The Future of BlackBerry - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-17, 05:48 PM
Rookie

well rim has alot of issues with smoke and mirrors. They lie to their customers. not one of the best things to do in business.Does anybody think the will be on time with pb 2.0 update (that works like they said it would back in april-may)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 01:41 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^
What lies are you referring to?!

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #18 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 09:19 AM

Back to my 9900...

Yep - been sporting a Samsung Infuse for the last few weeks.

Want apps - Android / IOS - lots of apps.

How many do I use in a normal day...couple (Weather, Stocks, Twitter)

Battery life on Andriod is BAD - If you never use the phone - never turn on the screen - you MIGHT get a full day out of it....use it normally - charging again by 3 PM.

IOS (Iphone 4S) - Battey is better then Andriod (except those effected by the IOS 5 Battery issue) - Mine use to last the full day.

Again lots of apps....

I'm back on Blackberry because:

Battery life - full day with usage.
Keyboard - To many typo's on Virtual.
Corporate Mail - For Android - you need to purchase third party apps ($20 - Touchdown) to get any type of BB experience. Even then limited in features compared to BB)
IOS Corparate email - no third party apps that I am aware of...same limited function corporate use - maybe a bit better then Android.

These of course are just my opinions....based on MY usage.

I do own Rim, Apple and Motorola (now Google) stock.

Cheers

post #19 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 11:32 AM
Veteran

I pretty much agree with Rob's ^ points.

For battery, keyboard, and corporate mail/calendar blackberry is great. But I'd almost call it a "corporate email device" vs. a "smart phone".

Let's remember that's how BB started: remember we had them for a number of years before the phone feature was incorporated. And back then they really were portable "corporate email devices". And I think that's what they still are with the bonus of a built-in phone.

So I think it will come down to whether people want a corporate email device or a smartphone. And in my experience, I'm seeing businesses in downtown calgary switch one after the other to iPhones for their staff.
post #20 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Perhaps that they would have the native email capabilities on the PB by Summer 2011? Or was the initial promise even sooner than that?

Our IT department was pushing us to use Playbooks so I bought three for my cost centre. Only one is still being used. With QNX (aka BBX aka BB10 aka WTF they are calling it next week) not available until late 2012 there is not much future at RIM. They should have sold the company to MSFT or HTC or someone for $50/share six months ago.
post #21 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
anything they said we would have by summers end pim/email/android then the bit about 2.0 last fall.. now put off until feb 2012 (don't hold your breath)..How about the ceo stating that the native email was in the pipe for 60 days .. then stating he said no such thing..pb is a disaster... buggy few features.. and an appworld that is loaded with ebooks from digi apps..and a buggy browser that crashes way too often..

BTW have had a pb since day one..
post #22 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
IOS Corparate email - no third party apps that I am aware of...same limited function corporate use - maybe a bit better then Android.
Why a third party app? It connects to our Exchange server natively. Heck, I'm using my iPod Touch instead of my BB Curve 9300 for corporate emails. I find it much better at it than my BB.
post #23 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 09:05 PM

I live in Kitchener-Waterloo, and have seen many "for sale" signs on RIM buildings in the last few weeks.
post #24 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
Why a third party app? It connects to our Exchange server natively. Heck, I'm using my iPod Touch instead of my BB Curve 9300 for corporate emails. I find it much better at it than my BB.
Can you do an out of office update?

Can you search the remote mail server for email?

If you have email filters I.E. Email from XXX goes into XXX folder. Can you see them within the In Box WITHOUT having to go to the folders one to one to check for new emails?

No red LED indicating new e-mail.

Once again - may not be required for your needs.

Cheers
post #25 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_Calgary View Post
I pretty much agree with Rob's ^ points.

For battery, keyboard, and corporate mail/calendar blackberry is great. But I'd almost call it a "corporate email device" vs. a "smart phone".

Let's remember that's how BB started: remember we had them for a number of years before the phone feature was incorporated. And back then they really were portable "corporate email devices". And I think that's what they still are with the bonus of a built-in phone.

So I think it will come down to whether people want a corporate email device or a smartphone. And in my experience, I'm seeing businesses in downtown calgary switch one after the other to iPhones for their staff.
I guess - but really what's the definition of a "Smart Phone" ??

What can Android and IOS do any different then Blackberry?

The term "Smart Phone" I think will just be replaced with "Phone" since that's whats really selling these days.

Do we still refer to TV's as Flat Panel TV's? Or do we now just say - HD TV or just TV....

Cheers
post #26 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 07:37 AM
Member #1

Can we please discuss the topic at hand which is the financial viability of RIM.

post #27 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 10:39 AM

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)
RIM shares are down yet again this AM, so much for a Christmas rally. I don't have any shares of this company, and have bad memories of being "burned" by Nortel, all those years ago.

Who knows, it might actually be a good time to buy RIM, since the shares have really been beaten down in the last year, but I am not up to taking that chance.
post #28 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Does RIM need to ditch Blackberry?

Interesting article in the Montreal Gazette this morning.

Frankly, I'm not quite sure what is left of RIM without Blackberry other than patents, but that's because of my own ignorance. Seems more obvious to imagine Apple without the iPhone.
post #29 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 11:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
I guess - but really what's the definition of a "Smart Phone" ??

What can Android and IOS do any different then Blackberry?...
In my opinion, it's the ability to view web pages, use maps, GPS, and 3rd party applications - most of which is a nightmare on the BB. It's a lot more than just the phone and email.

RIM had the advantage of corporate enterprise integration and security at a time when the others didn't. But they've caught up in that regard while RIM has failed time and time again to catch up with the internet, multi-media, and touchscreen capabilities of the iPhone and Android.

Plus not only are business customers moving away from BB for employee satisfaction (as employees like the idea of something different) but it's to eliminate the risky and costly BES.

Add that together and the future of RIM is bleak, IMO. What's left: name brand recognition (or personal preference), a physical keyboard, and better battery life. The others may never attempt the physical keyboard but that's not going to matter, it won't be enough.

I was recently in another meeting where the attendees were complaining about how much they liked their BBs but they've all now been replaced with iPhones. Again it was a corporate decision (not the individual's) to eliminate BES.

On the consumer side, recall just a few years ago when the Best Bey or Cell Phone flyers would be half Blackberry's in the advertisements. Now you're lucky to find one.

And BYOD programs are becoming more and more popular and considered secure enough and reliable and on a couple recent BYOD inventories I saw, I think there was maybe 1 or 2 consumer Blackberry's out of a couple of hundred phones total.

So I don't see how they can ever rebound. They're stranglehold is still the enterprise and that's dwindling down every day. I don't see the stock ever rebounding (a high multiplier and low debt will only last so long considering the high opex or burn rate), I think we have the next Nortel on our hands. But what do I know.
post #30 of 1156 (permalink) Old 2012-01-17, 02:13 PM

There have been numererous rumours of a buyout of late, but the Samsung licensing deal story for the BlackBerry 10 (so not an outright takeover) seems to have a lot of teeth to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in