Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich discussion - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I think its a real shame that any 2012 release is coming with anything other then ICS...
That statement pretty much sums up the biggest challenge Android is facing...95% of the Android community is still running a 2.x release and that's all they will ever be able to run. Jelly Bean is rumoured to be out in less than six months and any handset not already ported will be deprioritised as the manufacturers rush to the Next Big Thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 11:49 AM

does anyone know of a way to force an update on telus? the website says the Nexus S is at 4.0.4 now but my phone is still at 2.3.6 and is still saying it is up to date?

edit: nevermind after playing around with it for a while i finally got the update
post #123 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

You can force a checkin with the server, but your best bet is probably just to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Jelly Bean is rumoured to be out in less than six months
Jelly Bean is rumoured to be announced in less than six months. Even if it was, it wouldn't be released until late fall with the new Nexus phone, unless it's a really minor update.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #124 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-12, 01:08 PM

motorola seems to be the worst (now that google has a stake in them i don't know anymore) about updating their phones. my folks have the moto dext and they are stuck on donut
post #125 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-17, 11:59 AM

I've been waiting a couple of weeks and still nothing....
post #126 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 09:38 AM

Thumbs up Acer Iconia A100 gets ICS Today

Finally Acer is rolling out the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the A100 today in Canada, Mexico, Philippines, parts of USA...
post #127 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 10:25 AM

i just flashed a custom 4.0.4 to my galaxy nexus. totally worth it!! way better then the 4.0.1 stock including battey life!!
post #128 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 02:57 PM
Veteran

^ Why? What's better? And don't you loose all settings and apps when you do that?
post #129 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 03:11 PM

you can back up all your apps call log / sms info and restore after you flash the newest version.

Cant say its a ton faster but its theme-able and has options that stock doesnt have and battery life is better(mostly from 4.0.4 update. options such as toggles on the notification bar, weather, change the soft buttons and height of said buttons. change colors. and more that im sure i forget!

The only thing you loose is your home screen setup. Heres a few screens from my current setup.

post #130 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 01:58 PM

a word of warning if you root your phone you would most likely void any warranty you have with it. it is possible to restore it back and lock the bootloader again but they still may be able to tell if it was rooted or not
post #131 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 02:13 PM

what warranty? i have yet to know a person how has managed to actually have a phone fixed under warranty since physical damage is never covered.

And it is COMPLETELY possible to re-lock / restore stock in a way that its not possible to tell.

if you realy want the stock "google" experience i would still recommend flashing and putting on the Google firmware. at least then you get the updates as fast as possible.
post #132 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-04-25, 02:35 PM

i only say this because like most electronics their may still be a way they can tell if the device was modified in the past so without any concrete evidence on how you can hide the rooting you have done i would still advise caution. warranties cost companies money and they will do try anything to get out of it. also there are many stories i have heard over the year's about how people have had to get their phones fixed or replaced under warranty so it may not be as uncommon as you think. all i know is with how much money you spend on something like this the risks can be great and may end up costing you in the end no matter how reliable the phone or info you receive is
post #133 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-05-04, 11:20 AM
Veteran

Not all root methods for all devices require unlocking the boot loader (warranty red flag, hard to undo for many devices). If you used one of those alternate root methods, it can easily be removed.

I've read accounts of some manufacturers still honouring warranty if its clearly unrelated to your software mods (e.g. N1 power switch issues some users had).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in