16 reasons NOT to buy a new iPad (including 7 that haven’t changed from earlier) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-03-18, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Not cheap but not inflated price

If the price was artificially high on the iPad, they wouldn't be selling millions of them and another manufacturer would be able to put out a competitive product at a better price point without taking a bath. Apple's margins are certainly high and the envy of the industry, but they get that mostly from shrewd supply chain buys which most other manufacturers can't do. They also are sitting on a boatload of cash, which makes buying up components easier.

I bought a 1st gen iPad instead of a laptop for front room surfing and light use on the road or at meetings where I need to take minutes. It has done all of that and more. In its current state, it is what I would give my Father and his wife as an internet device, as they had no experience with computers until very recently and struggle with some of the basic concepts. (Had the 1st gen iPad had a camera and iCloud, I would have never bothered with a computer for them.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-03-18, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Here is another viewpoint. It appears that Apple's application interface and app availability may have a lot to do with the iPad's popularity. I don't have much use for tablet apps, outside of a few basic ones like a web browser. Even finding a decent web browser for Android was not that easy. A tablet without decent apps just won't much of an impact in the marketplace.

The iPad Wins Because Android Tablet Apps Suck: An Illustrated Guide

A search for "Android apps vs iPad apps" will turn up lots of similar commentaries. I guess that's a reason in favour of buying an iPad but it still doesn't make me want to. I purchased a 10" Android tablet for about $170 and it works just fine for its intended purpose.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 08:41 AM

The article referenced above sums it up nicely

I own an iPad and an ASUS TF-101 so have had a good opportunity to play with both Android and iOS.

Android apps (for the most part) do generally pale in comparison to the iPad version. Android may be coming into it's own but has a long way to go when you look at the quality of the apps available.

An example I like to use is The Weather Network app. On the iPad it's one one of my "go to" apps. On the TF it sucks. Same with the i.tv app.

One of the things Apple has done right is insist on vetting apps before allowing them to be sold. If Google would hold the apps in their "market" to the same quality standards Android would be much nicer to use.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 10:03 PM

I agree....
I have the new Eee Pad Transformer Prime and the iPad 1.
Most Android apps suck, as the are designed for phones. (try Facebook or Yammer... Ick!)

On the iPad they are laided out much better.
The TF 201 may not be the best Android tablet, as it has any hardware issues and multiple updates to prevent it from rebooting. The .14 update was good and stopped it from rebooting and I look forward to the .21 on Friday.

Smart shoppers always read the fine print.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in