Where to get Galaxy Nexus without multi-year contract on release day - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 12:35 AM

After lots of research I have decided I would love to have a Galaxy Nexus, however, the price is a bit much for me. Whatever phone I end up getting I want to get with Koodo as they have the best/cheapest plan.

I'm assuming that once other providers start picking it up, the majority of them will have it since it's apparently so amazing. I'm assuming therefore that this would mean Telus will pick it up? Am I right? If that is the case, what are the chances that Koodo would get it allowing me to just wait and buy it from them with a plan, saving me huge $$$?

I'm looking to buy between Jan and April, so no huge rush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 09:07 AM

Telus will have it for sure, but I don't know about Koodo. It might be a little steep for them, but they do carry the iPhone. We'll probably find out in late January.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Are there different "models" of this phone? By models I mean something that will work on Bell or Rogers or both? I ask because my current Bell phone doesn't have a SIM but my past Rogers phones did.

The no multi-year contract phone purchase would make sense for me if it worked on all providers (including Europe).

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 09:36 AM
Veteran

When Belus (Bell + Telus joint tower venture) went 3G, all of their phones use SIM technology. Because of this, you can only use 3G, cannot fall back to the old CDMA network without needing another device. If you are a current bell subscriber, they should be able to set your current account up with a SIM without issue.

The GN is pentaband for 3G and unlocked - it will work with any 3G (or Faux-G) carrier in North America out of the box. The only carrier (AFAIK) that it will not work with are CDMA carriers, like Public mobile.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 01:07 PM

I was at FS and they had the GN for $599 month-to-month. Not the $649 everyone is saying here. Strange.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 01:14 PM

Was it Futureshop in Gatineau, by any chance?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 01:59 PM

It was Gloucester. They guy said they weren't allowed to sell it out-right just yet.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 07:02 PM

Direct Canada has them on their web page avail. Pricey at $780 but avail - 5 remaining when I noticed it. Not sure this is a great deal but if a guy can't wait I suppose this is an option.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-13, 07:39 PM
Rookie

I just singed up to weigh in on this.

I am a bell customer and have been trying to get a hold of galaxy nexus since the release date. I am not eligible for an upgrade till April so I asked to buy it full price, to which they said "we are currently not selling off contract". In other words as a bell customer it is impossible to get this phone.

I just called bell today and told them what was happening. They said that if they have stock they must sell the phone full price no term if requested weather you are a bell customer or not. They suggested I speak to the manager at the store and if he is not available or also refusing to sell the device to call bell while there.

I'm just about to head out to a store that got a fresh new shipment, I'll report back on what happens.
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 01:01 AM
Rookie

They were a bit hesitant to sell it but I just told them I called bell and that they said i should just be able to buy it...

God I love this phone!
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 01:19 AM
Veteran

I know a Best Buy Mobile store here in Calgary isn't selling them off-contract (specifically asked about it and was informed they aren't allowed to do so yet)

I originally planned to get it on contract, so I do have the phone too.
post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 04:15 PM

Finally got one unlocked from the Bell store - very nice.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Was it unlocked or did they have to unlock it for you?? I know it has been said that the unit would be sold unlocked but... I have trust issues with Bell.
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 11:23 AM

It was unlocked out of the box. I tested it with a Rogers SIM. I got it at the Rideau Center Bell store.

I'm not sure if it's standard policy, but the Bell salesman said when buying it outright. I still had to go on a month to month contract. However, the contract has the first month free and can be cancelled with 30 days notice. I cancelled as soon as I got home, so all I had to pay, in addition to the phone, was a 35$ activation fee.

Sony 60EX645 | Sonos S5 | PS3 | Wii | Apple TV2 | Xbox 360 | 52W3000 | Yamaha RX-V620 | Mirage Omnisat 6
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 12:37 PM
Digital Sage

$650 outright from Rogers and Fido on Tuesday, January 10th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in