BlackBerry Playbook OS 2.0 (now available) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-17, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Great news!! Can start mashing the update button the night of the 20th! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-17, 09:49 PM
Digital Sage

4:01am it's rolling out.
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-17, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

.....but what timezone? (unless it's a rolling update).

Oh well, Tuesday morning when I wake up, I'll grab the update. Can't wait to see how smooth OS 2.0 runs.

post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 06:35 AM

Did you notice the price will now STAY at $199? "no more fluctuations"

Wow, this is a very compelling tablet at this price point.

And with the free updates, native email, android app capability, etc. will make it even more so.
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-18, 11:45 AM
Veteran

But how will RIM make any money at this price? Apple makes more than $199 profit on its iPad sales plus it makes more from media and content sales.
post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-20, 06:32 PM

Now would be a good time to make sure your playbook is fully charged...
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-20, 10:40 PM
Veteran

Reports of BB Bridge 2 in AppWorld right now as we speak and the remote control works for more than just Playbook. Windows PCs, Android tablets too!
post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

....and it's here!

Feel free to post your experiences with the update. I'm just finishing up the install then I will check it later in the morning to see how well it works.

(Update: Once your PlayBook restarts, it will take quite a while to boot up - about 5 minutes or so)
post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 07:58 AM
Digital Sage

My download was 404mb and took about 25 minutes to download, install and reboot.

Added Yahoo Mail.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 08:48 AM
Digital Sage

Press release:

Quote:
Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) announced that the new BlackBerry® PlayBook™ OS 2.0 will be released for download today. BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 delivers an enhanced tablet experience and allows you to use the BlackBerry PlayBook in new ways throughout the day - at work and at play.

“Building on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s proven web browsing, multimedia and multitasking strengths, the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 introduces a range of new communications and productivity enhancements as well as expanded app and content support,” said David J. Smith, SVP Mobile Computing, Research In Motion.

New BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 features include:

Integrated email client with a powerful unified inbox: With BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 you have the option to use a unified inbox that consolidates all messages in one place, including messages from Facebook®, LinkedIn® and Twitter®, as well as personal and work email accounts.

Social Integration with Calendar and Contacts apps: The built-in calendar harnesses information from social networks and makes it available where and when users need it. Contact cards are also dynamically populated with updated information from Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to create a consolidated view of contacts.

Updated BlackBerry Bridge app: BlackBerry® Bridge™ is a unique app that provides a Bluetooth® connection between your BlackBerry PlayBook and core apps on your BlackBerry® smartphone (including BBM™, Email, Contacts, Calendar and Browser) in order to let you view the content on the larger tablet display. With BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, it’s easier and quicker than ever to take documents, web pages, emails and photos that appear on your BlackBerry smartphone and display them on your BlackBerry PlayBook for an optimized viewing and editing experience. The updated BlackBerry Bridge app also provides a new remote control feature that allows a BlackBerry smartphone to be used as a wireless keyboard and mouse for a BlackBerry PlayBook.

Improved mobile productivity: Updated document editing functions, the new Print To Go app, and increased control and manageability of corporate data with BlackBerry® Balance ™ allow you to get more out of your BlackBerry PlayBook every day. Plus, an updated virtual keyboard with auto correction and predictive next word completion learns how you type to enable faster, more accurate typing.

New apps and content: Thousands of new apps are being added to BlackBerry App World™ today (including a range of Android® apps that will run on the BlackBerry PlayBook). A new BlackBerry Video Store1 is launching today. Enhanced web browsing capabilities are also available with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0.
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 10:49 AM
Veteran

I hit the install button at some point in the middle of the night lol... Woke up this morning rebooted and then got to play for about half an hour before work. Definitely feels more modern that's for sure its as snappy as usual as well! Wife's hit the install button before leaving for the day.
post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 12:41 PM
Veteran

I don't understand why RIM decided to use Exchange ActiveSync for emails instead of their own BES email. They're catching up to what the other competitors have already been using for months instead of using their own technology.
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 12:50 PM

It's really annoying, seeing articles criticise RIM and the Playbook 2.0 update. Those writers seem to be only concerned with brand new purchases.

I just want to state, that this upgrade is very intriging and that I intend on buying the Playbook within the next couple days. This thread also show'd that the upgrade was also a big plus for the existing Playbook owners.

The hardware is still very competitive, and the build quality is on another level itself.

Everything
post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 12:59 PM
Veteran

ActiveSync is kind of the industry standard for business. It was the path of least resistance for doing e-mail on QNX IMHO.
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 2012-02-21, 01:01 PM
Veteran

I don't buy it when all the RIM backers I speak to say they prefer their BB phones because it doesn't use ActiveSync. So now ActiveSync is preferred over BES? What's the future of BES then?

And where's BBM on the playbook?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in