iOS 5.0 now available for download - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 05:37 PM

Well, I launched iTunes and did a download only, no install, and it downloaded very quickly without any hiccups. It took only a few minutes on my Bell Fibe 25 connection.

I may do the actual update later tonight, unless I read of any show-stopper problems. I'll post if any problems occur with the update itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 05:47 PM
Member #1

Well, now I am getting angry.

Ipad2 would not update and directed me to Apple Support site which said update itunes first (had already done that), make sure iTunes has access to the net (unblocked itunes when it was installed) reboot your computer (did that) and try again (did that)

and still it failed.

My error message is -5000 which isn't listed on the Itunes support site.

At this point, I have idea what to do.

post #18 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 05:55 PM

I just tried my iPad 2 and it failed. I deleted an old backup and left only the most recent one. It then started the update process to the unit. Maybe try that...

PS I had to do this with my iPhone 4 as well.

post #19 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 06:07 PM
Veteran

For those that need the Mac updates multiple times (I need them x3) you should consider getting from direct download;

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosandsoftware

Can't help with the actual device updates though.
post #20 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 06:11 PM
Member #1

After the recent failure, it came back and asked me if I wanted to set it up as a new ipad or restore my backup. I chose restore so I am hoping that I haven't lost everything.

post #21 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 06:24 PM

I just retried to update my Ipod touch again (already downloaded iOS 5 to iTunes) ... failed again, but this time I didn't get the 3200 error... itunes now states that the update servers are busy.

Through many failed updates... I still have everything... the Ipod still has the previous version of iOS.... so nothing was lost or changed.
post #22 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 07:00 PM

I seem to have been lucky started downloading at 1.15pm and everything was installed and running within half an hour.

Some issues with calendar sync but managed to sort out issue. Camera button on lock screen does not appear. Have just downloaded the iPad guide to iOS 5 to ebooks - hopefully I can solve camera issue using this.
post #23 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 07:20 PM
Member #1

This really sucks. My iPad2 restored and on it was iOS 5 but all my magazines, newspapers and files are gone!

So I don't know what to do now?

post #24 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:38 PM

That's better... finally I was able to update my iPod touch to iOS 5... Now I'm updating my iPad2.... Guess what? It requires a whole new (and different) download! 707 MB.
post #25 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:40 PM

Wow I thought I was having trouble getting the dl to take. I managed it after about
3 hours and several 3200 errors.

Been playing with it for about an hour now ...some observations and questions:

-the best thing so far was recovering over 100 songs I lost in an HD event in 2010. Thank you iCloud

-flummoxed by how to register contacts so I can message them using Message

-the one feature I really wanted is the ability to link ms Outlook Tasks with Reminders on my iPad in the same way Outlook and iPad calendars link. Can't see how to do it - any ideas folks? This has been on many wish lists for a while now and,if not promised, is strongly implied by Apple's feature list for ios 5. Can't understand why this simple, in demand, feature seems to be so elusive

-hidden jewel (maybe) for me is Safari Reader. Neat IF I can sync my reading list to other platforms eg to a windows pc. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

-beyond the return of my long lost iTunes songs, iCloud isn't a big deal for me as far as music and video streaming goes. I have set up my own 'para cloud' using apps like Airvideo and Streamtome that can likely handle a wider range of file types. But I can see the appeal for people with smaller, iTunes-driven libraries.

Bottom line - jury's out until I understand some features more fully but I'm mildly underwhelmed that I can't answer my questions posed above just by using the upgrade itself. Eg there should be a clearly defined way to sync to Ms Outlook tasks, but I can' t find it
post #26 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:42 PM

apple tv 2 took 3 goes to update, downloaded ok but failed on the step 1 do not unplug, i rebooted router and it caused an error and was able to start again. all 3 times it had to download again joys of no hard disk and all hacks are gone. About apple tv says version 4.4 3140 but gee I can't see anything earth shattering new NHL and WSJ but thats about it until I get some stuff in the cloud and ipad 2 working

ipad 2 now on fifth try good grief
post #27 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
This really sucks. My iPad2 restored and on it was iOS 5 but all my magazines, newspapers and files are gone!

So I don't know what to do now?
swap your ipad with me cause at least you have apps all i have had for the past 3 hours is an ipad with a picture of an itunes logo and a USB cable. TV Junkie Looks over at his wifes iphone she begrudgingly handed over - should I :-)
post #28 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:01 PM

Ouch -I got forced into the Involuntary Restore too, but for some reason I didn't lose anything. FWIW I'm using an iPad 1. I feel your pain fellas.
post #29 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:29 PM

Update went pretty smoothly on my iPhone, iOS 5 installed, everything restored in about 30 minutes. The only glitch was being prompted to enter the SIM code password that I activated a few months ago.
post #30 of 125 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:29 PM
Veteran

I was having problems upgrading my iPad1 but I turned off the password and after that it worked - coincidence? I don't know.

Now the problem is that all apps and media are gone from the device with the exception of the Financial Times app - and that may be because it is not really an app but an HTML5 page.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in