iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-15, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper83 View Post
As mentioned in previous posts, I pre-ordered a black 16GB last Friday morning on Fido's website. I stopped by my local pickup location today to inquire about stock. They did not have any inventory for pre-orders, but they had plenty of stock if I wanted to buy one and then cancel my pre-order. WHAT?! How does that make any sense whatsoever?? I immediately became agitated. The staff member then asked me to confirm a PIN which I haven't needed in 7+ years of being a Fido customer and after three attempts I was locked out. He told me I had to call Fido directly to reset my PIN. After spending some time on hold waiting to speak with a CSR, I finally got my PIN issue resolved and vented my frustration about the redundant pre-order system. I couldn't believe that people could walk in off the street and buy a phone yet the people who woke up early on pre-order day would have to wait to receive theirs. How does that make any sense?

The bottom line is I got a phone and love it :-) It's 1000x better than my crappy 3G.
You're not the only person to think the Fido/Rogers 'pre-order' was executed poorly. The Rogers Redboard is full of people absolutely furious that they woke up early to pre-order and are still waiting for their phones to ship, while there is stock in the stores for walk-ins. The Rogers moderator even tried to say it wasn't a pre-order but a reservation, when the website clearly says in huge letters 'pre-order'. Talk about misleading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-15, 10:05 AM

well launch day came and went and I am still without a phone. The whole pre order thing is messed up. I worked from home on friday so I could be there when the UPS guy turned up and now I am told monday it will be delivered. the phone managed to travel around the world in 24 hrs and will sit in the UPS branch up the road for 3 days and when the UPS guy comes on Monday I won't be home to receive it as I have to go to work.

Bottom line this is the first time I pre-ordered instead of lining up and I will never do it again. Lesson learned is if you want something on launch day get up an hour early (instead of 4 hours early to order on the internet) and then go get in line at a store. I also like the buzz you get when you stand in line and the first person comes out with their new gadget and shows it off to all the other people waiting. The only time I have ever been disapointed with this experience was when the iphone 3G came out and apple / rogers could not activate the phones as the network was complexly over loaded and we had to spend the entire day waiting for them to fix it.
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-15, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Misleading doesn't even begin to describe it! I called Fido to cancel my pre-order after being instructed by two CSR's yesterday, only to be told I am unable to cancel because my status is now "In Progress". I could've screamed, but chose to laugh instead.

"In Limbo" is more like it!

Can't decide whether to wait until the phone ships to the store and try to get my $40 back there, or call the retentions department and give them a piece of my mind. Fido is the only phone carrier I've been with (7+ years) and Fido has had 4 iPhone launches to get this right and they've failed every single time (though they're not alone in this, seems to be widespread). I just wish they could get their story straight so that longtime, loyal customers aren't left in the dark.

Oh, and the phone still rocks my world :-)

Anybody know where to get Power Support screen film protectors other than online?

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700

post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 08:13 PM

Walked into a local Bell store Friday at lunch - no line up....in fact quiet.

Walked out with a new 16 Gig Black 4 S and was back in the office within an hour.

You guys with Rogers/Fido seem to have the same problem ever year....

Cheers
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 11:54 AM
Veteran

I got two iPhone 4S (for my kids, lucky lads) on Friday, day of the launch. I'm with Rogers. Both are 16 GB, one white, one black.

Just walked in a Rogers store 1km from my office at noon during my lunch hour and walked out 15 mins later with the new phones.

First impressions: GREAT phone, SIRI is pretty cool although not perfect as expected (don't know if i'll see a voice recognition technology that is 100% reliable before I die). Snappy phone very responsive, great camera.

I don't think I would upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4S, but if you own a 3G or 3GS you won't be disappointed.

iOS 5 is cool. Upgrade mine and my wife's iPhone 4 to the new OS and moved everyone to "THE CLOUD". I especially the Find my friends app, which allows you to locate one another. My kids say stalk but I don't care
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-26, 07:45 PM

Did anyone break their contract a few months early and not got charged? They've told me you can upgrade within 6 months of the end of your contract with no penalty but I've got till Jan 15 to see that date.
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Did anyone break their contract a few months early and not got charged? They've told me you can upgrade within 6 months of the end of your contract with no penalty but I've got till Jan 15 to see that date.
That's pretty much a standard. I'm entitled to a hardware upgrade within six months of my contract expiry at which time I can get new hardware and resign (usually 3 year) contract.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 11:42 PM

Hey Guys how do I setup a Shaw account on my iphone email.

I added my shaw email address and password but then it wants me to select IMAP or POP. Followed by a Host Name, User Name for incoming Mail Server. Also a Host name for Outgoing Mail Server not sure what im supposed to fill in there.
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-01, 11:50 PM

Assuming you have your Shaw email account set up on your computer you could look at the settings there and just use the same ones on the iPhone.

The other place to look would be the documentation you got when you subscribed to Shaw's Internet service. Whatever instructions they gave you to use on the computer will also work on the iPhone.

And last but not least check Shaw's web site. The help files should have the information required to set up email on a computer. Use those, they are the same as what would be used on the iPhone.
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 09:32 AM
Veteran

After you setup your email from the link that Coop posted, you will have to configure your Shaw email account for Mobile Access. You can do this by logging into the Webmail Beta site.
https://wmbeta.shaw.ca/
Once you are here, click on preferences, then click on the Mobile Access tab. Click on Enable and enter in your password.

If you don't do the above steps, then you will received email be you will be unable to send email.
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 12:38 PM

thanks all three for the help greatly appreciated
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 12:39 PM

Anyone buying this phone buy 32 GB im new to smartphones and didnt realize how little 16 G was once you started adding app's and stuff!! Should of spent a little more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in