Windows Phone 7 hardware not upgradable to Windows Phone 8 (aka Apollo) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-27, 08:52 PM

No. Siri is the feature of the 4S. But never mind that - most smart phone customers (and I don't mean the tech geeks) are interested what the phone can do now. They don't care about future proofing their device. If something cooler and better comes around - if they want it, they'll get it.

Getting back to my amorata - she was disappointed she didn't wait and of course the provider or Apple store wouldn't do anything for her (they shouldn't have) but she was ultimately happy with her purchase.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 03:29 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Awwww shooot, I said I would bow out of this thread but I could not resist the urge to straighten out some misconceptions with some reality:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike4881
most smart phone customers (and I don't mean the tech geeks) are interested what the phone can do now. They don't care about future proofing their device
That is not what focus groups show. You are pulling that out of your... ...hat. Consumers are very conscious of their collections of intentionally obsoleted mobile phones that now occupy drawers, boxes in closets, or landfills, and they wish that there was a way to limit the environmental abuse.

Another issue is with manufacturers: the field failure rate (the rate at which customers experience crippling device problems) is always studied meticulously due to the desire/need to confirm to carriers and to potential buyers that development is ongoing towards improving the reliability of said devices. With Windows 7 being dead-ended and Windows 8 needing such time-critical development from such a small number of developers and analysis engineers worldwide it is sad but true that consumers will not be seeing the required resources devoted to their Windows 7.x phone failure issues. No amount of smooth talking will make such engineering personnel magically appear when so few manufacturers are involved.

BTW, Nokia does not even make the Lumia line. They are manufactured by a third party in Taiwan.

Last edited by stampeder; 2012-06-28 at 03:52 AM.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 03:56 AM
Veteran

Given that most people are stuck in 2-3 year contracts, "future-proofing" phones is something even the average consumer would want. I was talking to someone today who had a Captivate (original Galaxy S model), and after seeing a Galaxy Note that I was holding, commenting about all the cool features of current phones that they wish were available to them. As they were stuck in a contract for another year and a half, they couldn't justify paying for a new phone outright.

They aren't a "techie" or a power user, and even they commented on the lack of Ice Cream Sandwich for their phone. I shocked them even more when I mentioned the Galaxy Note also didn't have Ice Cream Sandwich, since it's a phone that Telus is heavily promoting right now. The suggestion of rooting their phone and installing a custom ROM is out of the question (and frankly, I don't think it should have to be done either).

If anything, this idea of abandoning handsets in less than 18 months (half a typical Canadian contract) are showing exactly our 3-year contracts here in Canada is totally absurd. Back in the age of feature phones, it was at least tolerable, but with smartphones it's a different story.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
If anything, this idea of abandoning handsets in less than 18 months (half a typical Canadian contract) are showing exactly our 3-year contracts here in Canada is totally absurd. Back in the age of feature phones, it was at least tolerable, but with smartphones it's a different story.
I am not sure I completely agree with this. My partner and I will have our 3 year contract for our iPhone 3Gs phones end this August. She will likely continue using hers for some time, since she is very happy with it.

Mine has been damaged for a while, but I was not willing to pay the $$$ to get it fixed. Tempted to upgrade when the iPhone 5 was going to be introduced a while ago, but that turned into the iPhone 4s, so I decided to wait.

In other words, a three year contract has been OK for us.

I am a techie, and would love the newest and bestest, but I also dislike upgrading without actual, tangeble (sp?) benefit. Some of the newer Android devices would be a step up, but not such a huge step that it made it imposible to wait to see what the iPhone 5 really looks like.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 12:45 PM
Veteran

rfielder,

How is the battery performance of your iPhone 3G S after almost three years?

My experience has been that by the time your phone (well, your battery) gets to 2-2.5 years old your phone starts having issues because the battery starts to perform poorly, and it certainly doesn't last very long anyone if you actually use your device.

So, when people talk about having a "future proof" phone that goes beyond 2 years, they better be able to replace the battery in their phones (or laptop, or any other Li-Ion powered device). At least with laptops that have a old battery what I've observed that people do is to just leave their laptop plugged into the wall and use it like a desktop. That solution isn't so useful for a mobile phone.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Awwww shooot, I said I would bow out of this thread but I could not resist the urge to straighten out some misconceptions with some reality:That is not what focus groups show. You are pulling that out of your... ...hat. Consumers are very conscious of their collections of intentionally obsoleted mobile phones that now occupy drawers, boxes in closets, or landfills, and they wish that there was a way to limit the environmental abuse.
Tell that to lineups of people who have their old phone in one hand and a wad of cash in the other to get the latest and greatest. Looking at the lineup at the Apple store on the 4S launch date, I didn't get the impression that those folks were "very conscious of their collections of intentionally obsoleted mobile phones that now occupy drawers, boxes in closets, or landfills, and they wish that there was a way to limit the environmental abuse."

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-28, 10:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Anecdotal evidence doesn't help make your case. I'm outta here again.

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
How is the battery performance of your iPhone 3G S after almost three years?
Very little changed from new.

Since we bought them, both phones have had to be recharged every night. Mine is close to dead by the end of a normal day, while it used to be above 20% by the end of day, so there is some degredation.

If using them for anything intensive (TomTom, Runkeeper - continuous GPS is a killer), they will not make it through the day. I have external batteries for them that help a lot and we plug them in when used for navigation in the car.

I suspect we are straying offtopic - if this becomes a discussion, it should be moved into a new topic.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 01:57 AM

People are still buying the iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS and 4. People are still buying Samsung Galaxy S IIs and Blackberry Bolds and Curves. It may not be the path to market dominance, but you can still move stock on a device with a limited future.

Honestly, the only people who have any right to be upset by this are those who bought a Lumia 900, and maybe the Lumia 800. If you bought a Lumia 710 for $250 outright, you shouldn't be upset that you're "only" getting Windows Phone 7.8. If you bought any of the WP7 or WP7.5 devices prior to the Lumia series, you should probably consider yourself lucky your devices are still getting any updates.

Like it or not, that seems to be how this marketplace works. No devices seem to get full featured updates for more than 12 months anymore; they get either nothing at all or stripped down updates.

And people still buy them. The original SGS owners got one update (2.2 to 2.3) and yet Samsung sold millions of SGSIIs and may set records with the SGSIII. The marketplace shows that people care about what the device does now, and they'll worry about the future later.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

...and so it begins.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...mobile_app_dev

From the article:

Quote:
Developers are rapidly losing interest in Windows Phone 7, but see potential in Windows 8
Quote:
The currently available mobile OS from Microsoft, Windows Phone 7, did not fare well in the survey, which found declining interest in Windows Phone 7 devices. The number of developers "very interested" in these phones dropped to 25 percent. The number had been 37 percent in the first quarter of this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in