Recommendations on a Mifi type device for travelling? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I should be getting this device on Monday. It looks like AT&T has special SIMs (and now microSIMs) for LTE. If I used a regular non-LTE SIM (actually a microSIM from my iPad) will it still work but just not give me LTE speeds?

Conversely if I managed to get a LTE microSIM would it also work in my iPad?

Do the Canadian carriers like Rogers have special SIMs for LTE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 11:08 AM

The answer to all your questions is yes. However, I'm not sure what AT&T is charging for LTE plans. If you just wanted a basic prepaid data plan, you might have to stick to HSPA anyway.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I am in San Fran now and I have my Sierra 754S aka AT&T Elevate. I popped in an AT&T microSIM from my iPad (which I activated a day earlier) which I taped back onto the SIM cutout since the device takes SIM not microSIM cards.

Other than the fact that one of the SIM socket pins was bent back (I guess I did this trying to get at the SIM card slot as I kind of forced it) the device was a breeze to get up and running. I have three devices connected to it right now - a laptop, iPad and Blackberry. The display says that the device is 4G and looking into the detailed screens the current radio band is WCDMA 1900 and the service type is HSPA_PLUS.

Internet speeds are not great at about 1-1.5Mbps down and about 0.7Mbps up but I have found that I have always had issues with AT&Ts speeds when I go to the US as I generally travel to San Fran and NY and both of those cities are known for being saturated due to high volumes of wireless device usage, especially iPhones.

This device was initially configured for AT&T. When I come back to Canada and pop in either my iPad or BB SIM and create a Rogers profile what is the APN setting?

Is the correct APN setting to use: rogers-core-appl1.apn ?

Hopefully the device is unlocked as advertised.

If I find an AT&T store then I may try to get a LTE SIM. But I may not use it on this trip unless they will let me transfer the $50/5GB plan from the iPad to an LTE SIM. But $50 for 5GB is pretty good compared to what you pay to Rogers for roaming, even with their roaming plans. So far I have spend $210 ($160 for hardware + $50 for a data plan) but hopefully I will save a fair bit on roaming and I already save $26 is not paying for 2 days hotel internet at $12.95/day.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have posted on using this device in Canada on Rogers in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=1388186

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in