Optimus LTE - best phone to buy this year? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2011-11-26, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Optimus LTE - best phone to buy this year?

After many weeks of watching and waiting, I jumped on the LG Optimus LTE on Bell the day it came out. When I saw it, and read a review of it on Mobilesyrup, I thought that it was probably the best option in the near future. Having said that, I'm hedging my bets a little - I am still running my trusty iPhone 3G on Rogers as my phone, and have 14 days to play with the LG as long as I don't go over 30 minutes of talk time. I may return it if I'm not still happy with it after this time.

So, with that being said, why would I prefer any other phone on the market now, or especially the Galaxy Nexus? It seems to me that the only thing going for the Nexus is ICS. I'm expecting it to be a while before the LG gets the update, but it _will_ get the update eventually. And in fact it's likely that there will be a release of Cyanogenmod ICS in the reasonably near future that will support the LG.

Once the LG has ICS, it seems like it will win hands down as the better phone. It has a nicer screen (on paper), LTE support, an SD slot, better camera, HDMI, louder speaker (important to me), although no NFC (shame). I'm happy with the way it looks and feels - good form factor and doesn't need a case.

Anyone have any thoughts on the LG (positive or negative) that would help me decide whether to keep this phone or not? I haven't held the Nexus in my hands yet, but it does seem that without ICS it's a pretty average offering. Ideally I would wait and try out the SGSII LTE HD, but there hasn't even been word on a release date for that one.

/meghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2011-11-26, 02:59 PM

The lack of a microSD slot isn't as big a detraction for the Galaxy Nexus as people seem to think. The Galaxy Nexus has all of its internal storage available for apps and app data (like an iPhone). Anyone who has used a phone with more limited app space will tell you how valuable that can be.

Are you sure the device will be supported by CyanogenMod? It's not listed on their devices page, and they don't have a forum for it on their website.

I would never recommend making a decision on a device based on software that's coming. You might be waiting a long time for an ICS update, and it might be buggy or worse, cancelled if device sales don't make it worthwhile. By the time you get it there might be a newer version of Android imminent. Make sure you're happy with what it has now, to avoid disappointment later.

In the end, if you're happy using it, that's all that matters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in