iPhone 4S Discussion thread (On Sale October 14th) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 04:15 PM

New Canadian pricing for unlocked iPhones.

iPhone 4s, 16 GB - $649.00 ($10.00 reduction from previous 16 GB model)
iPhone 4s, 32 GB - unknown price
iPhone 4s, 64 GB (new capacity) - unknown price

iPhone 4, 8 GB - $549.00 ($110.00 reduction from previous 16 GB model)

iPhone 3Gs, 8 GB - $375.00 ($174.00 reduction from previous price)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 04:28 PM

I think Siri is not for Canada yet. There's a video about it on the USA Apple site, but not Apple Canada.
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 04:40 PM

I had kind of hoped, given the extra few months they took over the normal iPhone announcement date, that they were bringing something a little more impressive, and I don't think I'm the only one. There's nothing wrong with the 4s, but it certainly doesn't change everything, again.

The software stuff is cool, but there isn't much that's really new, and though they might do it better than anyone else, I didn't see anything that is completely new to smartphones. Notification changes, iCloud, iMessage, and the new friend locator are all features that are available on other platforms already. Even Siri seems to me like an enhanced Google Voice Search.

As for hardware, the processor is definitely a nice boost, but we didn't see any bigger/higher resolution screens or LTE connections, which is a little disappointing. The hybrid GSM/CDMA is cool, but not really relevant in Canada, as I doubt Bell/Telus or any of the regionals will actually activate it on the CDMA networks. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the 4s hardware, and I'm sure it will perform to Apple's usual level of excellence, but this may be the first iPhone release where the hardware does not impress me.

I don't know what Apple should do that hasn't been done yet, but hasn't their calling card for the last decade been that they innovate in ways we haven't even thought of yet?

post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podgirl View Post
I think Siri is not for Canada yet. There's a video about it on the USA Apple site, but not Apple Canada.
This is the fine print from the US page about Siri.

Quote:
Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
There are going to be features that won't work outside the US until they are expanded to other areas, namely the directions feature that integrates with maps to name one. There is no reason other features that merely interact with the music player, calendar and contacts, to name a few, shouldn't work everywhere. Remember that Siri is voice control of the device taken to a new level and since much of that voice control interacts with features/apps directly on the phone they should still work. It's the features that require other resources, like a location on a map, that may not be immediately available.

I guess we won't know for sure until the iPhone 4S is released here.
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 04:56 PM
Veteran

As a 3G owner, I will be upgrading to the new 4S on launch date. I can't help but feel slightly disappointed, but it's such a huge upgrade from the current hunk of junk that is the 3G that I can't wait to have a phone that actually works again. Or, at least until it becomes obsolete in two years and I'm stuck in a contract for one more year

I read an article saying pre-orders begin Friday - is that true for Cdn carriers or just directly through Apple?

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper83 View Post
I read an article saying pre-orders begin Friday - is that true for Cdn carriers or just directly through Apple?
I read an aricle that Rogers/Bell/Telus will have it on October 14th. Not sure about pre-orders.
post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 05:22 PM

@TorontoColin

The expectations for the new iPhone are completely a manifestation of all the false rumours that were spread online. This is a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4 which, I might add, was outselling all other smartphone models despite being over a year old, the internals are completely new! For iPhone 3G and 3GS users waiting to upgrade this is huge! To be honest, had Apple named this iPhone 5 instead of iPhone 4S it would have been less controversial.

Apple doesn't need to, and certainly can't, revolutionize the industry with every model iteration it releases. The iPhone 4's retina display is still unmatched by the competition, the integration between hardware and software will never be matched. The addition of Siri and what it can usher in in the future is what is revolutionary. Remember, Apple is more about the software/hardware integration than the hardware specs alone.

As for Siri, in some respects it is about introducing feature parity with Google Voice Search but I guess the real test will be in how well each implementation works. Plus, I think Siri goes beyond what Voice Search does but we'll have to wait for the release to see if that's correct or not.
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
The expectations for the new iPhone are completely a manifestation of all the false rumours that were spread online.
I read a really good article on, can't remember where, saying basically the same thing. That the media and tech junckies hyped up the iPhone 5.0 debut so much, that they where all dissapointed with the release of the 4s and not the 5.0 I admit that i was also caught up in the hype and excitement of all of this and I was a little dissapointed at the announcement. But after looking at the 4S again. I actually like it and I might upgrade my 4.
post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 06:09 PM

Quote:
The expectations for the new iPhone are completely a manifestation of all the false rumours that were spread online.
I agree, I just think Apple should have had this out in July before dual-core smartphones became so commonplace. This feels more like they're catching up to the competition, which is not Apple's usual place.

Quote:
the integration between hardware and software will never be matched.
I'd be very careful about saying never. No company remains the best forever. I do think they are clearly the best right ow though.

Quote:
Plus, I think Siri goes beyond what Voice Search does but we'll have to wait for the release to see if that's correct or not.
It's certainly a much more refined system, but that's why I said enhanced. I suspect the other additions will also be more refined than their current iterations on other platforms, but the competition won't sit still either.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with the 4s or the new iOS features. They're certainly great for anyone who is already using an iPhone, and I have no doubt the 4s is a solid device. It may not be my platform of choice, but I have a lot of respect for the iPhone/iOS. I just don't see anything that would be a real draw for someone who wasn't already sold on the platform, and it may be the first iPhone launch where that's the case.
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Is Siri something people will make use of? I sometimes use the voice commands of my Android phone, but most of the time I'm not in a quiet place. (What I do make use of in sort of the same way is Google Gestures, where I can write out whatever app I want to access).
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 06:30 PM

I watched the live blogging for 45 Minutes so excited and ready to upgrade and then they had the announcement. I was sure that was going to be 1 of 2 new phones and I continued to wait for the big iPhone press release. I am still waiting!

Will I upgrade that depends will we be able to take advantage of the 14.4 HDSPA in Canada. How does this differ from 4G / LTE
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 06:50 PM

@TorontoColin

I'm sure the hardware was ready back in July but the software most certainly was not. Remember Apple is a software and hardware company and they have two completely different OSs to develop and many hardware iterations both mobile and on the desktop to design and deliver. Also, they do all their own engineering, nothing gets contracted out except manufacturing. These things take time and most importantly talent.

As for hardware/software integration, until another company comes along and develops their own hardware and software together they will never be able to achieve the integration Apple does.

RIM should be able to on the smartphone with QNX if they don't fumble it. Unfortunately, as Steve Jobs said they are now working in the 'uncomfortable' area of having to build an OS and hardware and that includes creating a developer environment and an ecosystem. Something RIM hasn't had to do at this level before. We've already seen how they are stumbling with the Playbook and that hardware was designed and built for them by a contract manufacturer, Quanta, so it's a perfect example of how much work they still need to do to get to the level of integration that Apple is at.

People choose their platforms for various reasons. Me, I'm heavily invested in the Apple platform so an iPhone was a natural for me. If I relied on Google's tools, Gmail, Gtalk, calendar and contacts then I would probably have evaluated the Android ecosystem before choosing. Then again there are people who jump from platform to platform like they change socks. They get bored with one platform and move to another just so they can experience something different. On smartphones it's easy even if they have an investment in apps since the apps are so cheap. Not so easy when you have hundreds or even thousands invested in desktop apps where moving from one platform to the other takes more consideration and commitment.
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 08:04 PM
Veteran

Does anyone know what the max speed Fido is capable of? Will this new iPhone be wasted on a network not capable of 14.4 Mbps?

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 08:54 PM

Quote:
As for hardware/software integration, until another company comes along and develops their own hardware and software together they will never be able to achieve the integration Apple does.
Google could do it, after having bought Motorola's phone/tablet/stb division, but we'll see...
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 09:46 PM
Veteran

I am on a 3G and have been waiting for this announcement to upgrade my phone. However, i am disappointed at the lack of LTE and NFC. While these technologies are in their infancy now they probably won't be in another few years... and I won't be able to take advantage as I'll still have time left on the 3 year contract.

I have started looking at android devices but the more I look the more I realize I have locked myself in the iPhone camp pretty tightly. I have docks, printers, speakers etc... all designed for iPods and iPhones. Maybe Siri will be enough to keep me happy with iOs.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in