iOS 5.0 now available for download - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:37 PM
Member #1

Again, I said it left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't see this as a technological disaster or near as bad as RIM's troubles this week!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Except that now my video podcasts are no longer under the "Podcast" section of the music app. I have to go to the Video app for those. A step backward and I'm not liking.
post #78 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by querty-m4n
You could be out of town, connect to a hotspot and sync your iDevice after you've purchased a movie or taken a few pictures of the family at a BBQ.
I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing this up.

I went back as a test to see what happens if I restored my iPod Touch to its original settings. Call me dumb, it deleted all my apps and made it look it was reverted back to the factory settings. I did see a message about deleting purchases, however I just shrugged it off.

Thanks to the App Store Purchase History, I was able to retrieve my so called 'lost' applications and settings.

post #79 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Dumb design decision Apple, really dumb

iOS 5 will randomly delete your downloaded content if space gets too low. Details here: http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning
post #80 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 05:20 PM

iMessage Help

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure out how iMessage works. I understand it is like bbm for the IOS5 platform, but how do I send an iMessage from my iPhone4 to someone with an iPad running IOS5? With BBM each user has a pin, but from what I gather iMessage doesn't. Kind of at a loss here... Any help would be appreciated
post #81 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 05:25 PM
Veteran

I was able to send an iMessage from an iPad to an iPhone using the person's phone number. I am guessing for an iPad you will need the Apple ID as when my message popped up on his iPhone it showed my Apple ID in the "From" field.

What does the iPad have in Settings-Messages, Receive At?
post #82 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 08:26 PM
Veteran

I saw a report on a web site saying that most problems have now passed and they recommend that you shouldn't have any problems upgrading now.
post #83 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:39 PM

Camera

I am struggling with the quick access to camera.

My iPad is locked and I liked the idea of quick access to a camera. I double click home button and I get a screen for music play pause.

Next to lock button is photo,s so I can view photos ( not sure I like that idea ). But I can't take new photos unless I unlock.

Anyone get this working iPad 2 3G 64gb iOS 5
post #84 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 11:43 AM
jem

Are you supposed to be able to swipe down on the Lock screen and see your notifications? It doesn't work for me. Notifications appear when something happens, but I can see the list unless I unlock. Close, but not quite there!
post #85 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know how to get the "mirror imaging" function to work on my ATV2?
I have my iPad2 with the latest IOS5 up-date.....all seems to be working well, no miising files/folders no problems.....I also up-dated my ATV2.

So, what do you have to do to get the ATV2 to mirror my ipad2 on my TV. I have used the connector and hdmi cable before but I thought that this was no longer necessary?

Thanks

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #86 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 01:27 PM
tjl

Double click the home button (or four finger swipe to bring up the multitask bar). Swipe the multitask bar from left to right to bring up the ipod functions. Click the little TV looking thing, and select Apple TV, and then turn on the mirroring button.

It worked fairly well on my wife's ipad 2. There was some delay between what happens on the ipad and what happens on the TV, but that could be in my home network.

My original ipad doesn't support it, which is disapointing as it was one of the things I was most looking forward to.
post #87 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 01:28 PM
Member #1

Using AirPlay from Apple.

Haven't been able to try it as I haven't updated my ATV2

post #88 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 02:31 PM
Premium Supporter

A few things ...

Some things I've noticed since I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 the other day.
• Lock screen notifications are only accessible for notifications received whilst your phone is actually locked.
• You need to upgrade the firmware on your Apple TV 2 to take advantage of new features relating to iCloud and iPad 2/iPhone 4S mirroring.
• iMessage identifies people by their Apple ID.
• To use iMessage, you need to turn it on under Settings > Messages on your iDevice.
• Character counts while using SMS are only displayed after a certain number of characters is typed. They are not displayed at all for iMessages.

Last edited by downbeat; 2011-10-14 at 07:28 PM.
post #89 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl View Post
Double click the home button (or four finger swipe to bring up the multitask bar). Swipe the multitask bar from left to right to bring up the ipod functions. Click the little TV looking thing, and select Apple TV, and then turn on the mirroring button.

It worked fairly well on my wife's ipad 2. There was some delay between what happens on the ipad and what happens on the TV, but that could be in my home network.

My original ipad doesn't support it, which is disapointing as it was one of the things I was most looking forward to.
Thanks, I actually just noticed the icon a couple of minutes ago. LOL

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #90 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-15, 08:43 AM

Has anyone updated a 3GS to ios5? I was planning on trying today but not sure it will be of any real advantage on the older iphones.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in