iOS 5.0 now available for download - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:35 PM

I finally got my 3GS iPhone updated after many error codes. Had to do a full restore. Now I'm trying to update the iPad2...it's on the third try so far. There's no way I'm going to tell my non techie girlfriends to update their iPads as of yet! (Not that I'm very tech knowledgeable, but more so than them.)

So far I love the alert tones for Reminders. The Sherwood Forest one is awesome. In the iTunes store I like the Yoda one where he says, "Do...or do not. There is no try."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:12 PM
Veteran

If your apps are empty (ie Music, Books etc) tether your iPad to the iTunes you were using and restore what you had, assuming you backed up on your computer. You may have to re check some of the preferences, as they might have reverted to default.
post #33 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:18 PM

Location: Calgary: Samsung UND556300 LED Tv, DCT 3400, Gateway + 2 portals,shaw PVR expander; Toshiba 42ZV655
trying my itouch now...seems to be progressing

post #34 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:19 PM
Member #1

I am having to re-download gigabytes of magazines and newspapers.

I have about 12 National Geographics at 100mb each to download and so on. I just hope I can get it all restored.

I'm terrified to do the iPad, iPhone and 3 iPod Touches.

post #35 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:22 PM

Location: Calgary: Samsung UND556300 LED Tv, DCT 3400, Gateway + 2 portals,shaw PVR expander; Toshiba 42ZV655
seems to take a long time, besides the install of the new OS it has to re-import your apps etc etc. Going on 30 min now...
post #36 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:24 PM
Veteran

It looks like I have to manually reinstall all apps and media as it wouldn't restore them with a sync and what's the point of doing a restore as I will then have to reupgrade to iOS 5.
post #37 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:36 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
I've been trying with my iPad2 since 5ish. Must be on my 6th attempt now. Started with error 5000, last time was 1638.

Hopefully this time will be good.

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #38 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:40 PM

kind of running now I have IOS5 up and answered a bunch of privacy questions. As with everyone else lost all data, apps (except a couple of recent installs), emails, contacts, movies, music etc trying to install again and re-download.

I am sure it will all get sorted out in the end but if we say the average iPhone owner earns just the minimum wage (say $10 per hour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ages_in_Canada and that is a massive underestimation ) you have to wonder what the real cost of peoples time was trying to get this up and running.

I guess this is all occurring outside of business hours for most of us unlike my work blackberry that has been down for most of the day.

/TVJunkie looks through the draw for his old android HTC - OK I have a few security exposures but at least I can send and receive emails
post #39 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I just cannot understand why a company as protective of the user experience as Apple was so ambititous to unleash so much on one day....the servers in Maiden NC must be melting.

In my case, my downloads today were
  1. 2x iPads at 700Mb = 1.4GB
  2. 2x iTunes updates at 80MB each = 0.16 Gb
  3. 2x OSX 10.7.2 @ 500MB = 1GB
  4. 2x Some "recovery" update for Mac @ 450MB = 0.9 GB
  5. LOTS of apps updates...probably another GB

So thats about 4.5GB....that might be more than average, but consider the tens of millions of users and thats gotta be a lot of petabytes. They easily could have staggered this!

FWIW, my install was clean.
post #40 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:54 PM
Member #1

Really hate the fact that Apple stuck their apps on first page and screwed up the formating of all my apps.

This really is an unpleasant experience. Certainly not a technological nightmare but this update has soured my impression of Apple. Confusing and incorrect dialog box and the lack of backups is ridiculous.

My attitude is an OS update should never delete data off of your device.

post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 10:00 PM

yeah a bit frustrating to get it all set up the way it was. But, 1 itouch, 1 ipad 2 and now finishing an iphone 4.

almost done.
post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 10:35 PM
AFF

Just asking, why do you guys rush out and update your iWhatevers? I would atleast wait a day or two to see if there are problems first. I'm a if it isn't broken type guy so why mess with it? Like why bother update an iTouch?
post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 10:48 PM

I doubt many people on here are the type to wait for updates. Most of us want to stay on the cutting edge, which is why we frequent consumer electronics forums.

I know I always want my OS/firmware updates as soon as possible, for any devices, and if I have to wait for auto-updates I'll often do manual updates instead.

Given your experiences so far though Hugh, I might wait a couple of days for the other devices.
post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 10:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFF View Post
Just asking, why do you guys rush out and update your iWhatevers? I would atleast wait a day or two to see if there are problems first. I'm a if it isn't broken type guy so why mess with it? Like why bother update an iTouch?
How boring is that. Some of us live for the geek cred points that come from stuff like this!

I haven't had issues with Apple updates in the past and iCloud has huge benefits to me as my wife as lost tons of photos twice due to problems with her iPhone. Having all of the photos sync to iCloud as soon as she is in a wifi zone is great and being able to communicate via iMessage should also be very beneficial and save money due to not texting each other any more.
post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 11:02 PM

Wow, I must be lucky. First try, and everything went smoothly upgrading my iPad 2. All data (music, movies) and apps were restored with not a single error message. It even remembered my wifi password.

Once it was all done, there were a few questions to answer on the iPad (location services, iCloud, Find my iPad). iCloud setup was very simple, just had to enter in my iTunes password. No music syncing though (I don't think they offer that service in Canada yet).

Wifi sync works quite well, only problem is that I need to have iTunes running all the time to use it. I'm going to look into a way to minimize iTunes to the system tray on system startup.

Page rendering in Safari seems to be a little snappier too.

Music player has been redesigned, not sure if I'm a fan of it yet.

I don't see an icon on the lockscreen for taking photos though... is this only available on the iPhone and iPod Touch?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in