Apple ID question - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

There are still a few hundred million of us ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 01:01 AM

For those of you who are not aware, Apple has a web site for creating and managing Apple IDs.

https://appleid.apple.com/

The Apple IDs you create there are the ones that are not automatically created when you create an iCloud account. For example if you have another email address from say Hotmail, Gmail or your ISP and you want to use that as your Apple ID you can use that email address to create and Apple ID from the web site I've link to above.

Do not use that interface to create an Apple ID that uses your iCloud account email address as the account ID. If you are using your iCloud account as your Apple ID you can however use those credentials to log in and manage your Apple ID.

Remember the email address you use to create the Apple ID is merely the account ID used to log in to the various services that require an Apple ID. It is in no way associated with the email address itself in any other way. For example, you won't somehow be able to use that email address to access your email while logged in to Apple services like iCloud.

I hope I'm not confusing people any more by showing you this.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It looks like iMessage has a variety of ways of identifying the party that you are sending a message to and that you don't really have to use an Apple ID. For example you can enter the name of the person with an iPhone and iMessage is smart enough to know who to send the message to, assuming that you have their iPhone num in the Contacts DB. Therefore you don't really need a Apple ID for iMessage purposes on an iPhone and I am presuming that Factetalk works the same way. I have now upgraded my iPad and my wife's iPhone and we are both using the same Apple ID for pretty much everything right now.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

iCloud certificate failure on iPad

Last night I was able to get iCloud Backup working on my iPad. At first it was failing but I bought more space from Apple and that allowed it to work - but it wasn't very clear that a lack of iCloud space was the problem.

Today I just got the following error message:

Quote:
Verification Failed
The certifcate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "setup.icloud.com" which could put your confidential information at risk.
Googling this error doesn't bring up anything relevant. Has anyone seen this before? Am I correct to assume that this is likely a temporary error?
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 05:53 PM
Veteran

You can go into your settings on either your iPhone or iPad and there is now an item called 'iCloud'. Near the bottom of that is an item named 'storage and backup'. Within that there is info on how you are using your storage space. For mine it says 704mb for my iPad 2 and 348 for my iPhone (and 25mb for Pages). Did you really use up all 5GB? Did you check that before buying more storage space?
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

It turns out that I wasn't using up all of my space. When I go into Mange Storage I see that my wife's iPhone is using 3.6GB and my iPad is using 603MB for a total of 4.2GB.

It must just be a coincidence that it worked to backup after I bought space.

But here is the other weird thing - last night I upgraded my wife's iPhone. I might have tried to turn on iCloud Backup but I definitely turned it off later on. Tonight I was playing with the phone and I turned on iCloud backup. It has been backing up for over an hour and it still says 9 hours to go. Using my full upload bandwidth it should only take about 4 hours to upload 3.6GB as my upload speed is 2MB/s.

But how did it get the original 3.6GB to the iCloud in the first place? Would it have uploaded the backup from my PC?

And is every iCloud backup a full backup? Doesn't it do incremental backups?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in