Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available)

Amazon.com Inc, the world’s largest online retailer, unveiled its Kindle Fire tablet computer, taking aim at Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s bestselling iPad with a device that’s smaller and less than half the price.

The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199, compared with $499 for Apple’s cheapest iPad, Amazon executives said. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Google Inc.’s Android software, the Seattle-based company said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:20 AM

This doesn't look like an iPad competitor. It's not as 'general purpose.' It's more an evolution of the Kindle. It's addressing the short-comings of the Kindle compared to the Nook more than the iPad. Just look at the specs compared to the iPad and Nook.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/28/a...color-numbers/
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Another iPad competitor or killer? Yawn. They will be priced at $99 within 4 months as they try and sell them off.

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Not sure whey everyone calls it an iPad competitor. To me its a Nook competitor and an Android competitor competing with Galaxy Tab, Xoom, Sony tablet, Acer, Asus and so on. It's low price will likely drive down the price of other Android tablets but I can't see it having a big effect on the iPad.

post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Well, if you accept the fact that its definitely not a competitor in the tablet space and consider its merits as a souped-up ereader, its not a bad offering.

I think, though, that those wanting an ereader would probably go for one of the other two models quietly announced today featuring 3G ability, and free 3G at that.

BTW, release date in Nov 15 and is available in the US only. My prediction is that the Fire never does launch internationally, but that Amazon will take its lessons learned and have a real tablet competitor for the global market before this time next year. Like everyone else, they were caught with their pants down and need more time to commercialize a real contender.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Not sure whey everyone calls it an iPad competitor. To me its a Nook competitor and an Android competitor competing with Galaxy Tab, Xoom, Sony tablet, Acer, Asus and so on. It's low price will likely drive down the price of other Android tablets but I can't see it having a big effect on the iPad.
I agree that it is a Nook competitor, not an iPad competitor. But come on, Hugh, are you trying to start a flame war here by suggesting that none of the Android tabs are iPad competitors?
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:13 PM

@99semaj. I think much of what you say is correct.

This seems like a device that is really geared towards media consumption even though it will run Android apps. I think both Android tablets and iPads, as well as Playbooks, are more app centric. Let me put it this way, I don't think a hospital looking for tablets to hand out to doctors to do their rounds with are going to consider an Amazon Fire over any of the other tablets I mentioned.

Also, this does not offer the 'Android' experience as envisioned by Google. Google is no where to be found on this device. No Gmail (just a standard email client), no Google calendar (no pre-installed calendar from what I understand), no Google maps (doesn't even have a GPS), etc. This may turn some people off.

Also, no cameras. I think cameras, especially front facing ones, on tablet devices will become more important as time goes on.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

rsambuca, No I am not trying to start anything.

Of course Android tablets are competitors to iPad but from a consumer perspective the closest competitor to any particular Android tablet is another Android tablet.

Imagine a Best Buy store.

Person says I want a tablet. Salesperson will likely say "Apple, Android or Blackberry?"

If customer says Android, then the salesperson will show them the Xoom, Fire Tablet, Galaxy Tab and so on.

or imagine a customer saying "I want a book reader"

Likely salesperson will suggest a Nook, Kobo, Kindle, Maybe a fire tablet but likely not an iPad, galaxy tab or xoom.

The tablet marketplace is not a monolith. It's going to segment.

I'm tempted to call the Fire Tablet an enhanced colour ebook reader rather than a tablet.

post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:14 PM
Veteran

I think this could be an Ipad competitor. I think a lot of people who buy Ipads don't even need a tablet. It just looks cool. This is a cheaper option with a cohesive "OS".

On the other hand, I assume the homebrew community are salivating at the chance to pickup $199 pieces of hardware so they can stick regular Android on it.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:23 PM
Veteran

I really don't see this as having any effect at all on iPad's sales. I would look at getting this for my kids though. Cheaper then the iPad, so I will not be as worried with them using it. I agree with other posters, this is more of a competitor to the Nook.
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
If customer says Android, then the salesperson will show them the Xoom, Fire Tablet, Galaxy Tab and so on.
Probably not the Fire since Amazon will most likely sell it exclusively on their on-line store. Dumping the retailers and distributors entirely probably helped in reducing the price to a competitive level.
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:28 PM

Well, I couldn't resist, so I placed my pre-order pending hands-on reviews. For me, this is purely a simple, easy way to consume Amazon content, of which I acquire more of everyday. Being an Amazon prime member makes it especially attractive.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Amazon Kindles are sold in stores as well as online. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Fire sold in Canada at Staples or BB alongside the Kindle now.

post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:52 PM
Digital Sage

How did you order it?

Quote:
Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi is not currently available to ship to the selected non-US address. To shop for Kindles available to ship to you, please visit the non-US Kindle product page.
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
How did you order it?
Shipped to my PO Box in the US.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in