Tablet capabilities question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Tablet capabilities question

Hey gang, forgive the cro mag style wording, but not sure proper wording to search properly.

I have narrowed down most of my requirements, which are simple - HDMI output and USB ports.

Still trying to drill down a comic book reader app and match it to a tablet that can accommodate, but HDMI out and USB take precedence.

Now, here's my question - is there a tablet that can use share drawing with a stylus type pen ? Meaning, if I am trying to provide examples of something is there a tablet that will have something of a "shared screen" where I can use a stylus type pen to draw what I am talking about, where it almost acts as something of a telestrator ? My gut tells me that type of thing might be more on the software side, but I would assume if that is the case, tablet capabilities would still be a factor.

Again, apologies for the poor wording; don't know proper terminology so I am hoping you kind folks understand what I am trying to ask ?

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-28 at 10:18 AM. Reason: minor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 10:21 AM

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a tablet that will simultaneously project your stylus-driven screen drawings to a larger screen hooked up to the HDMI out port? The Playbook is designed to output a video file through the HDMI out port; not sure you can dynamically transfer an image 'you are working on' at the same time. However, the Playbook multitasks, so you can send a movie out the HDMI port and surf the web without interrupting the movie.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 10:32 AM

The Toshiba Thrive tablet has USB and HDMI port. The HDMI is a mirror of the tablet display so your drawing/editing will also appear on external display.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 12:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
is there a tablet that can use share drawing with a stylus type pen ?
Most will, though some work better than others. Styluses should be available from most places that sell tablets. Make sure you get the correct stylus for the screen type (capacitive or resistive.)

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys

My cro mag knowledge.....

Let me clarify (attempt to lol)

The USB ports and the HDMI out are requirements for reasons othert than the drawing thing. What I am looking for has to have those. Basically, if it can draw, but has no HDMI and USB, then I cannot move forward - HDMI and USB are musts, whereas the drawing part is a luxury.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a dynamic transfer; can be after the fact.

Right now, the only method I have to "draw" is using a mouse and a cursor using like paint or word. Needless to say, it's extremely crappy at best.

So an example would be like taking a web page or a document or a jpeg image or anything at all. Using some sort of pen device and add like circles, arrows, comments etc.

Like if I had an image of a software interface or something, use some sort of pen to maybe circle or point to something and say "if we had button here, here and here.."

I am an account executive and I telecommute, and I just had a notion that if I could share handwritten notes on a picture or something, that would be great.

Perhaps the easiest way to explain it is as such

imagine you print something, mark on it with a marker, adding notes, comments, symbols etc, then scan it and submit the scanned image with your markings. That idea, but no need for those paper wasting steps - just use some type of digital pen to mark directly on the files and send the saved version with the markings.

Make more sense or am I still botching it ?

lol

sorry guys
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 04:36 PM

the drawing thing would be a super simple thing to accomplish with an Ipad2 and an appleTV2 but obviously no USB or HDMI

again tho, the HDMI is kinda irrelevant with the AppleTV and air play/mirroring

USB would be the show stopper there

the only other thing I can really think of would be the Samsung Galaxy NOTE. I don't have the specifics off the top of my head, but it might do everything you're looking for

it's only a 5" tablet tho
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a USB & HDMI add-on or an Asus Transformer should suit you fine.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 04:05 PM

Acer Iconia also has USB and I believe an HDMI out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 10:37 PM

As others have mentioned, there are several Android based tablets that have integrated HDMI & USB ports.

While the iPad doesn't have the ports integrated, Apple does sell an HDMI adapter for it. The USB port may be an issue depending on what you need it for. Their camera connection kit does include a USB adapter, which will allow you to do more than just connect a camera, but of course Apple doesn't list exactly what functions it allows.

Personally, I'd go with an Android tablet.

Samsung FP-T5084; Yamaha RXV1400; Sony BDP-S570 & SS-X speakers; SA 4250HD; JVC SVCR (STILL ticking), Panny TH42PZ800.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 04:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
Here's a link to the Lenovo tablet; it's not nearly as sexy as other tablets but does come with HDMI-out ... I've used the stylus on my work Thinkpad tablet & it works great.

edit: i just checked & apparently this is a different stylus than my work tablet ... FWIW ...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/09...tablet-stylus/

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 12:56 AM

I know there are actually some decent tablets from coby that support USB and have HDMI output.

I had a mid7024 that I had been using with a usb mouse and hdmi output. It was a resistive touchscreen though but the newer models have capacitive screens and are under the $200 price point.

The only drawback is that coby does not offer any upgrading support. So if you wanted to upgrade your android os you would be forced to look at rooting and finding a custom rom.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 11:03 AM
Veteran

Decent Coby tablets......... Hahaha
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 07:52 PM
Rookie

I had a coby 7" tabet run on Android 2.0 about 12 months ago. I had to return it to the retailer for refund because of quality and hung up for no reason. Be watch out for the Coby product guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in