The Future of BlackBerry - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-01, 01:10 PM
Veteran

RIM devices are still the best for email and I like the combination of a BB as an email/phone device and an iPad for everything else.

Are they still even actively working on the Playbook? It is now over a year old and is getting a bit long in the tooth - sure they have released a much better OS, but will there ever be a Playbook 2? Or should they just concede the tablet space to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-01, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

They are working on a 4G PlayBook. Rumors are saying it will be clocked higher. If you look at the Help videos on the Playbook one of them actually talks about inserting SIM cards.
post #48 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-01, 03:06 PM
Veteran

I wonder what they need in sales to break even on the device. Assuming that it is the same size then they couldn't sell it for much more than $200-$300, especially if Apple releases an iPad mini that has a 7" screen.

post #49 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-01, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Are they still even actively working on the Playbook? It is now over a year old and is getting a bit long in the tooth - sure they have released a much better OS, but will there ever be a Playbook 2? Or should they just concede the tablet space to others.
It's probably just me but I have a hard time wondering how you can really improve today's tech gadgets beyond maybe better screens, although most are more than good enough for my eyes. Or improved battery life. Whats a tablet like the playbook or ipads next great leap forward at this point for the typical user?
post #50 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-04, 11:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
RIM devices are still the best for email
And that doesn't say much. That said, there are plenty of file attachments I can't open on my BB Curve, but I can on my iPhone.

RIM's shares dipped below $10 today. First time since 2003. I don't think their new OS is going to get them out of this one.
post #51 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 07:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
And that doesn't say much.
That's where it comes down to what your priorities are in a phone. For me, it's email, text messaging, calendar, contact management and BBM/BBM Groups. Communications is my top "must have" for a phone and the others don't come close in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
RIM's shares dipped below $10 today. First time since 2003. I don't think their new OS is going to get them out of this one.
There was no secret this was going to be a rough ride. Only time will tell if they can turn it around.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
post #52 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbs View Post
That's where it comes down to what your priorities are in a phone.
If only the market would agree with you...

So the market is wrong, RIM is right? Who knew...
post #53 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 08:47 AM
Veteran

The market works in strange and mysterious ways...

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
post #54 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Maybe if RIM ignores the market and doesn't a change a thing... Maybe it'll work.
post #55 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Not likely, although I'm sure that was not a serious comment. They are going to have to change and adapt if they want to survive, that's for sure. Hopefully they can keep their "bread and butter" strengths at the same time. The fact that the first BB10 device is an "all touch" device is a sign they are listening to the market. Is it too late? No one knows for sure.

post #56 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 09:11 AM
Veteran

IMO, RIM is too late to compete in the Smartphone category. I am not saying that RIM will die out. Maybe they will find a way to stay in business with software.
post #57 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 12:07 PM
Veteran

I think they have destroyed their prospects as a smartphone, but might find a future as a low-end communicator. RIM as a company must hang, as they have lost the confidence and moral authority to lead, but Blackberry as a product is profitable and could thrivd in a new sub-smart category.

Last edited by Jase88; 2012-06-05 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removed mod complaint
post #58 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 12:27 PM
Veteran

I kind of think my current configuration works well - I have a BB Bold 9900 and an iPad (both the BB and iPad connect into corporate email, calendaring, contacts). The BB is very good for regular email, phone, calendar, contacts, texting, viewing twitter feeds, and Weather app.

The iPad is great if you want to browse the net, read email attachments, books or other docs. I don't think an iPhone+iPad would work as well in this area although the iPhone and iPad do integrate together much better. But with RIM OS 7.1 I can use my BB as a 3G (actually HSPA+ whatever G that is - 3.5?) Wifi hotspot which means I likely don't need 3G/LTE on the iPad as much.

So IMHO RIM may have a future if it concentrates on what it does well.
post #59 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Many companies go through bad times (look at Sony - their stock is the lowest since 1984). Yeah, it's higher than RIM, but still pretty bad overall (especially given how large Sony is compared to RIM). Apple, before 1997, was also doing quite poorly and look what they did. I'm not saying RIM will be as successful as Apple; I'm merely stating that it's possible for them to rebound. Things do look grim for them now, but it looks like they're trying to do what they can to improve things.

I'm not hoping RIM can pull through just because they are a Canadian company. I'm hoping they can improve so that we have more competition in the smartphone market than Apple & Google (and to a lesser extent, Microsoft).
post #60 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Many companies go through bad times (look at Sony - their stock is the lowest since 1984). ... Apple, before 1997, was also doing quite poorly and look what they did.
That was before the era of patent wars and the rush to build a nuclear arsenal of them. There are plenty of vultures today that would love to pick at the RIM carcass and precipitating an acquisition isn't a crazy idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in