The new iPad is official, with Retina display and A5X CPU - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
My first impression is that browsing is absolutely beautiful, no sign of blurring or pixels on the text. It's incredible how much information in small text from this and other sites are clearly legible. Lower res photos are still the same, though.
Agreed. Runs hot though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Found first Retina-related performance issue. Magazines like National Geographic Interactive in Zinio render pages significantly slower as compared to the original iPad. Contacted Zinio and they said a fix has been submitted.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 04:04 PM
Veteran

One thing that I'm seeing a lot of misinformation about is the CPU. I've heard a lot of news stories indicate "the new iPad has a more powerful CPU." Obviously Apple's marketing worked, since people are now being led to believe that the new device actually will perform faster.

I know that the GPU is "twice as fast" as the iPad 2's, and that the GPU is integrated into the processor, but when you have to deal with the 4x screen resolution, a 2x increase in GPU performance won't be enough for a "faster" experience (unless of course you are running apps not optimized for that retina display).

post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 09:28 PM
Rookie

I just picked up the 16GB 4G model. The text is the best I have personally ever seen electronically. Reminds me of the text quality of those glossy magazines. I have yet to scroll fast in Safari and see any unpopulated page space. I can keep several tabs open and switch between them without it reloading pages. Perhaps the 1GB RAM and dual processor cores are paying off? (I'm coming from a first generation model) Maybe someone here can clarify the increased RAM capacity? I'll try something like Geekbench later. Keep in mind, I've only had it for an hour, so these are my preliminary observations, but so far, in my opinion, it's a keeper. BTW for those who may want to save money, I've found that I'm happy with the 16GB model and use an app called FileBrowser to access my NAS for greater storage capacity around the house.

Last edited by 1080i4me; 2012-03-16 at 09:53 PM.
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 10:00 AM

You may want to take a look at Splashtop remote Desktop for Ipad. Most splashtop products currently on sale. Streams movies with great sound and flash web sites from your desktop to the ipad.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-03-18 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Please don't quote the immediately preceeding post.
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 01:42 PM

Hi everyone. Thanks for the reminder Bobbosan, got this app last year and I kind of forgot about using it... And so after spending the entire night waiting in line at the door of the Apple Flagship store in Montreal, I picked up the 64GB 4G device which I will incidently register to the Fido so-called 4G HSPA+ on a monthly basis until I can figure how to move all my cellular assets to Roger and have real LTE.

As for the device itself, here are my comments based on previous 10-months worth of experience with the 64GB 3G Ipad 2:

- Retina Display is as good as I had expected, text is so crisp that I feel little to no need to zoom on most pages anymore.
- Brightness and contrast haven't changed much in my opnion but screen quality (a very big factor for me) has improved. I'm quite satisfied with the fact that Samsung is the sole LCD supplier this time around. In the Ipad 2 days, getting a good display was a coin toss as Samsung, LG and Sharp were in on the party (I had to get three devices before I settled)
- contrast ratio a tad improved. Luminosity is totally even due to the use of two led units but I had wished that background was whiter like the RIM Playbook
- Speed is not one bit faster than on the ipad 2. They merely tweaked GPU performance to support extra resolution
- Thanks Apple for increasing RAM to 1 GB but that doesn't prevent iphone-centric apps from crashing
- unit is a bit heavier. Not so much for me as it is for my wife in the long run
- On a cold winter night, hold the ipad to keep your hand warmer and develop muscles at the same time!!!
- Construction quality is... not quite so sturdy as before but it'll have to do. Pinching the edges of the LCD will cause bezel to move. Something I did not experience on previous ipad devices
- Sound is still mono (why in hell wouldn't Apple give us two speakers at such a price is beyond me)
- Bottom line. At 850$ I'm still buying so go figure.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMaster View Post
- Sound is still mono (why in hell wouldn't Apple give us two speakers at such a price is beyond me)
..and the aspect ration is still 4x3....
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 03:55 PM

True and that can be quite annoying. Although movies weren't on my list of priorities when I bought the ipad, the first thing I did when I got home was to launch Netflix to watch a few minutes of the movie I was half-way through (THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK) and let me tell you that it's a shame to waste so much screen area over such a nice rendering display.

James consider that this tablet is 9.7" across which is kind of perfect for hand grabbing when you think about it. Now if it were 16x9 to accomodate movie buffs like we all are, then it would either be way too heavy and you couldn't grab it from the endge, or else have a shorter battery life to cut down the weight, or else be like the Playbook and have a substantially smaller screen of 7".

That's where the portable DVD/BlueRay players keep their edge. They'll be good at just that: displaying movies screenwide.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 06:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbosan
You may want to take a look at Splashtop remote Desktop for Ipad. Most splashtop products currently on sale. Streams movies with great sound and flash web sites from your desktop to the ipad.
Thanks. Splashtop is very useful in what it does (I've got it). At some point you may be able to transfer files using it, but until then, I'll use FB. Either one of these apps may dispense with the need for more storage space unless you need it with you at all times.

Last edited by 1080i4me; 2012-03-18 at 12:34 AM.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 07:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I Also, wouldn't any photos taken with the new iPad's higher resolution camera be larger files? Assuming that's the case, I would presume that uploading your photos to iCloud would use more data than before. I don't own an Apple device though, so I could be wrong on how this works.
That's true but iCloud only uploads photos when you are on wifi so that shouldn't really matter
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 07:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
..and the aspect ration is still 4x3....
IMHO this AR works best for everything other than video, at least on a tablet.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-17, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN

Found first Retina-related performance issue. Magazines like National Geographic Interactive in Zinio render pages significantly slower as compared to the original iPad. Contacted Zinio and they said a fix has been submitted.
That's a good site to visit with this display. Def notice the bokeh on photos. Makes me think that photographers might find this display useful in the field.
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelMaster View Post
Sound is still mono (why in hell wouldn't Apple give us two speakers at such a price is beyond me)
- Bottom line. At 850$ I'm still buying so go figure.
Because people still pay $850 for it?
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Probably use same nomenclature as the iPod - iPad, 3rd generation.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 2012-03-21, 12:39 AM
Veteran

^That's how Future Shop does it, so this makes sense to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in