iOS 5.0 now available for download - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Except for power.
No. I added some photos into the iTunes page on the desktop and checked that the file would be synced. While my iPad sat UNTETHERED on the desk, I initiated sync in the low right corner as before and it synced wirelessly. Only if you initiate the sync from the device itself through setting/general must it be plugged in to the power outlet.

(with the "Sync with this iPod over Wi-fi" checkbox enabled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:13 AM
Veteran

I'll have to test this tonight when I get home. I am just going off of what Apple said in their instructions for this feature, that it must be plugged into power to syn through wifi.
post #63 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Hey you guys! Stop breaking the Internet!

Quote:
Demand for yesterday’s iOS 5 release combined with all the associated updates for OS X and other apps caused “unprecedented levels” of traffic over one UK broadband network.

Writing on their own network status alerts site, engineers at UK ISP AAISP reported that “something was up” at 8.48pm UK time last night.

Ten minutes later, they updated with:

This is worse than the world cup traffic!

Then moments later:

Only clue is the new Apple iOS5 stuff – if that is the cause I am impressed.

Followed by:

Usage has just reached unprecedented levels – we have not seen anything like this…
and

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-traffic-spike

Quote:
Demand for Apple's update to its iPhone and Mac software to enable its "iCloud" services caused a gigantic surge in internet traffic in Europe.

Throughput in the UK jumped by 200 gigabits per second – equivalent to more than a fifth of normal traffic – a spike that lasted for roughly four hours.

The colossal demand, which was mirrored around the world as the update became available from the company's servers at 1800 BST on Wednesday, will have been the severest strain on the cloud systems that Steve Jobs showed off in his last major speech in June.

post #64 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:42 AM

Tried WiFi sync and I was laughing at how weird it looked on my PCs screen. It wasn't as fast as having the usb plugged in to the computer, though. That is to be expected.

I could see this as a forward step. You could be out of town, connect to a hotspot and sync your iDevice after you've purchased a movie or taken a few pictures of the family at a BBQ.
post #65 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by querty-m4n View Post
You could be out of town, connect to a hotspot and sync your iDevice after you've purchased a movie or taken a few pictures of the family at a BBQ.
I thought you had to be on the same wifi network as your iTunes to be able to sync wirelessly.
post #66 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
same wifi network as your iTunes
Although it seems to work through a Safari connection on the device, I believe it has to be on the same wi-fi network. Otherwise there would be no need of iCloud
post #67 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:24 AM
jem

I updated both my iphone4 and ipad2 yesterday. Like most everyone, I was concerned about losing all the data for my apps (Comixology and Zinio in particular). Once I reinstalled the apps, I found that all my magazines were still there. Did anyone else find this? Hugh, you stated that you had to re-download all your magazines, but I find it strange that I did not.
As for the Wifi Sync, it's not particularly smooth to get started. You have to turn the Wifi sync on in iTunes with the device connected. Once you turn it on in iTunes, the device will find iTunes on your network pretty easily. Also, I wouldn't suggest trying to do a full sync over wifi, it seems to get bogged down with reinstalling apps. Do a full sync physically connected to your computer, then use Wifi for incremental syncs.
Now that I've tried it on my machines, I'll probably try it with my girlfriends iPad2 and iPhone 3Gs. Has anyone heard of any issues with the 3Gs? I know that a lot of people didn't recommend iOS4 with the 3Gs, but I would be interested to know about this release.

Thanks, all.
post #68 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:25 AM
Veteran

I'm disappointed that iOS5 still doesn't support live podcast updates without having the need to download them in iTunes first.
post #69 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:28 AM

No problems

downloaded the iOS 5 update for my wife's iPad 1 this am. Downloaded first then did the install to try to avoid some of the issues that seem rampant in the twitterverse. Downloaded no proble, then came the backups and restore. Had to leave for work just after it completed but all seems fine.
post #70 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:36 PM
Veteran

iTunes randomly opens

I have just unchecked the box "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected". Hopeful I won't continue to get random popups of iTunes. We'll see.
post #71 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:44 PM
Member #1

Quote:
Hugh, you stated that you had to re-download all your magazines, but I find it strange that I did not.
And all my Globe and Mail Newspapers. Remember mine errored out multiple times and said it was doing a restore so I was shocked to even see iOS5 installed.

post #72 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:48 PM
Member #1

Quote:
While my iPad sat UNTETHERED on the desk, I initiated sync in the low right corner as before and it synced wirelessly.
Tried that twice and got the following. Anyone else?

Edit: Hmm, third time was the charm!

post #73 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:56 PM

I'm new to the Apple scene with the iPAD2 being the only Apple device I have.

I must say that I found the update process to be completely unintuitive.

When I connected to iTunes it said that IOS5 was available and asked if I wanted to update. I said YES and it proceeded to download.

Afterwards it said a backup had to be performed 1st... OK ..
Then after the backup (maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention) it said it was doing a restore.. I though to myself.. That is bizarre @#[email protected]# Maybe it's just a check to ensure the backup / restore process works properly before updating (I never did a backup before so I was unsure)

After the restore was complete there were no messages in iTUNES saying that the upgrade was going to happen. I looked at the iPAD and it wasn't doing anything. I decided to go into setting's and sure enough it was updated to IOS5.

Then I had to accept new terms of use agreements at least 3 times (itunes, icloud, gamecenter., etc...). If you dismiss the itunes terms of use you cannot launch any of your downloads apps.
post #74 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:04 PM
Member #1

avengingangel, my first update was iOS 2. As I recall, major Updates 2,3,4 were seamless. All the interim updates were seamless and intuitive.

This update was not seamless and not intuitive for me. I hated the way I had to answer questions and not know what was happening after the update. As I noted, it definitely left a sour taste with me.

post #75 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:34 PM
Veteran

I agree Hugh that Apple seems to have dropped the ball with this upgrade. It is interesting to note that, at least as of yet, they are not getting that much negative publicity from this. I guess Apple can do no wrong.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in