Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-10-08, 07:48 PM

I think the Fire tablet is the answer to the Nook and it is a good one. Nice price, but the lack of an SD card slot would be a deal breaker for me.

Not an iPad killer but an inexpensive alternative for people who want to try a tablet at a budget price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-10-08, 11:55 PM
Veteran

The Fire is more often compared to the iPod Touch than the iPad...it's really just a Touch with a bigger screen but no camera.

I think Amazon will take a run at tablets next year, but the Fire is really just them dipping their toes in the water.

post #79 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-13, 02:24 PM
Digital Sage

Kindle Fire Newsstand to Offer Over 400 Full-Color Magazines and Newspapers

Press release:

Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 11, 2011-- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) today announced that the Kindle Fire Newsstand will offer over 400 full-color magazines and newspapers. Kindle Fire customers who subscribe before March 1, 2012 will also receive an exclusive free three-month trial of 17 Condé Nast magazines, including Vanity Fair, GQ, WIRED and Glamour. Kindle Fire, which ships next week, is a new class of Kindle that brings the same ease-of-use and deep integration of content that helped Kindle re-invent reading to magazines, movies, TV shows, music, apps, games, books and more. Magazines and newspapers look beautiful on Kindle Fire's 7" vibrant multi-touch color touch-screen that delivers 1024 X 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi and 16 million colors in high resolution. Kindle Fire Newsstand customers will be able to enjoy their favorite magazines in rich, glossy, full-color from publishers such as Condé Nast, Meredith, and Hearst. Interactive editions with built-in video and audio are also available for many magazines such as Better Homes & Gardens, Allure and Self.

"We think Kindle Fire customers will love the beautiful, intuitive reading experience we've built for their favorite magazines such as Us Weekly, The New Yorker, and Reader's Digest," said Russ Grandinetti, Vice President, Kindle Content. "The response from publishers has been overwhelmingly positive and they are excited to make their magazines and newspapers available on Kindle Fire, and we're adding new titles all the time."

"We're excited to work with Amazon to give Kindle Fire owners access to our magazines digitally," said John Loughlin, EVP/GM, Hearst Magazines. "Kindle Fire's beautiful touch-screen creates a great experience for readers, who will be able to enjoy magazines like Cosmopolitan and Esquire in a full-color, glossy format."

"We are very pleased to be working with Amazon and getting our content to an even wider audience," said Monica Ray, Executive Vice President, Consumer Marketing, Condé Nast. "Their Newsstand will provide the kind of access and ease-of-use consumers value and demand."

"Meredith has worked with Amazon to create Kindle Fire optimized interactive apps, so readers can enjoy videos, how-to diagrams and more while reading magazines like Better Homes & Gardens and Parents," said Liz Schimel, Chief Digital Officer, Meredith. "We think readers will love the experience of discovering our magazines in this new way on Kindle Fire's beautiful full-color touch-screen."

Kindle Fire offers more than 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, magazines, apps and games, as well as free storage in the Amazon Cloud, Whispersync for books and movies, a 14.6 ounce design that's easy to hold with one hand, vibrant color touch screen, a powerful dual-core processor and Amazon Silk – Amazon's new revolutionary web browser that accelerates the power of the mobile device by using the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services Cloud – all for only $199. Customers also enjoy a free month of Amazon Prime giving them access to Prime Instant Video with 13,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited streaming and the new Kindle Owners' Lending Library where Kindle owners can now choose from thousands of books to borrow for free including more than 100 current and former New York Times Bestsellers – as frequently as a book a month, with no due dates.
post #80 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 04:05 AM
Veteran

Engadget gave it a decent review. Yes there are flaws (some sluggishness, some UI quirks, etc) but they did indicate that for $200 it does make for a decent tablet. Just don't get your hopes up too high if you expect iPad performance (I think it will compete fairly well with the Kobo vox, and once we get custom roms on the Fire I think it will help.
post #82 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 09:01 AM

I will be picking up my Kindle Fire this week and will try to post a short review once I test it out a bit. I will be comparing it vs an iPad 1 and HP Touchpad that I currently own.
post #83 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 02:04 AM
Veteran

Just got the shipping notification on my Kindle Fire; delivery scheduled for Wednesday.
Ihnatko liked it as well: Not an iPad killer, but nonetheless, a killer device.
post #84 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 10:20 AM

Those of you who have ordered, please let me know if there is any IP Blocking on the Fire. I have friends with US Kindle e-Readers, and there is no problem buying books. I would think Amazon Prime streaming might be a different matter.

For my wife (Christmas present), this will be a reader primarily, so I'd like to know if there are any issues purchasing books and magazines from the US store.

Thanks!
post #85 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 08:25 AM

Picked up my kindle fire yesterday, but I only had a couple of hours to play with. First impressions are very good. It feels great in my hands, very similar to a playbook, and seems fast and responsive. Maybe not as responsive as my iPad, but very fluid nonetheless. I should note that I am an Amazon prime member, and I also sub to unblockus dns service.

Setup was very easy, it basically asked for the password to my wireless network, did a quick OS updated, and then configured itself and connected to my amazon account automatically. Once connected to my account, it could see my kindle ebooks, my videos, and music. I am an amazon prime member so there was a very good selection of free videos to view. They have a option to choose between device and cloud. Most of my stuff was and will stay in the cloud, however, performance was excellent in both cases.

Apps were a little trickier since I am in Canada. In order to download any apps from the amazon/android app store (even the free apps like netflix/hulu), I had to link my US credit card as the primary card on my account. This is a prepaid mastercard that I get from Walmart in the US. Normally, I just use my Canadian visa when making purchases at Amazon, but until I switched the cards in my account settings, I kept receiving an error that my location does not support apps at this time. Once I got this configured, I was able to download a few games, and most importantly netflix and hulu. I sub to both streaming services and the performance was excellent on the device.

Earlier in the day, I was playing around with a playbook at FS, and while it has a few more bells and whistle's (camera), overall, I felt the Amazon fire is more in line with what I want in a tablet. I am primarily a consumer of entertainment and the Fire has perfectly captured all mediums including books, videos, music, and games. Even with the impending drop (this weekend!!) of the playbooks to $199, I feel the Fire has more to offer for me, especially given the app selection.

Fire off any questions....pun intended
post #86 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 05:54 PM
Veteran

So are you confirming that it streams Netflix? The vox will appear to load the movie and show the scrubber bar but not actually play. The hardware specs are quite similar between the Fire and the Vox so if the Fire can play the movie nicely then it must be a software problem with the Vox. Are you using version 1.5.2 on the Fire?
post #87 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 06:23 PM

Yep, netflix definitely works...the US version at least. It is running netflix version 1.5.2.
post #88 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 10:35 AM

Supergenius,

So are you saying you can buy books with your Canadian CC?
post #89 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 11:04 AM

I haven't tried purchasing a book through my Fire yet, but I have used my Canadian card in the past for kindle books.
post #90 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-11-21, 12:59 PM
Rookie

How about screen reflection while reading outdoors as compared to an ipad ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in