iOS 6 discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Why is that?
Because it happens almost every time you do a sync. The current "limited" backup is long enough, waiting at least an hour every time a backup is due will be unbearable. I know it all could be done better, but the way it is is the most foolproof. Apple still think that advanced backup features are over the head of most users, and they don't want to allow users to completely drop the backup process on synching, so this is the compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Arthur, you're not making any sense. This isn't rocket surgery.

The iPad can maintain a list of (flash) storage sectors which have changed. When your iPad is in the presence of some sort of NAS device (or cloud storage), it starts backing up the list of sectors that have changed.

If the iOS file system isn't sufficiently sophisticated enough, it can track the changes at the file level. This is what MS DOS 3.3 did with the archive flag on files. When the file is changed, the archive flag is raised, and when the backup software backs up said file, the flag is lowered.

Then, when your iOS device is on your home WiFi network (if your backup is on a NAS device), or when it's connected to the internet (if your backup is configured to use the cloud) it starts backing up the stuff that has changed and hasn't been backed up yet. If you're concerned about battery life, then there could easily be a option to only do backups when it's plugged in and charging.

When it loses WiFi connection, it stops backing up, but remembers how far along it made it. It doesn't need to disrupt the user, it doesn't even need to tell the user "hang on, I'm backing up here...". In fact, it doesn't need to be doing these things while the user is actually using the device.

The reason why I'm amazed by your position is that this is something that computers have been doing for decades now. It's the same pattern. Mac OS X does it, and there is no technical reason why iOS couldn't do it too.

You mention the 64GB of data as if that is some barrier, but Mac OS X devices typically have much more storage, and typically perform operations that would cause more file updates, not less. Yet this doesn't seem to prevent people from successfully using Time Machine.
post #48 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 02:52 PM

Same here, upgraded my iPhone and iPad last night and had no issues at all. Took about 25 minutes for download/upgrade/reboot. So far, so good. Upgraded via device itself, not iTunes.

post #49 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
The reason why I'm amazed by your position is that this is something that computers have been doing for decades now. It's the same pattern. Mac OS X does it, and there is no technical reason why iOS couldn't do it too.
I can think of there possible explanations:

1.Things are dead simple, but not a single engineer at Apple knows how to do a simple backup of a small flash memory device. You should send Apple a link to this thread.
2. Things are much more complicated and there are countless other issues you have not considered in your "backup for dummies" crash course.
3. Apple actually know how to do it, they can do it, but hate their customers and don't do it.

If you have any other possible explanations, please feel free to share.
post #50 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 03:44 PM
Veteran

4. It is really low on Apple's priority list. Facebook integration matters to them more.

I don't think Apple hates their customers; even though they've just released a maps application which could support that theory.
post #51 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Yeah, you might be right. It's pretty low on their priority list, just below Adobe Flash Player support.
I see now how the third theory is also possible. iOS 6 hurts Google, Google is not evil, therefore Apple is evil, so no wonder they hate their users.
post #52 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm not entirely clear what you're suggesting here Arthur. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that a single Apple engineer should be able to bang off a complete backup system on a rainy Saturday afternoon. It's not necessarily "easy" to implement, but it's something Hugh and Audacity, I presume, believe Apple should be spending significant resources on designing.

It's possible Apple just can't think of a way to do it well that works with their vision for iOS. If that's the case, I don't think they're trying hard enough. It's also possible that the resource cost for Apple can't be justified. But they have more resources than anyone in the world, so I can't buy that. If they don't have the manpower for something like that, then it's time to hire some more engineers.

If by being behind Flash, you're suggesting that Apple never intends to implement a backup system, then that's just silly. I'm sure Hugh and Audacity aren't the only people who would like to see something like that.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #53 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 04:59 PM
Member #1

FWIW, this stuff was being backed in the past but it appears that Apple removed the functionality.

I complained about it over two years ago in this thread iPad is taking forever to back-up and sync.Presumably because the back-ups were whole images (not incremental) and were taking too long.

My guess is that rather than fixing the problem, Apple just chose to eliminate the functionality

post #54 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Usage of Apple’s iOS 6 Hits Staggering Levels on First Day of Availability

Quote:
However, new data from Chitika shows a massive adoption in just the first 24 hours that the software was available. The firm said that, within the first day, iOS 6 peaked at more than 15 percent of Web traffic to its mobile ad network, and has remained at that level.

That doesn’t mean that 15 percent of devices are using the new operating system, since presumably those upgrading on the first day are heavy users more likely to access the Web on a daily basis. Still, it’s a staggering achievement.

By comparison, Chitika notes that the latest version of Android — Jelly Bean — achieved just a 1.5 percent adoption in its first two months.
http://allthingsd.com/20120920/usage...ity/?mod=tweet
post #55 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 05:57 PM
Veteran

I don't recall iTunes ever backing up the copied from PC to iDevices media files. I don't know why Hugh thinks so.
Backing up the whole thing, incrementally or in full, is the easiest thing in the world in terms of logic. A fifth grader (audacity too ) can write within a day a program to do it. Still, both of you are saying that the reason we don't have it yet is because Apple allegedly struggles to find the resources, possibly because of other priorities.
Silly me.
post #56 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 09:19 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Silly me.
Exactly.

post #57 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Ouch! Sorry, Apple, we jost got served
post #58 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 10:00 PM
Veteran

no siri for my wifes iphone4.. Somehow i had thought she was gettin it.. Oh well. She reported and easy upgrade and has not reported any issues. She is very happy that she can now share pictures to facebook and other places from within the picture roll.

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #59 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 10:10 PM
Veteran

I have to agree there is no excuse why iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri, turn-by-turn navigation, panorama and FaceTime over cellular. Obviously a not very subtle nudge for iPhone 4 owners to upgrade, but we from the only land of 3 year contracts have every reason to be very upset.
post #60 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 11:43 PM

I listen to podcasts on my way to work. After upgrading (?) I have found that podcasts have been banished from the Music app and are only in the podcast app. Seems harmless, right?

When I start my car and either use Bluetooth audio or my iPod direct connection it auto plays where you left off. Now it will load the music or load the first podcast it finds (alphabetical). I now have to navigate through to change to the correct podcast each time.

My Navigon GPS app now cannot pause the podcasts when it speaks so it talks over the podcast and I cannot use the iPod integration within the app.

Then there is maps... :-/

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in