The new iPad is official, with Retina display and A5X CPU - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 03:54 AM
Veteran

I played around with both an iPad 2 and the new iPad today at Future Shop, and I'm confident with my decision to pursue a used/refurb iPad 2. I found the Retina display underwhelming based on all the praise it's received across the Internets. I'll be able to get a used 32GB iPad 2 for close to half the price of a new 32GB new iPad and won't feel like I'm missing out.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper83 View Post
I'll be able to get a used 32GB iPad 2 for close to half the price of a new 32GB new iPad and won't feel like I'm missing out.
If you don't plan to use it for reading text, you have made the right decision. If you do, though, you've made a big, big mistake.
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 10:59 AM
Veteran

I read text on the iPad 2 and it isn't too bad. Some apps I use are better than others. It is diffinately not as good as the iPad 3. Which I found really clear.

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 11:33 AM

Well unless you have super vision or hold your tablet right up to your face the extra dpi of the 3rd Gen doesn't help much... the human eye has limits on how much info it can process.

Check out this informative article on the subject:
http://www.blaha.net/Main%20Visual%20Acuity.php
summary of his findings for 20/20 vision: distance(min dpi for clear image)
6"(405)
8"(304)
12"(203)
18"(135)

Under absolute worst case conditions, (alternating black/white pixels), and perfect 20/20 vision, at a normal reading distance of 18" the eye can't resolve more than 135dpi, (real world case would be even less). The iPad 1gen/2 Gen have 132dpi vs 264 on 3rd gen.

Sure it might look clearer if you tend to read close but for normal use I don't see how the extra dpi is worth 2x the price!

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 11:41 AM

Could be one of those things though that once your eyes adjust to it you can't go back to less. Sort of the same way our eyes adjust to HD television and then the SD versions look so much more horrible. All the while someone who is used to SD TV wont much notice the worse quality if they never see HD.

But yeah is it worth twice as much just for that aspect of it...on such a small screen already?
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Seeing is believing. Text on the older iPads looks like text on an LCD screen. Text on the new iPad looks like text from printed magazine. All this argument goes out of the window if you put an iPad 2 and iPad 3 next to each other and open the same web page.

billpaidjr, you are right that once you see something better that matters to you, you can't go back. I was pleased with the text on the first iPad until the day I got an iPhone 4. Since then I frowned every time I read smaller size text on the iPad, had to zoom in not because I couldn't read it, but couldn't stand the blurry edges, compared to the iPhone 4. I was waiting for this upgrade and it was exactly what I expected.

Also, on first look, existing photos also kind of catch the eye more than on the previous one. Could be placebo effect, though, I will need to examine this more carefully.
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDiggler View Post
I don't see how the extra dpi is worth 2x the price!
Where do you get 2X the price from? Apple is selling the iPad 2 16GB for $419 and the iPad 3 16 GB is $100 more.

I compared my iPad2 up against my friends iPad 3, and the text was amazing on the 3 compared to my 2. However, I still don't mind my 2nd gen, and I will probably not upgrade to the iPad 3. I'll probably wait the year until the 4th gen is out. I could care less about studies on what the human eye should be seeing at 20/20 vission, I just care what looks good to me.

But the problem is, now when I read books, etc.. I can see the flaws in the resolution in the iPad 2 more than i did before.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 02:24 PM

Just got my 3 yesterday and I am happy to have it but the screen is a little underwhelming. Text is definitely better as are high res pictures. For $100 it was worth it. Is it the be all end all, no. Still a great machine though.
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 12:45 PM

Thinking of returning it

I have had the new iPad for a week now. Here is my take on why I will likely return it.

1. I suspect it can be done but it's too difficult to play my own content. Lack of USB port or card reader is a problem.
We were on the road with the family last weekend and we needed to carry a laptop to play DVDs.

2. Sharing the device with my family is very difficult. I would like to see multi user support.

3. I am heavily invested in use of Google products and google apps are not well supported by either google or Apple.

4. Lack of Office product support means I will need to carry two devices for business travel. I like Keynote but I often need to send my presentation deck to others.

5. MB Pro or Air maybe more suitable to my needs.

6. I use Kindle for reading books. I tried using iPad for reading but it really is very heavy for longer reading stints. My eyes are not strained, but my arms are!

7. My son has the Playbook and quite frankly, for the family, it is a great value at $200.

Cheers.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 12:58 PM

Not sure why you even bought the iPad in the first place with the list you provided. Would have been simpler to just go on the internet and do some research before your purchase.
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 01:37 PM
Veteran

I also wonder this. It is well known what ports the iPad does not have and what native file formats it will play. There are apps that will play different file formats, like VLC. You can also use the dropbox app to share your office documents with others. To work on Office docs, you can use an app called OnLive Desktop. I have been using the Kindle app quite frequently recently on my iPad and love it. You are correct, it does get a little heavy after a long reading session, but not enough to prevent me from using it.
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 03:29 PM

"Not sure why you even bought the iPad in the first place with the list you provided."

This is valid criticism to some extent. Not having owned a tablet before, the needs were not as readily apparent.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-26, 04:56 PM
Veteran

With that list, you can discard the MacBook Air too - no DVD.
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-27, 09:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanagee1 View Post
This is valid criticism to some extent. Not having owned a tablet before, the needs were not as readily apparent.
That is a fair statement - until we get involved with something - an activity, a technology, a person, whatever - we don't always know what will be important to us.

That is why I paid $69 for an el-cheapo far east 7" tablet instead of the iPad or Transformer I really "think" I want. The challenges of making something work the way we want, to do the things we think we want to do, can be extremely educational. And eye-opening.

Having played with my little tablet for a while, and having read stuff here about the iPad, I can better understand the advantages of the iPad. For example, my 7" tablet is 800x480. That is nowhere near as sharp as the iPad 3, and in fact is nowhere near as sharp or as nice to read as my iPhone 3Gs. Prior to having the tablet in hand, I would have argued that the difference is minimal, but real world experience has shown otherwise.

I think I would now like to go to a store and play with the iPad 3 for a while. Having educated myself a bit, that time will tell me a lot more than it would have a month ago......
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-28, 08:48 PM
Veteran

I give beanagee1 credit for buying and trying the Ipad.

But I can't agree with paying $70 for a cheap tablet, to decide the cream of the crop Ipad is better. A midrange tablet could be plenty good enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in