BlackBerry Playbook OS 2.0 (now available) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand why RIM decided to use Exchange ActiveSync for emails instead of their own BES email.
One would assume that RIM wants to support Exchange installations that don't also have Blackberry Enterprise Server installed. ActiveSync is the vendor-supported solution for interfacing with Exchange (i.e. Microsoft supported, since Microsoft makes Exchange).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
It's really annoying, seeing articles criticise RIM and the Playbook 2.0 update. Those writers seem to be only concerned with brand new purchases.
To be fair this upgrade was supposed to have been available 6 months ago.

Any news on if/when RIM will be releasing new hardware - as in the Playbook 2 not just a 2.0 version of the OS?
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 02:32 PM

Update done. I like it a lot better than I thought I would. I do love how email works on it now. Haven't had much time to play, but I'll continue on when I have time.

6 months ago, I didn't have a PlayBook, so the timing for me, is just right.

I feel the iFan boys will find something they don't like about it.

post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
I feel the iFan boys will find something they don't like about it.
I tried the Playbook last May-June when it first came out but after two months I gave up in frustration. We will see how well the PB with the new OS takes off now but I fear that they are too late and many corporates, which should be RIM's core userbase, are already adopting iPads.

The main thing not to like with the PB is the size as IMHO the "killer app" for a tablet is document reading and the 7" screen is too small to do that properly. The new OS does nothing about that - when we see new hardware for the PB it will be interesting to see if they have a 10" option as well. It wouldn't be surprising as how many screen sizes are there for BBs between the Curve, Bold, Torch, etc? RIM is no stranger to product line proliferation so I would expect them to offer multiple sized versions of the PB.

p.s. I am not an Apple fanboy as I have been using BBs for about 10 years - my first device was the 957 (which didn't even have a phone) and I am probably on about my 8th device now (Bold 9900). I prefer a BB to an iPhone but I truly believe the Playbook was not ready to be released in early 2011.
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 03:32 PM
Digital Sage

If you want a bigger screen, it has HDMI out. Folks use business projectors usually for this. That being said, some of us picked up this device and the Kindle Fire because of its size. Anything larger isn't portable and defeats the purpose of a mobile device IMHO.

Larger tablets are great for home use.

The 10" Playbook rumour has been around for some time now, so we'll see what happens.
post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Back on topic for the 2.0 Update, overall I'm enjoying the improvements.

The user interface seems a lot snappier and the native messaging client is awesome (love how it integrates everything into one "Inbox" although it's nice you can filter this as well). App World is definitely improved from the earlier OS. Oh, and I can't forget about the Swiftkey keyboard - way better than the older keyboard. Swiftkey was one of the best 3rd-party keyboards on Android devices, and it's nice to see it here on the PlayBook. If you type in "Ben" you'll see the first suggested word is "Medlock" - the CTO for Swiftkey).

As for things I think still need to improve, the browser is the most important. We still can't edit or sort bookmarks - which is something that should be standard. Hopefully we can start seeing other Android browsers working on the PlayBook (Chrome, Dolphin HD, Opera Mobile). Yes, the browser handles Flash & HTML 5 fine, but bookmark management leaves a lot to be desired. I also feel they took a step backward in the video player. With the old OS, incompatible video files wouldn't appear in the player, but under 2.0 they do (and generate a "File not supported" error upon playback). Finally, we should be able to delete calendar entries for specific Facebook events - can't find a way to do that unless I disable syncing all such events.

I can't comment on the Bridge enhancements as I don't own a BlackBerry smartphone, though this also makes me wish BBM was standard. At least that one I knew wasn't going to be added to this update before I bought the PlayBook.

Overall, nice improvements, and I can't wait to see what's next.
post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 05:29 PM
Veteran

I haven't tried the new remote feature of BlackBerry bridge to PB yet but it should be a fun new feature. There are reports of Bridge 2.0 controlling other BlueTooth devices like Windows PCs and PS3s!

PrintToGo is just awesome Print anything from your PC and have it show up as a PDF on the PB.

Grouping the icons that makes folders. Have a Games folder with all your games in it. I really like how this cleans up the desktop. Simply drag one icon onto another to have it automatically ask you for a folder name.
post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 05:30 PM

Guess I was right.

Anyway, it makes the PlayBook that much more pleasant to use.

Win win, for the price and the OS.
post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The user manual has now been updating for OS 2.0. You can find it here in PDF format:

BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet User Guide (Version 2.0)
post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 07:55 PM

I like how you can now make folders on your home screen by dragging one program icon onto another.

Also, they have put two free games up for download to go with the release of OS2:

Asphalt 6 Adrenaline HD
Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus HD

You can download them through the App Store.
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 07:59 PM

plug playbook into large hd tv via hdmi, and use your bb phone to control the Pbook, very nice feature too!!
post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 08:58 PM

Love the email function sync with my work and webmail. The fact you can now create folders is wonderful. I am so happy with the update no matter what anyone says. The playbook will travel with me!
post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-22, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Same here! Really liking the OS 2.0 update for sure! For those who can't wait for the Android Apps to brought over officially by the developers, you can look around and find folks who are converting them themselves and can be side loaded now. I am running the Android Twitter client, Words with Friends, and a couple of pinball games. Not having a native Twitter client like they do Facebook was my only disappointment with the upgrade.

U.S. tech media are naturally underwhelmed by the update. There is just no pleasing them!
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-22, 04:18 PM

Been doing some searching but can't seem to get a straight answer... Is there going to be a native Playbook or ported Android app for Netflix in Canada?

Thanks,
post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-22, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The main thing not to like with the PB is the size as IMHO the "killer app" for a tablet is document reading and the 7" screen is too small to do that properly.
I think the PB is a good size for reading without being too heavy to hold in one hand.

I recommend the "Book Reader" app: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...50823/?lang=en

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in