Apple ID question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Apple ID question

We have three iDevices in the house - my wife's iPhone, my iPad and my daughters iPad. I have just been using one Apple ID on all three devices (actually one Canadian ID and one US ID).

But now with iCloud and iMessage should each person have their own ID? I am thinking yes, but using one ID would facilitate sharing photos, etc. should I just set up separate IDs for iMessage and use the one ID for everything else like iCloud and iTunes store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 10:52 PM

The multiple ID's would solve a lot of problems. I first started having issues when I hit the 5 computer limit (What we can't have a HTPC in every room ?) I recently had to create an apple ID for each of my family members for facetime to work so people can call my daughter in her room, wife in the living room etc -(I just wish it was more reliable on wifi and across different versions of OS )

A separate ID may help but my ID is the one used to pay for all the songs movies apps books etc and the passcode is stored in all devices and all my family knows it (this I must admit is a bit of a problem with the TV remote as it doubles as an apple tv remote and I find we often randomly buy or rent a movies when your channel surfing or in the menu etc )

My preference would be if they had a "family account" and we could each have a separate user ID and share across the common family ID
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ok - how about a separate ID for Facetime (which only applies to one of my three devices) and iMessage? But use the same account for the iTunes store and iCloud which should facilitate sharing of apps, photos, music, etc.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 02:02 AM

I think we need to understand the 5GB icloud free option better. Is this 5GB per device or per Apple ID (it looks like it's per apple ID but if you have more than 1 ID on a device do you get another 5GB) . If it's per ID do we want to have seperate ID on each device and just use as an off site backup instead of data sharing
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 03:41 AM

I think that what confuses people is that they equate Apple ID with iCloud account (formally MobileMe account.) They are not the same!

An Apple ID can be registered with any email account, be it an @me.com account, a @hotmail.com account, an @gmail.com account or any other email account. My Apple ID is registered using the email address that I have using my own private domain name.

An iCloud account (what was previously a MobileMe account) is an account that is used for gaining an email account and other additional service associated with iCloud. It is like similar to registering for a Gmail account or a Hotmail account.

Generally, what you should have is one Apple ID that is used as an iTunes Store account. That one should be used by everyone on their various devices and on their Mac/PCs in iTunes. This way all purchases made in the iTunes Store, be they apps or other media, can be shared by everyone.

As for iCloud accounts, these should be separate and unique for each person. They would use the same account for each of their personal devices. This will give each person separate accounts for email, iMessage, calendars, etc.

If you already have an Apple ID that you've been using in iTunes as a store account you should continue to use that for all purchases. In addition to that you should register separate iCloud accounts for each person who needs one so that they have separate IDs that can be used for email and messaging.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

But what about stuff like sharing photos? I was under the impression that if you use one iCloud account then all of your photos from all devices get merged together in the cloud. From my perspective that is a good thing. I don't mind paying a few bucks a month to have access to something like that.

But how does email, especially if you are using Gmail or Yahoo Mail, matter when it comes to iCloud. The only thing that I am thinking that I really need separate IDs for is iMessage and Facetime. But we don't really use Facetime in the family as we only have one device with a camera, an iPhone 4, plus two iPad1s. Once I upgrade to newer iPads that will become an issue.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
But what about stuff like sharing photos? I was under the impression that if you use one iCloud account then all of your photos from all devices get merged together in the cloud. From my perspective that is a good thing. I don't mind paying a few bucks a month to have access to something like that.
My understanding is that iCloud will only store to 100 photos max and then rotate so that only the latest 100 are stored in photostream.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:05 AM

I'm in the same boat (almost). My family has a shared Apple ID for our iOS devices and that's fine for app purchases and movie rentals. It appears you can keep it for just that and create a seperate iCloud user for syncing data to iCloud.

Bill
My blog
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

But how does email, especially if you are using Gmail or Yahoo Mail, matter when it comes to iCloud. The only thing that I am thinking that I really need separate IDs for is iMessage and Facetime. But we don't really use Facetime in the family as we only have one device with a camera, an iPhone 4, plus two iPad1s. Once I upgrade to newer iPads that will become an issue.
My point was that an Apple ID and an iCloud account are NOT the same thing. They are completely different and that is where the confusion comes from.

An Apple ID is something you use to, for instance, create an iTunes account, an Apple Communities account, register your Apple hardware purchases, etc. It can be any email address including, but not limited to, an iCloud email address, a Hotmail email address, a Gmail email address, or any number of other email addresses you own from any other source.

Do you understand the above, Yes or no?

An iCloud account (formally a MobileMe account) is a email address that ends in @me.com. It is used to separate accounts among users. It provides separate accounts for email, calendar, address book as well as Photo Stream, FaceTime, iChat, iMessage, etc. If multiple people use the same iCloud account then all those people will be able to access each others data but that may cause conflicts. For example if an iMessage arrives every one sharing the account will see it and be able to answer it. That goes for ALL iCloud services. You can't separate out the ones you want to share from the ones you want private.

So to answer your question, yes, you can share an iCloud account to merge all your photos in to one stream but then all your email, calendar events, address book contacts, will be shared as well. Also when an iMessage or Facetime or iChat message arrives it will arrive to all the devices that are sharing the account as well. That is probably not what you want.

Do you understand the difference Now?

Now, to be honest, I haven't migrated to iCloud yet so I don't know if Apple has already thought about your dilemma and allowed for it but from my initial understanding it isn't possible to share or merge only the photo streaming. If you want a service, to share for photos, then you need to get a separate one. You could create a Flickr account, for example, that everyone has access to and use that as a shared photo account.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My understanding is that iCloud will only store to 100 photos max and then rotate so that only the latest 100 are stored in photostream.
I believe it is 1,000, rather than 100 photos that are synced to iCloud Photo Stream.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:24 PM

It seems to me that you can pick and choose what to sync with other members of your household. Having said that, we only got this set up late last night.

Here is what I have done for our household with our @mac.com/@me.com address:

Settings>iCloud

Mail OFF
Contacts ON
Calendars ON
Reminders OFF (therefore my husband and I aren't sharing reminders)
Bookmarks OFF (again, we don't want to share bookmarks)
Notes ON (for me only using the iPad2 and iPhone...he has his turned OFF)
Photo Stream ON

For iTunes purchases we then set our iTunes account with the @rogers.com address.
For iMessage we each use our personal email addresses.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
An iCloud account (formally a MobileMe account) is a email address that ends in @me.com. It is used to separate accounts among users. It provides separate accounts for email, calendar, address book as well as Photo Stream, FaceTime, iChat, iMessage, etc. If multiple people use the same iCloud account then all those people will be able to access each others data but that may cause conflicts. For example if an iMessage arrives every one sharing the account will see it and be able to answer it. That goes for ALL iCloud services. You can't separate out the ones you want to share from the ones you want private.
I think I see e difference now but are you sure that an iCloud account is a an email address that ends in .me? I am definitely using my gmail ID as my iCloud account I can see that by going into settings on my iPad.

I also don't see what email has to do with this if you are using non-Apple email such as gmail or yahoo. If my wife and I are using the exact same Apple ID for everything I can see how it would cause problems for iMessage, FaceTime, etc, but I don't see how it would have anyone to do with her Yahoo mail getting crossed with my Gmail.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:00 PM

Again, you are confusing Apple ID with iCloud account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I think I see e difference now but are you sure that an iCloud account is a an email address that ends in .me?
No, it ends in @me.com for example, [email protected]

Quote:
I am definitely using my gmail ID as my iCloud account I can see that by going into settings on my iPad.
No you are not! When, or if, you set up an iCloud account (formally MobileMe) your are setting up an account that is used for the services that are delivered by that service which includes email, calendar, address book, iChat, FaceTime, iMessage, Photo Stream, etc.

As podgirl posted above you can turn off or not use all the services of an iCloud account but if you share it with another person you will experience conflicts with certain ones namely, email, iChat, FaceTime, iMessage etc.

Now, that's not to say that the email account that your are accessing from your iPad is not your Gmail account, it is just not your iCloud account. You may not even have an iCloud account for all I know.

Once you've created an iCloud account you can use that as an Apple ID but then again you can use any email account you own as an Apple ID, including the Gmail account you already have. It does not need to be an iCloud account.

Quote:
I also don't see what email has to do with this if you are using non-Apple email such as gmail or yahoo. If my wife and I are using the exact same Apple ID for everything I can see how it would cause problems for iMessage, FaceTime, etc, but I don't see how it would have anyone to do with her Yahoo mail getting crossed with my Gmail.
You are correct your Gmail account and your wife's Yahoo account are separate and I never suggested that they would interfere with each other. iMessage or FaceTime on the other hand are iCloud services not Apple ID services. If you are both sharing an Apple ID that is not an iCloud account then you won't have any conflicts regarding services that are iCloud based.

My point is that an Apple ID can be registered using any of those email addresses it does not have to be an iCloud account. If however you want to share apps, movie/TV purchases etc., between the two of you it would be best to use one Apple ID for both of you and that Apple ID can be any ID you choose.

I've said the same thing three time in three different ways. If you don't understand by now I'm afraid that demonstrating the difference while standing over your shoulder is the only other way I will get through. And that ain't gonna happen, sorry.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:21 PM

I bet most people set up iCloud with their iTunes account. I know I did when I set it up yesterday.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with that as long you you know the difference between what an Apple ID is and what an iCloud account is.

Apple IDs are confusing to people now that they are used for more than just registering your hardware purchases and joining Apple Community forums. Now that they are also used for iTunes store accounts that can be shared amongst other people that kind of throws an wrench in things as you have to think about it a little.

Once Apple introduced MobileMe, and now iCloud, more people become confused about the concept of what an Apple ID was and how it differs from an iCloud account Since to many people they are both the same thing as they use their iCloud account for their Apple ID as well. And again there is nothing wrong with that it just gets confusing.

Apple hasn't helped the situation. Their literature and help files seem to use them interchangeably sometimes so that also confuses people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in