iOS 6 discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Just finished updating my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 using iTunes. Each device took around 20 minutes. Looking forward to checking out the new features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:41 PM

Just finished iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad 2. Super easy.

Samsung LN52B750 | Pioneer VSX-919H-K | Energy TC 5.1's | Samsung BD-4600 | Shaw HD PVR
post #33 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 07:18 PM

Yikes, the wifi on my 4S has stopped working. Our iPad 2 and 3GS are fine though. A quick Google search tells me I'm not the only one with this problem.

post #34 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 07:52 PM

Same here. Did you get a log in screen with a 404 error page? I had to reset my router. All is fine now.

Edit: Worded that wrong. It was a Apple log in page.
post #35 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by querty-m4n View Post
Same here. Did you get a log in screen with a 404 error page? I had to reset my router. All is fine now.
No, it kept sending me to the Apple.com Log In page. I just fixed it now by doing this:

Settings > Wi-Fi > (Network...) > "Blue Circle Arrow"

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and set:

HTTP Proxy to Auto
post #36 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 10:35 PM
Veteran

What actually caused the wifi issue:

Quote:
If you have a new iOS 6 install, you may have experienced a temporary WiFi outage this evening. The problem seems to have stemmed from an unavailable Apple webpage. According to Steve Streza, iOS 6 pings a test URL.

When the web page at that URL went down, so did WiFi access. This URL is meant to allow captive portal network detection at venues like hotels. The problem seems to have been resolved on Apple's end, and WiFi access is, as far as we know, restored for iOS 6 users. If the problem persists, you may have to toggle Wi-Fi off/on on your iOS device.
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/19/apple...device-wifi-n/
post #37 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the information
post #38 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 07:33 AM
Member #1

Well, I'm really peeved off.

I thought that after initial problems, my iOS 6 update was successful. Last night when I went to do some reading I discovered that all my Globe and Mail content was gone (14 newspapers), all my Zinio magazines were gone (about 70 or 80 magazines) and all my Newstand content (includes SI, FOrutune, Economist, Business Week) were all gone.

If I want it back, I now have to redownload all the content. This may not seem like a big deal to some but its over 8GB of content that has to be downloaded one piece at a time which means hours and hours of time wasted.

My wife does not want me to update her iPad as she simply does not want to have to go through the same ordeal.

Lately I have held Apple in pretty high regard but not today.

post #39 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Hugh, I feel your pain. I updated 4 of our iOS devices last night (straight over Wifi) and it was a breeze.

However, this morning, I have on average 50 apps that needed updating on each device. And I still have 2-3 devices to go. Apps over 50MB can't be updated over 3G (another pet peeve of mine / let me do what I want with my huge data plan). This in turn makes it a pain to step outside a Wifi network.

I haven't looked at my Zinio and other content to see if there were any problems. I'm sure I'll find something missing somewhere.

But the biggest thing absent from this thread thus far is: Where's the beef?

I know, I know... I own an iPhone 4. But this feels more like a .1 update than a new, full version of the OS. There might be 200 features, but last night, after updating, it took me about 20 minutes to figure out my iPhone could hardly do any of it!!! My iPad 1 is shut out of the equation entirely.

I think iOS and its dated look and feel is quickly becoming the weakest link in the Apple's hardware / software / app ecosystem strategy.
post #40 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:01 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Where's the beef?
Agreed. I love my iPad but nothing on iOS 6 interests me and some of the new features (i.e. maps and greater facebook integration) are big negatives. The clock app is late in coming and I already have several 3rd party apps for timer and alarms which are far superior.

I wish Apple would work on real life problems such as being able to print from an iPad to a network printer without 3rd party apps or having to buy a new printer and the ability to do a complete backup of data from my iPad.

post #41 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:35 PM
Veteran

I agree that iOS 6 benefits mostly iPhone 4S and the new iPad. Both get every new feature and the latter is especially lucky for getting Siri. Other devices may not be worth the upgrade. I had over 12,000 pictures in hundreds of albums on my new iPad, and after the upgrade the albums were all gone (the photos were still there, but unorganized). I had to resync, unchecking hundreds of check boxes in iTunes, and then copy all photos again. Stuff like this happens after every upgrade. It is annoying, no doubt, but nothing has really been lost by me yet, and soon you forget about it.
post #42 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I wish Apple would work on real life problems such as being able to print from an iPad to a network printer without 3rd party apps or having to buy a new printer and the ability to do a complete backup of data from my iPad.
A full backup of a completely filled up 64 Gigabyte device is an unrealistic proposition, even through cable. Especially when that content is just a copy of other content, which exists elsewhere - music, videos, photos. You cannot use the iPad for backup for those because you cannot transfer them back. So you already have the original data (backed up or not) elsewhere.
post #43 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
A full backup of a completely filled up 64 Gigabyte device is an unrealistic proposition, even through cable.
Why is that?
post #44 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:50 PM
Member #1

I can backup a 3TB hard drive so I don't see how a backing up a 64GB ipad is "unrealistic." The first backup could take a while but incremental backups should only take seconds or a few minutes at most.

Quote:
Especially when that content is just a copy of other content, which exists elsewhere - music, videos, photos
You're wrong. Much of my content (newspapers) do not exist elsewhere. My magazines are downloadable again, however, the time to do so is literally hours.

Finally, it would not be difficult to create a backup which allows you to back-up the data on an app by app basis. I'd much prefer useful functions like that than "greater facebook integration"

post #45 of 102 (permalink) Old 2012-09-20, 12:57 PM
Veteran

I agree 100%, Hugh.

It seems even doing a restore on a device that has been backed up screws things up pretty badly at times. For instance, apps may re-appear on an iPhone, but outside folders and without any kind of organization.

Time to ditch iTunes as the only way to manage content on iOS devices. It's a pain. Apple need to start thinking outside the box (never thought I'd say that).

Why not an App for Mountain Lion where you can easily customize what you want backed up or synced with a nice, clean drag-and-drop interface.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in