iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
If Apple really has topped out with what it can do with your phone, then the playing field really will level out.
I really don't think Apple is anywhere close to "topping out" with the iPhone, as you can clearly see with the upgrades to the 4S. But as Hugh and other have pointed out, what else could they have done, short of a total redesign of the outside of the phone? The current exterior design still looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

asif9t9, that is where I have been going.

I don't think windows is all that different from Mac. In another year or two, I think Android and iOS (and probably WP7 and maybe RIM's QNX) will be pretty much functionally equivalent but each with its own aesthetic.

This must scare smartphone manufacturers because then the only differentiator will be price and it becomes a race to the bottom.

I love my iPhone 3GS and would prefer to get an iPhone 4S but I will give it up if I can buy an Android phone from a new carrier and save $25 or $30 per month.

post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:50 PM
Veteran

So nobody can answer my earlier question regarding Fido's network speed? Their website is out of date.

The more I think about it, the more I'm happy with the changes/lack of changes. On the plus side, most/all iPhone 4 accessories will work with the 4S.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700

post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 02:20 PM

Fido has the same speeds as Rogers, at least as high as 21 Mbps.

There are a few ways Apple could have upgraded the iPhone more significantly:

1. A larger screen. I'm by no means a monster screen person, but I think 4-4.3 inch screens are about ideal for a smartphone, if they're edge to edge.

2. LTE or at least 21 or 42 Mbps. The enhanced functionality does make a real world difference, where networks support it.

3. An NFC chip. This might be the most egregious missing element, IMO, as it's only a tiny chip they could have added late in designs, even if they don't have any functionality ready for it yet.

4. Thinner and lighter. Not essential, by any means, but Apple made a pretty big deal about how the iPhone 4 was the "thinnest smartphone ever" and it's not anymore.

5. Inductive charging. This is cool, but also useful.

Both 21 Mbps and NFC (and maybe even inductive charging) could have been done without changing the design.

I think the problem is that when Apple decided to wait a little longer, everyone assumed they needed time because they were working on something big. If they had presented us with the 4s in July, I don't think people would have been nearly as disappointed. By waiting until October, they blew expectations up much higher.
post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 02:33 PM

iPhone 4S VS the smartphone elite

Based on this comparison, the iphone 4s is still not the best choice for most people. What's up with using the CDMA stil in this day and age?

Quote:
Now that we know how the iPhone 4S stacks up against the iPhone 4, let's take a look at how Apple's latest smartphone compares to its mightiest competitors on the other major platforms -- Android and Windows Phone.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/i...onic-and-tita/
post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the next release following iPhone 4S (5?) is well under a year away.

In my opinion, the 4S is mainly a stop-gap measure to keep up with Android until the next "revolutionary" device can come out.

Keep in mind, most US customers that bought the 4 when it initially came out will likely be reaching the end of their 2 year contracts next June-July. At that point, the 4S will be be approaching 9 months old and won't be as compelling a story to upgrade to. I'd expect to see Apple have the next phone ready around that same time to keep people from considering other alternatives.
post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lima20 View Post
What's up with using the CDMA stil in this day and age?
If you want a phone on Verizon or Sprint, two of the three biggest carriers in the US, it has to be CDMA.
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think the problem is that when Apple decided to wait a little longer, everyone assumed they needed time because they were working on something big. If they had presented us with the 4s in July, I don't think people would have been nearly as disappointed. By waiting until October, they blew expectations up much higher.
While this is probably true, you have to think that Apple had a bit of a fiasco of a launch on its hands last summer with the release of the iPhone 4. It launched in very few countries and even where it did get released, it took several months to build up stock. I had to line up at an Apple store for the better part of a full day late September last year to finally get one.

I would imagine they waited for three reasons.

1. To build up stock on the 4S so it would be more widely available at launch time.
2. To make it coincide with the release of iOS 5 because some of the iPhone 4S features depend on it.
3. To break with their product launch cycle, so the competition doesn't know precisely when the next new iPhone will be announced.

I would not be surprised to see an iPhone 5 announcement in the next 8-9 months. There are obviously prototypes of it floating around at Apple headquarters. However, the fact that they did not release it could be due to external factors.

For example, what if they were anticipating that certain components would drop in price since they started designing it but that has not occurred. Or that manufacturing process on the new body of the phone would get streamlined and it hasn't?

They must have known that the tech world would be underwhelmed by this annoucement, but it's not like they're going to tell us what really happened...
post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 04:26 PM
Veteran

I didn't know this, but Siri used to be an app for the iPhone. Apple purchased them in spring of 2010. Apparently people had this app on their iPhone's already, but now will lose it once the iPhone 4S comes out. If it is not already gone already.
post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Regarding Siri: when it was "just an app", was it available in Canada, and did it work on all the current iPhone models of the time?
post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 04:52 PM
Veteran

I heard it was only available on the US store, but I don't know much more than that.
post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 04:58 PM

Siri is officially supported in US (English), UK (English), Australia (English), France (French) & Germany (German) as far as I know.
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 05:19 PM

From what I've seen, the 4S is not revolutionary, or next generation. It has some cool upgrades and improvements, but it's basically the same phone as the 4.

But why is anyone surprised here or in the blogosphere?

Apple is, amongst other things, an amazing marketing company.

What other tech company can command such attention twice a year over new releases?

They know that they can release a new version of a product every 12 months or so (or less with some product lines)without game changing upgrades, and it will still create huge demand and sales.

It's quite brilliant.
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 05:25 PM
Veteran

That's a bit unfair. Apple sometimes does hit it out of the park from a technology perspective, just not every time.
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 05:30 PM

Ofcourse they do. They've done an amazing job on a lot of their products.

But they are also adept and creating demand for their products.

People just want to be early adopters of Apple products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in