The Future of BlackBerry - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 08:36 AM
Veteran

My worry now is that this BB10 delay may force a refresh/revisit of the hardware... which may introduce it's own delay. A 9-month delay with hardware already baked may result in hardware that's already behind the times when it's released.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 09:27 AM
Veteran

^^^ not much point in worrying about BB10. It won't likely see the light of day.

Whoever buys the cadaver will determine the go-forward plan. Many, including myself, see MSFT taking over the business and migrating the BES business over to the WP8 platform.

ironically, this is all coming the day after Nokias CEO gave an interview saying he wish he had chose a different path.
post #78 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 02:24 PM

Hopefully BB10 will be released in time for the all-important shopping holiday known as Groundhog's Day.

post #79 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
They may be laying off another 5000 but those remaining will probably being trying to head for the exits as well.
Those leaving voluntarily will likely be the top engineers and other staff who are needed to bring the BB10 to market. They are often the first to leave when a company is in serious trouble. What makes it worse is that they usually get hired by the competition.

I saw BB getting hit on two main fronts, even before the recent problems. First, the delay of new hardware created a ground roots adoption of newer, more popular devices. That's often resisted by IT people and managers but they usually give in as pressure from employees builds. The second hit was the extended network outages. That totally ruined BB's credibility in the business market. At that point, even IT and management would be looking for new options.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #80 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 04:30 PM
Veteran

A client of ours is now migrating away from everything RIM starting this week. That just a little under 36,000 employees. No more Blackberries are being handed out. They're switching to iPhones.
post #81 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 08:08 PM

Sorry, but I'd hate it if my employer forced an iPhone on me.

I still have hopes for RIM. It's going to take a lot of work, but I don't see the ship sinking.
post #82 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 09:59 PM
Veteran

I got switched to an iPhone two weeks ago. I can finally view file attachments that my BB could not. Ever tried to view XML or XSLT files on a Blackberry? That alone is worth the change for my field of work.
post #83 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-01, 11:53 PM
Veteran

I have a company BB but I only use it as a wireless hotspot for my iPhone or iPad. Personally, I consider it an embarassing relic that stays hidden in my pocket.
post #84 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 12:35 AM

I quite like my BB Torch. Having a proper keyboard really helps with typing (none of that silly screen-wasting on-screen stuff)

Perfect for sharing my data plan with my PlayBook too (which I find much easier to hold than an iPad for any extended period of time)

My only complaint is I can't find any good fart apps.

If RIM went under, I have a good Sanyo clamshell phone I'll re-activate. No way in hell I'd use an iDroid.
post #85 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-02, 06:13 PM
Veteran

I too would be royally pissed if my work switched us all over to iPhones. Don't think that will ever happen, but you never know. If BB10 ever sees the light of day, it will be interesting to see how many companies get on board with it.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
post #86 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 06:09 AM

I don't see RIM going anywhere. They'll be smaller than their heyday, but the still offer unique products: Secure messaging communications, enterprise control of corporate devices (through BES servers), etc.

Motorola and Nokia went through similar mis-steps; yet they're still around. Smaller than before yes, but still exist.

It was only a matter of time before competing (stable) smartphone products came to market. Prior to Apple and Android-based devices, RIM had offerings from MS, Nokia (Symbian) and Palm to contend with--hardly competition.

RIM's made mistakes: Not updating their OS sooner, failing to keep up with new tech in their devices, and misjudging the popularity of tablet devices. Though you can hardly fault RIM: Who knew that Apple could take technology that's been around for at least a decade, repackage it with updated features/tech, and sell the ipad tablet like hotcakes?!

Though it could be argued that Apple--accurately--saw the interest and popularity in e-readers like the Kindle, and wanted to capitalize on that success...knowing that it wouldn't be difficult to generate sufficient content to please owners of their own tablet creation.

Either way, I don't see RIM's mistakes as terminal.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #87 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 09:22 AM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
I have a company BB but I only use it as a wireless hotspot for my iPhone or iPad. Personally, I consider it an embarassing relic that stays hidden in my pocket.
Perhaps you can get your IT department to disable the tethering on your BB so you don't have to use it or have them issue you a Playbook so you don't have to take your personal devices with you.
post #88 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
All eyes will be on the BB10 release for sure... that's got a "make or break" feeling to it now. It may not be an actual make or break release, but it certainly feels like it from a consumer point of view.

post #89 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
RIM's mistakes were absolutely terminal. It is now a zombie company rapidly losing employees either from layoffs or people leaving of theri own accord. I really think that the company will not exist within its current form by Canada Day of 2013.

There is no way that they can survive with a 1-2% market share as the cost per device is going to be quite large. There may be a very small specialized segment willing to pay a premium for a device with a higher security level but that is a tiny niche. And any app develpoers that are still working on RIM apps will go away - they might be saved if Android apps will run properly on BB 10 but that isn't clear as of today. Especially since there is a real trend towards BYOD - Bring Your Own Device.

Personally I still prefer a BB to an iPhone and I really like the current combination of a Blackberry plus an iPad. The BB works very well for email and other textual stuff but it totally sucks for web browsing.

I really fail to see why it is taking so long to get QNX/BBX/BB10 onto a smartphone. They have to have been working on this for over two years (RIM bought QNX in April 2010) -if you can't do this in two years then you may as well shut down.
post #90 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 12:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I really fail to see why it is taking so long to get QNX/BBX/BB10 onto a smartphone. They have to have been working on this for over two years (RIM bought QNX in April 2010) -if you can't do this in two years then you may as well shut down.
Doing a ground-up rewrite of software is never fast and is something you should never do.

To make matters worse, if/when BB10 does ship it's going to be like a 1.0 release. That is to say it will probably be very buggy, and the APIs will be immature compared to the platforms that have been around for at least a couple years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in