Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Nexus Prime) announced - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Nexus Prime) announced

It's finally official.

Quote:
HSPA+ or 4G LTE, depending on region
1.2GHz dualcore processor
4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED display
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
5mp autofocus camera with LED flash, autofocus, no shutter lag and fast shot2shot
1080p HD playback and recording at 30 FPS
Bluetooth 3.0
USB 2.0
WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n
NFC chip
Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light and proximity sensors, barometer
1GB of RAM
16GB or 32GB internal storage
135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94 mm, 135 grams
1,750 mAh li-ion battery
Source

Interestingly, this phone has pentaband HSPA+, which means it will work with both incumbent and new carriers. It will likely be available in Canada early next year. No word on carrier partners yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 11:59 PM
Veteran

I'm almost sold right now. I've been wanting to switch to Mobilicity for a while, but wanted a phone that would at least be comparable to my Galaxy S II. I kept telling myself that if the Galaxy Nexus was compatible with AWS frequencies then I'd buy it and switch, but was quite surprised when they mentioned it was a pentaband phone (so if Mobilicity doesn't work I can still use it on one of the "big 3" carriers.

About the only thing that's holding me back is the camera. I really want to see how it compares to my S II, since I don't want to downgrade too much. I know the megapixel count is lower, but we all know megapixels aren't everything. I know that I could always get a point-and-shoot camera to complement my phone, but it's just so convenient carrying one device even if I do have to sacrifice a little quality to do so.

One other thing I would really like to see (though I'm doubtful about it) is if the Galaxy Nexus uses the Wolfson Micro WM8994 audio chipset. This was used in the original Galaxy S smartphone, and when tweaked using Voodoo Sound, it offered excellent audio quality. The Galaxy S II went to a Yamaha-based solution which isn't nearly as good.

Overall, I can't wait to see the reviews on this phone, and if I do get it I'll be more than happy to share my viewpoints on it.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to get it to replace my increasingly dated Nexus One. The only thing that I still need to see is the battery life; it has to be comparable at least.

I'm glad to see a return of the docking connector, I really love the dock on my Nexus One and I'd hate to give that up.

It's unfortunate that it's only coming to Verizon in the US for now. That means that until the HSPA version comes to Canada (or the US), Canadians will have to import it from Europe or Asia. That usually carries a steep premium. Hopefully it'll land here soon.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Scratch that last bit. From the Google Mobile Blog:
Quote:
Starting in November, Galaxy Nexus will be available in the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia.
No word on carriers yet, but I bet Wind and Mobilicity would kill to get in on this one.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 07:15 AM
Veteran

I wonder if that 4.65" screen is the same size phone as today's 4.3" phones. And the extra display is where the permanent buttons have been replaced? I have a 4.3" HTC Desire HD and the overall size of the phone is fine for me.

Galaxy Nexus - 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94mm
HTC DHD - 123 x 68 x 11.8 mm
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 02:17 PM
Member #1

TorontoColin, so technically there is nothing technically that prevent Wind and Mobilicity from offering it. Do you think there is any non-technical reason why they might not carry it?

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Volume. This phone is going to be pricey. I don't know if Wind or Mobilicity can sell enough units, especially with limited subsidy options, in order to place an order Samsung will fill.

It's really the same reason they haven't carried most other high-end AWS smartphones.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 02:37 PM
Member #1

Thanks that makes sense.

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:11 PM
Digital Sage

If I can find an unlocked AWS phone I might consider getting it for my Wind account.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Volume. This phone is going to be pricey. I don't know if Wind or Mobilicity can sell enough units, especially with limited subsidy options, in order to place an order Samsung will fill.

It's really the same reason they haven't carried most other high-end AWS smartphones.
Both WIND and Mobilicity do carry the Nexus S. So there is hope for the Galaxy Nexus.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Almost all Nexus devices are sold unlocked (I believe some of the Vodafone Nexus Ones were the only exception). If they sell it here, it will probably be unlocked.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veee View Post
Both WIND and Mobilicity do carry the Nexus S. So there is hope for the Samsung Nexus.
But it took them two and a half months, by which time hardware costs had probably dropped. Not only that, but they're both still holding stock on the Nexus S, which will make it even harder to invest in Galaxy Nexus inventory.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Wow - Pricey phone! They have released prices for Denmark, Finland, Sweden, UK, etc., and while these are usually higher than North America, the converted prices put it anywhere from $815 to $898.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:47 PM
Member #1

My guess is that Wind would have a better chance than Mobilicity of meeting the minimums simply because they have a bigger user base and are signing up more users.

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
Wow - Pricey phone! They have released prices for Denmark, Finland, Sweden, UK, etc., and while these are usually higher than North America, the converted prices put it anywhere from $815 to $898.
Actually in the UK the price is $690 (in Canadian dollars) before taxes. The same vendor also sells the Nexus S for $560.

Seeing as the Nexus S launched in Canada for around $500, I'm guessing the Galaxy Nexus will be around $600 here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in