Windows Phone 7 hardware not upgradable to Windows Phone 8 (aka Apollo) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Windows Phone 7 hardware not upgradable to Windows Phone 8 (aka Apollo)

How many of you have bought a Windows 7 phone thinking that when Microsoft releases Windows Phone 8 (aka Apollo) in late 2012 you would be able to upgrade? Well guess what, you won't!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...aim/?tag=mncol

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/s...upgrades/19867

That's right, the smartphones you bought less than a year ago and the smartphones you are currently buying will not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8. So that shiny new Lumia 900 that you JUST BOUGHT has reached the end of the line before it even got out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 03:17 AM

Um, neither of the articles you linked say that, they both say that it's unsure whether WP7/7.5 devices would be upgradeable to WP8.

Do you have another source, or are you just guessing?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 05:06 AM
Veteran

Right now, Microsoft isn't saying yes or no. Just because they retracted the statement that "all WP 7.5 devices will handle Apollo" does not mean that all of them won't. Microsoft is probably aware that they should provide some kind of updates for people buying new Windows Phones; especially given the demand carriers like AT&T have seen for the Lumia 900. By not releasing an update, Microsoft would pretty much be putting a nail in the coffin for Windows Phone.

That said, don't be surprised if there isn't an upgrade path to Apollo for devices like the Samsung Focus or HTC HD7.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-30, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

More bad news for the Windows Phone platform. LG has announced that they have no more Windows phones planned for the future citing “The total unit of Windows Phone sold in the global market is not a meaningful figure.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25469...s_planned.html
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-30, 06:02 PM

lol cause LG matters.. they have like 2% market share total

honestly all other companys can drop windows phone now that nokia has a long term plan with them.

if you ask me its better that way too so its fully controlled and you don't get all these sudo devices like you in android.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-30, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
if you ask me its better that way too so its fully controlled and you don't get all these sudo devices like you in android.
I would say Android supports a variety of devices that suit more than a pseudo pundit-hipster lifestyle? I prefer choice and control instead of dictatorship-like containment of my phones os and how it works.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-04-30, 09:17 PM

i agree eimaj but windows phone doesnt seem to be going that way. its very ridgid design in form and function
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

It's now official. Current Windows Phone Hardware will not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...e_skin;content

I told you so.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 02:44 PM

Looks like they will be able to get a 7.8 version.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Looks like they will be able to get a 7.8 version.
Big deal! So you get a new tile size, big whoop. None, NONE of the new tech in Windows Phone 8 is available to even current phones on the market today which have been obsoleted by today's announcement.

Also, since the core of Windows Phone 8 is different than Windows Phone 7 it's doubtful that updated, and more importantly, new apps will be supported or ported to Windows Phone 7.x.

So this becomes a double whammy for recent and current buyers of Windows Phones. No new operating system and probably no new apps go forward.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Glad I didn't buy a Nokia Lumia 900 then as I had considered. While I could see the first-generation phones being neglected with the update, excluding even current devices is not a good move by Microsoft. Current Windows Phone owners may consider this a good reason to choose a competing platform for their next handset.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 03:11 PM

reminds me of the winmo 6 days . i had an old HTC diamond that had winmo 6.1 and was never given an option to update it to 6.5. MS hasn't changed at all in the mobile market. at least Google and even apple allows some of their old phones to update to a major version of the OS
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
Big deal! So you get a new tile size, big whoop. None, NONE of the new tech in Windows Phone 8 is available to even current phones on the market today which have been obsoleted by today's announcement.
Easy. I was just stating what the sets will be getting.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 04:11 PM
Veteran

I can see recent Windows Phone purchasers being upset by not having access to WP8.

That said, I think it is more important for Microsoft to move forward with the best technology they can. They'll need all the features announced today if they want to compete successfully with iOS and Android.

If you're the sort of person who doesn't like having your hardware orphaned the same year it's released: don't buy WP7.5 and don't buy Android (which usually ships with out of date software if it's not a Nexus device). This is where iOS should get the credit that it is due. Of course, like iPad 1 users are discussing in another thread, Apple iDevices typically don't stay current for more than 24 months. This isn't a good market to be in if you want to buy a device that will last for 3 years and run the current software that is available.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-20, 04:20 PM
Veteran

I noticed Microsoft is promoting that Windows Phone 8 devices will have updates for 18 months......although I'll believe it when I see it (Google promised the same thing to us last year, and nothing's come from that yet).

Another drawback is that apps created specifically for Windows Phone 8 will not run on the older OS, so I could see these devices being made obsolete quicker than something like the original iPad. Given WIndows Phone's overall marketshare, I can't see vendors creating two versions of their app (one for WP8 and the other for WP7).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in