iOS 6 discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 10:34 PM
Veteran

My understanding is that the ipad2 does not get Siri, is that correct? If it is then why, is this? Apple trying to force you to upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 11:31 PM
Veteran

That's correct the iPad 2 doesn't get Siri
post #78 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-21, 11:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
My understanding is that the ipad2 does not get Siri, is that correct? If it is then why, is this? Apple trying to force you to upgrade?
http://www.imore.com/iphone-4s-noise...-port-unlikely

Quote:
It turns out that Apple's Siri voice assistant is enabled by special noise reduction hardware called earSmart, wired right into the Apple A5 processor. The technology is made by Audience, which has an earSmart-less chip in the iPhone 4. The difference is, the iPhone 4 chip was designed to reduce noise when speaking directly into the microphone (like when you're on a phone call), while the chip in the iPhone 4S is designed for a wider field of sound, so you could talk to your phone at arm's-length (as one tends to with Siri) and still benefit from noise cancellation. The bundling of earSmart with the processor explains why the A5 chip was so much bigger than expected, even after taking into account the second core. It also means that, if you're still desperately clinging to the hope that Apple will someday update the iPhone 4 with Siri functionality, now's the time to let go.

post #79 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-22, 12:08 AM
Veteran

I was using Siri on my 3rd gen iPad (or New iPad, whatever it is called) and I was rather impressed how clearly it understood my voice in the midst on a loud TV in the background and my two boys playing loudly in the next room. I guess the noise reduction really works.
post #80 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-23, 12:11 PM
Veteran

The update went extremely smoothly on my iPhone 4S. I've been very happy with iOS 6. I agree that it's not a massive increase in functionality or anything, but there's a lot of small things that have made the experience better. As for the maps, I used Siri to set up turn by turn directions to a location and it worked flawlessly. I know people are grumbly about the Maps app but so far so good for me. I'm sure the flaws will be addressed over time.
post #81 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 10:40 PM

Ios6 crashes air video

To me that's a huge fail as its the main thing our iOS devices use
post #82 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
Ios6 crashes air video

To me that's a huge fail as its the main thing our iOS devices use
Huge fail for who? It is up to the developer to update their apps to work on IOS 6. I hope your now thinking this would be apple's fault.
post #83 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-24, 11:13 PM
Veteran

Air Video works for me on an iPad2 with iOS6.
post #84 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 08:28 AM
Member #1

Quote:
Ios6 crashes air video
Like Wayne, Air Video works fine for me

Quote:
Huge fail for who? It is up to the developer to update their apps to work on IOS 6.
I totally disagree.

I recently upgraded to OS X Mountain lion and everything worked. When I upgrade OS X or Windows, I expect all my applications will continue to work unless Apple or MS specifically state that certain types of apps won't work because of some massive change in the underlying OS.

post #85 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 09:46 AM

Updated 2 3gs's and an iPad 3 last night.everything appears okay so far.I haven't had must time to play yet though.
I wonder how many people will use the "find friends" function?
My wife is unsure about it,and thinks it could be used for questionable motives. Or perhaps she doesn't want me to know where she is !!

I asked siri for the Stampeders score,and siri replied the CFL is not available .
Reminds me of all the features SYNC was supposed to offer in my Ford F-150.Then I read in the very fine print that many features are not offered in Canada.

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
post #86 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Like Wayne, Air Video works fine for me
play a video all the way thru. somewhere along the way after the video finishes, it quits the app and returns to the home screen
post #87 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
play a video all the way thru. somewhere along the way after the video finishes, it quits the app and returns to the home screen
You are obviously describing some custom video player app crashing. I've seen many of those do the same thing, without AirPlay and long before iOS6. Just another buggy app.
post #88 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 09:10 PM

Eh, quit trolling

Air video is the standard that all iOS video is compared against. For it to be suddenly having issues is an oversight.
post #89 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 10:21 PM
Veteran

You need to check out the definition of "trolling". I can help by quoting a trolling post from this thread:
Quote:
Ios6 definetly making me appreciate ics more
Your second sentence from your last post doesn't make any sense. What is "all iOS video"?
post #90 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-25, 10:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
For it to be suddenly having issues is an oversight.
Or the developer used an obsolete API or twiddled about in an unauthorized way.

There's an update coming: http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/5794.page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in