iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 05:47 PM
Veteran

found some interesting information on Siri. I guess it used to be a project for the military.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...-darpa-iphone/

Quote:
Siri — the voice-activated data assistant available on Apple’s iPhone upgrade — is a veteran. Nearly 10 years ago, Darpa funded a project known as PAL, for Personalized Assistant that Learns. It was an adaptive AI program for both data retrieval and data synthesis. (So not entirely like search, but not dissimilar, either.) If you told PAL what information you needed, and it observed what you did with that information, it would figure out a more efficient path to acquiring and sorting relevant information the next time around.
Quote:
By 2008 — with the PAL project not bearing fruit — SRI didn’t want to miss out on the commercial opportunities of iPhone apps. So it spun off a company called Siri Incorporated to develop what became the first iteration of the Siri app — a so-called “do engine” that weaved user preferences with existing web functions to, say, let you know what time the nearest Iron Man showing started. (It wasn’t voice-activated.) Apple thought the Siri’s tech showed promise, so it paid a rumored $150 to $200 million for the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 06:10 PM
Veteran

With the fact some are disappointed in this, I wonder if releasing the iPhone 4S back in June would have had the same reaction. I personally think it would have had some effect, since Apple did pretty much the same thing with the 3GS two years ago.

I do blame the blogosphere partly for the dismal reaction to the 4GS, since a lot of rumors turned out to be false. People went in hoping to see a larger screen, a new design, etc and when Apple didn't present them, they were disappointed.
post #63 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 06:33 PM

I think it would have been much less pronounced. Three months ago a dual core processor (any dual core) would have been far more cutting edge. Also, the desire for LTE would have been much lower as most providers didn't even have LTE back then.

It still would be disappointing that it wasn't a revolutionary new design, but it would have at least been a refresh to cutting edge technology. Now, it's still good hardware, and by no means obsolete, but there are already other devices on the market that better it.

Three months ago I think people would have been happy to see a refresh that brought HSPA+, a dual core processor, a better camera, and a Sprint model. By delaying the release though, I think they created an expectation that they must be working on something bigger. The fact that they weren't was bound to result in disappointment.

I actually think it would have served them well to leak that it was just going to be a refresh, rather than a redesign. It would have tempered expectations at least.

post #64 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 07:21 PM
Veteran

According to Fido (not sure about other carriers), pre-orders will start on Friday via the Fido website. I thought pre-orders might only apply to those purchases made directly via Apple either online or in-store.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #65 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 09:08 PM
Veteran

I think the delay did increase my expectations/hope of more in this version of the iPhone. I had initially anticipated a 4s type phone would be released based on the business success of the 3GS - improved margins due to the minimal changes.

The delay gave me hope that some of these next gen items (LTE, NFC) would be incorporated. Apple has had a good track record with the iPhone of blowing away the competition when they launch a new phone. This time, the competition has really stepped up and there are already other phones available on the market that are arguably better (from a hardware point of view certainly).

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #66 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 11:59 PM

Roam on CDMA in Canada

Hey does anybody know if any carriers in Canada will allow CDMA roaming in Canada. I'm thinking of places that aren't currently served by HSPA networks, but are served by CDMA networks.
post #67 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor256 View Post
Hey does anybody know if any carriers in Canada will allow CDMA roaming in Canada. I'm thinking of places that aren't currently served by HSPA networks, but are served by CDMA networks.
Interesting question. Certainly a valid one in Canada, but my gut tells me that if you've got a MicroSIM card in your iPhone 4S, it probably won't fallback to a CDMA network.
post #68 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 11:09 AM

Yeah I can't see Bell and Telus allowing fall back to their CDMA. Move on.
post #69 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 03:42 AM

cant pre order

I woke up at 2:30am to order an iphone 4s from apple (goes on sale at 3am EDT) but apple site just says we will be back soon ummm Bell allows you to pre order on a plan but I a hate contracts and being locked into a provider.

edit store came up at 3:51 am finally allowed me to order.
post #70 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Asked a Fido live chat agent yesterday what time the preorder would start today and they didn't have that info. At 10:30pm last night I noticed a "Phone reservation" button on my account page, but there were no phones listed yet. Successfully preordered a 16GB black 4S at 6:00am (PST) and I'm 1450 in line

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #71 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 09:55 PM
Wyl

I thought I needed a biggest screen. But it's funny, once you start using a tablet, I use the iPad. You start using your phone as more of a phone. I mean if i am to sending an email and I have my iPad, and iPhone in front of me, i am picking up me iPad. Watching a movie, iPad, playing a game iPad. When you own a Tablet and Phone, the phone becomes a phone again, and you don't need the larger screen.

And since Siri will be reading me my tweets, text messages and other alerts, I don't even need to look at my phone at all now!
post #72 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 09:58 PM
Veteran

I caved and got in-line with a reservation at Rogers. I am #900.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #73 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-10, 04:45 PM

post #74 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-10, 10:17 PM

ugh, I'm so torn. I have a 3GS so I can upgrade, but I don't want to be stuck in the "S" loop forever! I could hold off for the 5, but when might that be announced? Damn you Apple!

Toshiba 46H83, Denon AVR-1804, Denon 2800 DVD, SA 8000HD, Xbox, Mission speakers, Harmony 659
post #75 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 09:05 AM
Veteran

I have a 3GS (two, actually), and Roger's web site is charing me $419 plus $75 for "early upgrade fee" plus another $35 for "Hardware Upgrade Administration Fee" for a 4S 64Gb unit. The 16Gb model is $209 + $75 + $35.

I got the 3GS when it first came out, and am on a 3 year plan.

Those rates seem a little high....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in