Custom Roms oh how I love you!!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Custom Roms oh how I love you!!!

About a month ago I got fed up with waiting for my "pure" google Nexus S update (...again, same thing happened with my Milestone) and decided to, yet again, hack my phone.

This time it was even easier as the Nexus S, as I found out through some research, does not even need the bootloader unlocked in order to root and custom rom it. A fine gentleman named DoomLord developed an easy root solution for this device which bypasses unlocking the bootloader and VOILA!, access to everything the phone has to offer!!!

I started with cm7, a modded gingerbread rom, and it was fantastic!!! The phone was even more responsive and the benchmarks were incredible for this device, surpassing many more powerful, dual core phones easily. Then came cm9...UN-FRICKING-REAL!!! Benchmarks are lower and just above what a stock Nexus S does (I'm sure this will change over time as the Geniuses at Cyanogen work on it!!!) but WOW is the user experience BRILLIANT!!! Smooth as glass, games and apps run amazingly, and the Chrome mobile browser is INCREDIBLE (only available with an ics rom)!!! The browser is only in beta, but it has surpassed the default browser, and my go to in Dolphin browser, easily. The only thing it doesn't do yet is flash, but hopefully that comes in time as it is fantastic!!!

Anyway...enough with the cm praise. Just thought I would let you know that I have had yet another great experience hacking my phone and customizing it to my liking, and if you are as frustrated as I was with waiting for Google to get the update out, there are other options available.

Cheers!

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 06:19 PM
Veteran

I'm all about rooting myself. I hear ya loud and clear. My HTC Desire HD is so full of life now. I'm just running a ARHD 6.3.2, which has Sense that I love. But I can't agree yet that mobile Chrome is ready to replace the standard Webkit browser or even Opera. It's beta, so it will get there. And it's cool sharing bookmarks with my desktop Chrome browser.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 10:07 PM
Veteran

I been flashing my htc desire for over a year now i think... I have root and S-off.

Here are 2 new features i use for my flashing adiction:

4EXT Recovery. All the tools you need to partition,wipe,slice n dice your roms is in there, its fully theme-able and uses a touch interface. Nice

-Many chefs are now using AROMA Installer. Now when you flash the zip file you it brings up this installer that allows you to customize your install for your particular setup, various kernels,UI,boot animations ect ect can be chosen before install.

I also have given up on the various backup apps now. I do nadroid backups through recovery only now. When ever i go to flash i do a nadroid backup, nothing gets lost and if that new ROM that required full whip but turns out to suck i just go back..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-29, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

There is a new CM9 nightly with merged 4.0.4 updates out now!!! Just doing my nandroid backup now and will be flashing shortly!!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-31, 08:29 AM

I'm just too much of a chicken to try rooting my phone. Since Google has apparently started or is about to start rolling to update out again, I prefer waiting than risking screwing up my phone as I am new to smartphones and am still quite technologically challenged with them.

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2012-03-31 at 11:58 AM. Reason: language
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-31, 10:07 AM
Veteran

I flashed the nightly build for CM9 on my touchpad... That thing was the best 150$ i have ever spent on technology!

hamster i personally wait till im out of the warranty period.. just in case. But if you take the time to read about your phone and upstand the rooting and flashing process its quite safe... As time goes on the developers are making it easier to do this stuff, and the manufactures are starting to unlock bootloaders inviting developers to do their magic.. There are risks but i have been flashing roms for about 3 years now accross 5 devices and have yet to KILL any phone. Oh i have had issues, but nothing that could not be resolved..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-31, 11:10 AM
Veteran

I think one tip for a new flasher is to stick to a website like Rootzwiki for instructions. Don't go to XDA Developers. Those guys will chew you out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-31, 11:35 AM
Veteran

lots of good read only threads though on xda to get lots of info..

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-03-31, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

@hamster, You can also google that you want to, "root (your device here)" and you will get lots of threads with step by step instructions and there is a good chance there will be a video about it as well if you need the visual.

I was tentative at first as well until Motorola was pulling a fast one with the update to 2.2 for the milestone (my first smartphone)...but when they finally released it, it was total crap. This sealed my decision to root my milestone, go custom rom (cm6), and it was the best decision I could have made for it...until the digitizer died on it 6 months past warranty. Now I'm loving my Nexus S on CM9 nightlies.

Side note: The tech I emailed on the moto support forum about all the issues was a total jerk, finally saying, "if I didn't like it, you can go back to 2.1"...If I could reach through my ethernet line I would have b!#ch slapped him...LAST MOTO PHONE EVER!!! Anyway, enough of the rant.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-04-01, 07:31 PM

Thanks guys. My phone is only 3 months old so I won't risk voiding the warranty, at least not just yet.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2012-04-02, 07:22 AM
Veteran

When anyone is ready to dig in, just google The Advanced Ace Hack Kit.

If you read older rooting threads, you'll read about creating a "gold card". Very confusing stuff. But this AAHK is a one click process that roots your phone. After running it, your phone is simple rooted. It's still the same phone as before....same apps, same everything. It's just that you now have access to loading up root apps, etc.

Then whenever you want to dive in to a custom ROM, you're ready to go. But rooting is just the first step.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in