Where to get Galaxy Nexus without multi-year contract on release day - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 08:44 PM

The laws of supply and demand are working here. If you really want it on launch day, be prepared to spend the extra $$$.

If you don't want to pay, then you'll just have to wait.

Android rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 08:50 PM

I'm definitely waiting until it's available from WIND. Hopefully I can get it on a Tab. My Nexus One will do just fine until then.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

It won't make much difference waiting for WIND to launch it as I wouldn't be able to get it on TAB WITH my Irresistible35 Plan.

Yes WIND could sell it cheaper (probably $599 best case scenario). I don't mind paying the extra $50 now than to wait 3-4 months for WIND to carry it.

I just don't want to have to pay for any plan nor any activation fee on top of the $650 price. I'll drive to my local mall here in Gatineau and visit the Bell/Virgin/The Source/Best Buy/Future Shop stores (tomorrow) to see if any of them will give it to me for the straight $650 no contract price. If no one is willing, then I'll wait til the New Year when other carriers release it.

djino
"Probably looking at getting it outright from Videotron when they release it in January"

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well who did you get your "confirmation" that it will be locked from Netmaster?
From 2 Bell reprensentative over the phone
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 02:54 PM

Bell reps are trained to always say their devices are locked, even when they're not, probably in the hopes that people won't buy them to use them on other carriers.
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 03:55 PM

The best potential solution I've heard for getting it without any fees or contracts from Bell is to order it online from The Source and have it delivered for in-store pickup to a convenient location. Not sure if it works though as I've never tried it personally.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 12:42 PM
Veteran

There are reports that some people have been successful get the Nexus Prime off-contract at Costco.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 02:24 PM

went to Costco today... rep was unable to get a code to sell off contract. She said maybe two weeks. Then I went to Best Buy- absolutely no go there. He said two months before off contrcat sales.

This is BS in my opinion. Why shouldnt I be able to buy a phone off contract if Im willing to pay the price! ?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This is BS in my opinion. Why shouldnt I be able to buy a phone off contract if Im willing to pay the price! ?
Because the providers have negotiated with Google/Samsung to have exclusivity, that's why.

Why is this concept so hard for people to understand?

Android rocks!
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 03:47 PM

Sorry to disagree, but if they want exclusivity- sell a locked phone!

To sell an unlocked phone, locked to a carrier is controlling supply and demand.

If I walk in and pay 649. for the phone and 60 for the first month, activation (grrr) and then cancel- what is the difference? 60$ That's a drop in the ocean! If Google and Samsung get my 650$ for an unlocked phone, why should they care which network I use?

This is Bell simply trying to get new subscribers into 3 year contracts-- dont get me started on those rates!!!

Sorry I will calm down.... later.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 04:21 PM

But Google has said that the phone CANNOT be sold locked. So this is the compromise that Bell has chosen to go with.

They are counting on enough early adopters also getting contracts. Good business tactics if you are Bell.

Android rocks!
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 07:14 PM
Veteran

They probably want to make sure that there are enough handsets to go to their customers. You might be able to buy one at full price if you already are in a contract, but there isn't much point to Bell selling the phone if they aren't going to be profiting from it in the end.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 08:40 PM

I have the new Galaxy Nexus in my hand and currently using it on Rogers.
Phone is unlocked, bought it at The Source for 649$+tx.
They asked for a phone number, name and postal code and thats it.

The guy was actually wondering if he was allowed to sell it without a contract but was very cool and said: "I'm not sure but ignorance is blessed!"

There, mystery solved!
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 10:46 PM
Veteran

I now have a Galaxy Nexus.

First, I went to the Bell store in Commerce Place (downtown Edmonton), and they were sold out. They suggested I go to the "corporate" Bell store, and the one in West Edmonton Mall was most convenient to me.

On my way to WEM, I saw another small Bell dealer, so I stopped to try and buy one from them, again, they were sold out.

Got to the corporate Bell store in WEM and the sales dude asked if I'd like a Galaxy Nexus, and I said yes, I would like to buy one. He said they have stock. I said that I'm currently in a contract with Bell and don't wish to extend it so I'd like to buy out the phone. He said that if I was going to buy out the phone then they weren't going to sell me one. I started grilling the sales guy, asking him if Bell wasn't willing to sell the phone for $659 then why did they put out a press release with that price in it for a "no term" price?

I think I intimidated the sales dude because he quickly developed a speech impediment and went to go get his manager when I pressed him to honor their advertised prices to someone who is a current subscriber of theirs.

Said that they would take down my number and give me the opportunity to buy the phone a week from now. Opportunity? I laughed at them and left.

On my way out I thought that perhaps I should have instead said "okay, in that case I would like to cancel my Bell contract" which I have 10 months left in. Typically that means the company goes into customer retention mode; and I may get to speak to people with more power who might decide it would be worth it to sell me the phone (that they have in stock) at the advertised price. The risk of course is that they'd just tally up the cancellation fee x 10 months and say "thanks for the profit", but I dunno, I imagine they'd rather have the $90/month they normally get from me.

Anyway, then I stopped at Best Buy on my way home and I asked to buy a Galaxy Nexus. The sales guy said that they are only allowed to sell the phone on a contract renewal. The sales guy added that he wasn't able to get one himself for the same reasons.

Right before I got home, I stopped at the Bell store in Spruce Grove and ask to buy a Galaxy Nexus. The guy said "sure", and 15 minutes later I had one, paid $659 + GST, and was setting up my Google Account on it.

So, the experience you get totally depends on which store you go to. Bell really does seem to be telling everyone to only sell the phone with a new contract though.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 07:39 PM

NO joy at the source... in fact the sales manager got quite disagreeable when I said the phone was unlocked!

Oh well- I shall wait till its on Rogers...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in