung's default "Launcher". There are literally 10's of other launchers that you can use, most of which are free and work much better.

If you don't like TouchWiz, go to Google Play and search for Go Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher, Nova Launcher Prime etc and install one of those. Go Launcher is very popular and comes packaged with a simple "HowTo" to switch. You're not removing TouchWiz, just switching to a different one.

There are some beautiful, highly functional/customizable launchers. TouchWiz is just one. Personally, I use Nova Launcher. It is SO good, I paid for the Prime upgrade. Very, very similar to TouchWiz, but much quicker, easier and more stable.

That said, apparently the "new" TouchWiz in Samsung's edition of Android is much improved over previous Gingerbread iterations. I'd probably suggest to try it first for a while. If you don't like it...simple to install something else.

Last edited by cambo; 2012-06-22 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clarrification
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks for that, cambo - Touchwiz is not a show-stopper then if you can easily replace it. I'm all about customizing everything I own, so that sounds great.

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-22, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Ya i know about other launchers. I guess i am more worried about missing htc sense. I have used it for so long. I just like way it works with my contacts. It finds links between a contact i add with facebook and twitter without my having to do the hard work... I have used many roms on my desire, and always end up going back the sense based roms..

That said i purposefully installed a vanilla ICS rom over a month ago to ween me off of sense in anticipation for touchwiz!

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Given how Android may not be optimized the best for multi-core use, it's not out of the ordinary to see why a dual-core CPU may be able to keep up with a quad-core.
If Android is built on a Linux kernel, I would wonder why it would not be good to handle multicore CPUs.
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Android Not Optimized For Multi-Core Chips," says Intel

Yes, I realize that they may be saying this because they don't have a dual-core CPU for smartphones, but they basically point the blame towards the thread-scheduler, and that current ARM-based mutl-core processors aren't efficient from a power & thermal standpoint.

That's why I put the "may not be" line in my earlier post; I'm willing to take this with a grain of salt.
post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-24, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I'm really focused on this particular phone, thanks. Lots of good reviews in the press so far.

post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-06-24, 08:13 AM
Veteran

Finally got to see and hold one... well they where the dummy phones, but at least not the foam dummies my kids could have made... they had them in both colors.....hmmmm decisions... I really liked the white, but the blue is so unique.

Best buy mobile in carlingwood mall Ottawa.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 03:01 AM
Veteran

Well, after re-evaluating things I've been considering getting an S III after all. I thought it was going to be bigger than it actually is given the screen size, but they've really cut down on the bezel (especially on the sides). You guys are right in that one can simply install another launcher if I don't like Touchwiz.

I played around with one earlier last week, and again today at a Telus store, and was impressed with how responsive the phone was. I've seen on other forums that some users have experienced issues with cracks forming on the sides, but I hope a decent case will help with that.

About the only thing I don't like about this phone (at least from the limited time I tinkered with it) is that it doesn't have FM radio like the International version does. Yes, there are options, but I have a feeling with LTE speeds I'm going to want to be really careful of my data usage.

I've always had black/grey phones before, so I think I just might get the white one. If I do, I'll definitely share my feedback on it.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 06:02 PM
Veteran

Well its been a few days now. And I am very happy with my white 16gig GS3.

Pre-ordering with futureshop turned out to be a smart move:
-it was waiting for me on launch day
-i had the choice of color i changed my mind when i paid for it.
-the 20$ gift card turned out to be $25
-the $30++? Telus activation fee was waived by telus...
-I found a class 10 32gig sd card priced incorrectly at 32$(was supposed to be $40) they honored the 32$ price

Ok so how is the phone? Amazing. Coming from an HTC desire with a vanilla ICS rom... the first thing i noticed was the amazingly fast boot time. So my first down load out of the box was Quadrant. I had to benchmark it asap. My best score with the desire was in the 900 range. Out of the box score was high like 5300. Nothing had been installed so nothing else was running in the background that i could tell. Today with many apps and widgets installed i decided to run it again and i was getting a 4745 score. higher then the one x quad core and just a bit higher then my friends rogers one x at 4711.

Touchwiz is... ok. Nothing really exciting plus or minus. I have experienced a few issues inside gallery where all of a sudden im put back to the home screen, no force close or anything just back to home... Same has happened using the camera a few times. I almost thought i was hitting a button to go back or something but im pretty sure i was not.

The center home button feels out of place. and its taking some getting used to. I had 4 on the desire and was used to them. it feels weird having 2 soft buttons and one hard. Should have been all or none.. none being the preferred way. The screen protector installed flush to the top of the button. so when u slide down to the button you don't feel the top edge of the button as the skin is about the same thickness as the buttons protrusion. All things that will grown on me with time...

The wifi icon im not a big fan off. And may look for an alternative. I am never convinced im on wifi when at home. Should be noted my home network is not perfect i know of some low signal hit or miss corners in my house. Im also not convinced its wifi signal is very strong. When i get a chance ill do a side by side wifi signal test with the old desire and this one. Anyway back to the icon. It does not light up in a different color just grey to white. u really have to look at it to see the signal strength. The green/orange arrows are fine, but the meter level not soe much.I would like something a bit more convincing. We use tunein radio app all the time and wifi must be working well or ill be getting hit with data charges.. (side note, tunein for ios has the option to run only on wifi, android version does not give this option)

Battery life is better but not mind blowing. Right now im at 13% after 10hrs.. 9hrs yesterday.

Ill report back with the wifi tests later.

post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Update. Normal work day today...
Battery at this time is at 49% after 10hrs 15min power saving mode is on and have not had WiFi all day

Update 16hr 31min 20%charge left....

post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-09, 10:31 PM
Veteran

It usually comes up. So here is a model comparison chart:

post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Touchwiz is... ok. Nothing really exciting plus or minus.
If you don't like touch wiz, try Nova launcher or Launcher Pro. These are my two faves with Nova slightly edging out Launcher Pro, and Nova is now my default launcher.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-11, 10:26 PM

Samsung Galaxy 3 torture test.

It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Check this out : extreme heat, then extreme cold, followed by a triple drop test, deliberate attempts at screen scratching, and finish off with a dunk in a fish bowl full of water.

Bravo Samsung, I'm truly impressed.

fast forward to the 3:10 mark......

http://cnettv.cnet.com/episode-4-tor...ag=FD.Carousel
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

S. Korea gets a 4-CPU model for its LTE versions

Not sure how or why it happened, but Samsung is outfitting it's home market with quad-CPU LTE phones instead of the dual-CPU LTE models that North America is getting. My guess is that it has something to do with the massive Quallcomm LTE licensing here that requires their chipsets be used, which may or may not be as legally necessary in other parts of the world.

Tags
android , galaxy , lte , samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in