iOS 5.0 now available for download - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:07 AM

@AFF: If you don't update you won't be able to get any new apps (or update the old ones) because they either work with the old iOS or iOS 5... but not both, at least not in general. I checked for updates of my apps and several updates came up... but none would download because it said that they won't work on my iPod touch that was running yesterday's OS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:14 AM
Veteran

I'm not touching this until at least a few days have passed based upon the amount of "you must upgrade to work on iOS 5" descriptions I see in app upgrades.
post #48 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 12:21 AM

I've had iTunes launch on it's own 3 times since upgrading to IOS 5. My iPad wasn't connected to the computer any of the 3 times, and the last time the iPad was off when this happened.

I upgrade to the new version of iTunes yesterday, and this only started happening since upgrade to IOS 5 tonight.

Anyone else seeing this?

post #49 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't see an icon on the lockscreen for taking photos though... is this only available on the iPhone and iPod Touch?
I think you have to double tap the home button before the icon shows up next to the lock slider bar on the screen but cannot verify as I haven't upgraded yet. Just read it somehwere.
post #50 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 01:20 AM

Tried that, and only the music playback controls show up. No camera icon or anything.
post #51 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:15 AM
Member #1

So far, I have yet to really see anything in the new iOS that will be of benefit to me. Newstand, iCloud, Reminders and Messages don't have any use for me. I"ll probably make use of iCloud in the future but I'm not sure why right now since my mail, contacts, calendars and photos are all stored elsewhere and backed up.

Some Questions:
  • Anybody know how to get rid of the Newsstand Icon? I tried to place it inside of a folder that I have for Apple Apps I never use but it won't let me.
  • Also I tried WiFi sync in settings and it just sits there and does nothing. The Sync Now button doesn't seem to be active despite iTunes being open on my computer.

PS. Tried updating iPhone this morning but timed out so I will update iPhone's, iPad and iPod Touches next week.

post #52 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Anybody noticed this change with iOS5? All my video podcasts are not listed under podcasts anymore. They're under the Video app. So I have to scout two apps (Music and Video) to get to my podcasts depending if it's an audio or video podcast. It wasn't like this before. Very annoying!
post #53 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
[*]Also I tried WiFi sync in settings and it just sits there and does nothing. The Sync Now button doesn't seem to be active despite iTunes being open on my computer.
You have to connect your device to your computer. Then there's a "Sync with this iPod over Wi-fi" checkbox in iTunes on the first page of the device. It started working for me after turning that on.
post #54 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 09:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Also I tried WiFi sync in settings and it just sits there and does nothing. The Sync Now button doesn't seem to be active despite iTunes being open on my computer.
This button is only active when your device is on the power charging and the device is connected to your wi-fi. Also check the box on the device pages of iTunes.
post #55 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:23 AM
Veteran

I updated my ATV2 last night at around 9:00pm with one failure. I updated my iPhone 4 at around 11:30pm last night. I had no problems, but the entire process took quite a while to complete. Once IOS was installed, all of my apps and music/videos where automatically restored back on. While this was happening I was able to go through all of the iCloud setup screens on the iPhone. I'm not sure exactly how long it took as I tried to go to sleep while it was restoring. Of course I couldn't sleep as I kept checking to see if my phone was done. I was finally able to eject the phone at around 1:00am. I ran the Lion update after that.

So far it seems pretty good. I really like the new notification system.
post #56 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:31 AM
Member #1

FYI for WiFi sync.

I had to manually sync my iPad2 to iTunes (with the "Sync with this iPod over Wi-fi" checkbox enabled) before I could do it through WiFi.

Having to have the iPad plugged in before wireless sync seems dumb. I understand you don't want the iPad running out of juice during an update but I can manually plug my iPad into my computer( and its not charging) so the same problem could occur with a physical connection too.

post #57 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Having to have the iPad plugged in before wireless sync seems dumb.
I also don't like having to plug in my device for wireless sync. I usually charge my phone at work or on my computer when I am at home. So, in my case, it makes more sense to just sync when I am connected to my iMac.
post #58 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:49 AM
Member #1

The way I see it is if you are going to force me to have my computer turned on and then to have my iPad plugged into the wall then I might just as well do a connected sync.

post #59 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 10:54 AM
Veteran

It will work the other way wirelessly though. Open iTunes and hit sync while your device is within range of the wi-fi will work. At least it doesn't have to be plugged in to anything.
post #60 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
At least it doesn't have to be plugged in to anything.
Except for power.

The only way I think this would be good, in my case, is when my wife is on the iMac (which is most evenings) and I need to sync my phone. I can now do it through wifi. So I will use it for these instances. The rest of the time I will just sync directly plugged into my mac
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in