Asus Unveils First Quad-Core Tablet, Eee Pad Transformer Prime - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-07-25, 11:08 PM

Not sure if this is an upgrade... Adobe will not support flash on 4.1

Smart shoppers always read the fine print.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 12:41 AM

If you had it previously installed, it will continue to work. I've been running 4.1 on my phone a while now, and it's a huge upgrade in terms of performance.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #63 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 05:24 PM

How about the default browser that comes with ICS or JB, is it still slow to load or is it faster?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #64 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 11:45 AM

I haven't used the default browser since Chrome for Android was released. In fact, on devices that launch with Jelly Bean (ones that never had ICS) Chrome for Android is the default browser.

I don't know if Chrome is faster, but like everything else with Jelly Bean, it seems smoother and more fluid.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #65 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-07-28, 04:58 PM

Can't wait for the upgrade if it makes everything run smoother.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #66 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-09-28, 07:06 PM

My Transformer just got Jelly Bean. It seems to be a bit faster but I'm not sure of the default browser. When I select one of the thread on here to open in a new tab, it opens it but it looks as if the page is washed out or ran out of ink.

I'm still looking around so I don't know what else is new. I do know my keyboard dock got a firmware update...

post #67 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 11:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Sony KDL55EX720, ParadigmSoundbar, intelNUC+kodi, GS6
interesting, thanks for letting us know. I got an infinity last month, will look out for an update.
post #68 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 06:13 PM

As I read your post, from your name until the word interesting, it is like a lazer printer running out of ink, it is washed out . The rest is alright.

The default browser seems to be going less on the wait side, if you know what I mean.

Before I did the JB update, I had updated Chrome in the previous week and then, it just crashed everytime I wanted to use it. I did the JB update and it still refuses to open. I hope they have a newer Chrome updatein the works.

post #69 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 06:45 PM

Forget the default browser, forget Chrome, forget Opera... all you need is Dolphin. I've tried them all and stick with Dolphin... best of all, the one niggling quibble I had with Dolphin is now gone with Jelly Bean!

Yes, I'm a broken record: repeating the same suggestion again and again...
post #70 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 07:01 PM

Is the transformer prime better or worse than other android tablets?

post #71 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 09:38 PM

I honestly don't notice any difference on my transformer prime

well, the only difference I've noticed is that the swipe to unlock animation is a little spiffier, but other than that, nothing that I really notice

is the TFP better/worse than other tabs? depends on if you like ford/chev/dodge for the most part

hardware wise, they're top notch right now. some of the earlier manufactured units had wifi and/or GPS issues

mine has been great. it does the 4 or 5 things that I bought it for, exactly as I hoped

(comic reader, book reader, web surfing, video/plex watching and some light gaming)
post #72 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 09:50 PM

The reason I asked was because my Transformer Prime has been my only Android tablet and now with 4.1 (cold boot, install update, cold boot, and then factory reset) it seems to run as good as my 2 year old iPad.

Asus really did a poor job. After 10 months of ownership and multiple updates the browser does not hang anymore. I wonder if it is because of flash not being installed?

post #73 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-01, 09:51 PM
Veteran

I might get myself the next version. I've had a 1st Gen. iPad, but I didn't like how restrictive it was, and every iOS update seemed to make it more unstable. So I sold it.

Based on the many comments I've read, Android updates seem to make things better, not worse. And I already have various Asus products that work perfectly for the most part (one Netbook has a broken SD slot).

The only thing I might have preferred is a dual-core model, with each core twice as powerful as the individual cores in the current quad-core design. If you only do one thing at a time, and any secondary process running in the background is light on the CPU cycles, I feel you can accomplish a whole lot more if the core that was available to you was more powerful. I've always felt that quad-core processors on handheld devices were more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Anyway. My opinion.
post #74 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-02, 07:39 PM

As an owner of the first EEE PC, I think this transformer is just as good. I have 14 computer or items that have computer cores and they are all ASUS motherboards. Before the EEEPC, I had a pocket pc the A731 by ASUS.

The only thing negative about ASUS is this: They tend to forget the older stuff pretty quick. If you have something in your hands that is fairly recent, you might have 1 year max before it is deemed discontinued.

Like Francois said, my opinion.

Having said that, I really like my Android tablet.

post #75 of 96 (permalink) Old 2012-10-02, 09:18 PM
Veteran

That's the main reason why I haven't bought the Transformer yet. Asus keeps pumping out new products all the time, making it very difficult to find the right moment to buy the product that you want. Do I really want to buy that Transformer now? What if the next model is only a month away from being released?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in