iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

As I noted earlier, I see this as evolutionary, faster processor, better graphics, better battery life, new OS with lots of new features than revolutionary.

In reading the hyped up blogosphere, the only concrete thing it mentioned was faster processor, 8 megapixel camera and new iOS (whose details we knew lots about)

So in hindsight, 4S delivered everything the blogosphere predicted and the 4S now does pretty much anything an advanced smartphone is expected to do.

I understand the lack of LTE and NFC but I simply think that is something that Apple felt wasn't worth the cost at this point.

So I'm curious, excluding LTE and NFC, why the disappointment? What were you expecting that makes this a big downer?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't for the life of me figure out what Apple could have done (short of announcing that the phone could cure cancer) that would have made this a great unveiling??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 09:03 AM

I am sort of impressed

I think I like the "new" phone. It's got a better camera, better processor and better battery life than it's iPhone 4 cousin. I think this might be the phone that gets me to abandon my pay and talk. I'm neither an apple fanboy or a "droidroid" but I think this should keep apple on top for a while yet...
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Google could do it, after having bought Motorola's phone/tablet/stb division, but we'll see...
You're correct but I think there was some indication that Google promised its hardware partners it would keep Motorola's hardware division at arm's length so as not to give it any advantages that the other partners would not also be subject to.

post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 10:07 AM

According to the web site The Loop Apple confirmed that the Siri technology will work in Canada despite not being mentioned on the Apple Canada web site, at least in English, and this may be the reason why it is not on the Apple Canada site. It may not qualify as being localized for Canada as it may not support the 'Quebecois' french spoken in Canada and therefore Apple Canada could not officially say that it is supported in Canada.
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Since Siri is just software, I would have been surprised if it wouldn't be available in all markets on launch date.
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 10:26 AM
Veteran

I wouldn't. Proper localization takes *time*, especially with voice recognition. Plus Siri only supports English, French, and German right now.
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
I wouldn't. Proper localization takes *time*, especially with voice recognition. Plus Siri only supports English, French, and German right now.
That's correct. People were actually surprised it didn't support Spanish as the USA has a very sizeable spanish speaking population. About 35 million people in the US claim Spanish as their primary language (Wikipedia).
post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 11:12 AM

I agree its is an improvement in almost every realistic way but I guess some people just want it to look different than the iphone 4? It might have been a good marketing move because if the new OS will work on all the existing hardware there is less motivation to upgrade the phone if it looks the same for the got to have the latest and greatest crowd.
post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 11:24 AM

The disappointment comes from the fact that it's basically just the same phone as last year, but with a bit more whiz bang

ie, if you already have a 4, no driving reason to get a 4s

it'll still be a really nice unit for anyone moving from a dumb phone, or an older ios/android phone
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 11:45 AM

Apple was never really worried about having the latest technology (spec-wise), it's the same situation with their line-up of Macs. You're always going to be able to get a higher spec'd PC for less than the cost of a Mac, just like you can get many high end android phones that out-spec the iPhone 4/4S for less cost. Apple only puts what they think is necessary in their phones from both a cost and practicality standpoint. Is it really necessary to have a phone that supports 21Mbps data speeds when you likely won't get over 7.2Mbps anyway? Also there's a certain point where you have to say "battery life is more important than the fastest processor and network card".

I've heard the Galaxy SII LTE (which apparently will be Rogers exclusive, at least for a while) will support 100Mbps downlink speeds. Obviously you won't get anywhere near that, 1/6 if lucky, it's still amazing to look at where we've gone in ten years.

I'm a PC guy myself...I absolutely loathe Apple computers, but I do use both an iPhone and a Blackberry and I love the iPhone. The fact that I've invested about $1000 in iTunes music, movies and apps keeps me tied down though to exclusively using on iPhone. I would love to try an Android out for a year...if only ALL of the iTunes music could be DRM free than I would. So really the iPhone 4S is only a necessary upgrade for those who are most interested in multimedia (1080p recording and better games), or those who are still using a 3G/3GS. The 1080p recording with video stabilization is very nice.
post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 11:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The disappointment comes from the fact that it's basically just the same phone as last year, but with a bit more whiz bang

ie, if you already have a 4, no driving reason to get a 4s
I guess to a certain degree Apple is getting a taste of its own medicine here...

Does anyone care about what's going on INSIDE the actual unit? The iPhone does have that sex appeal to it. It's the "trophy wife" of gadgets and now that everyone and their brother owns one, those who were hoping to one up their friends and co-workers by buying the newest shiny toy are disappointed because it doesn't look different.

If you actually want to get things done with your iPhone, there are plenty of reasons to upgrade from a 4 to a 4s, let alone if you own a 3G or a 3GS. The iPhone 4S stands up to the best smartphones currently on the market quite well.

And the combination of this new iPhone with iOS 5 and all the functionalities it brings to the table make it a very interesting value proposition for consumers. Sure, Apple stock is down on this, look at it as a "buy" opportunity. They will ship millions upon millions of them.

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with the way the phone looks. I still remember Steve Jobs' comment about it feeling like a beautiful, Leica camera. That's exactly what they were going after and to this day, I often think about this when handling this unbelievable piece of technology that is the iPhone 4.
post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just can't for the life of me figure out what Apple could have done (short of announcing that the phone could cure cancer) that would have made this a great unveiling??
1. Larger screen - perhaps with a minimal border/bezel "edge-to-edge" screen

2. Improving their navigation so that it rivals (or exceeds) the capabilities of Android. Perhaps crowd-sourcing traffic flow rate information from other iPhone users (since it can calculate the speed cars are moving).

3. Improve their mobile Safari browser (I could go into details here, but I won't for now, just to say that Chrome on Honeycomb or IE10 on Win8 have lots of good interface ideas to steal)

4. Inductive charging (it is/was really cool on the Pre)

5. Better app switching/multitasking interface
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:07 PM
Veteran

audacity, most of the item on your list are software based. I'm sure they are coming over the next while.

For the time being, the hardware is seeing a significant improvement and iOS 5 is bringing a number of interesting improvements on the software side. Is it the last iteration of the OS? I don't think any OS will ever stop evolving...
post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

audacity, I'm skeptical. Even if Apple added a few things like that, I'm certain the blogosphere would still have blown cold on it.

post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Perhaps people shouldn't be disappointed in this latest iPhone, but rather Apple should be worried. Android devices know what they're competing with for the next year or so and it isn't much to catch up to.

If Apple really has topped out with what it can do with your phone, then the playing field really will level out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in