Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:15 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 626
Oh, a new wrinkle umm, I mean rumour/rumour. Makes sense in light of what I posted above. It would put Amazon firmly in control of their platform so as to not be at the mercy of Google and always a step behind the rest of the Android players.
Gino Cerullo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:26 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DDO, Videotron, Cisco 8642HD
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
I imagine Honeycomb 3.x specific tablet apps won't run, one because of the code but also because they are designed for the much larger 9"-10" screens.
The main Android 3.x improvement for the bigger displays is the introduction of fragments, which is basically a more powerful version of the splitview used on the iPad... So what would be displayed on multiple pages on a phone, can be shown on a single page of a tablet. But the compatibility library has it for Android 1.6+, so my Android 2.2 tablet is displaying those just fine, as would the Kindle Fire...

Quote:
Honeycomb, as we know, was never open sourced
Right, I guess Google wanted to give the big names a head start against all the cheaper tablets...

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing you can only install apps from the Amazon app store.
Reports are saying that side-loading apps will be possible...
Fonceur is offline  
post #63 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:39 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Reports are saying that side-loading apps will be possible...
Is this because Amazon won't be locking down the device or is it just because the Fire will be easy to root as that has been stated as well.
Gino Cerullo is offline  
 
post #64 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:46 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DDO, Videotron, Cisco 8642HD
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
Is this because Amazon won't be locking down the device
Right, except for a few carriers like AT&T, usually the Android devices are not locked down, or it's a simple toggle in the setup to enable side-loading...
Fonceur is offline  
post #65 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:51 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 403
More Wi-Fi Usage

Amazon's "Fire" tablet is yet another digital eco-system. It can be looked at as two things -- a media consumption device; and an integrated mobile retail store.

Like most other tablets, it is strong on web browsing, video and audio playback and reading. Typical passive media consumption stuff.

But as we move more and more into a society that consumes lots of digital things (music, movies, TV shows and books), Amazon has created a virtual retail store with it's Fire tablet. The strength of the Fire tablet is that it makes finding and buying digital stuff quick and easy -- and then you can "consume" it on the same device. In the USA, you even have the choice of using Amazon Prime, which streams video-based product to you at no extra cost above a yearly $80 subscription fee.

And Amazon offers perhaps unmatched quantities of digital stuff for us all to consume. They are used to and good at making a thriving business out of very low margins and very high volumes. And now they are just about to open tens of millions of mobile retail outlets.

Shaw executives must be feeling pretty good about deciding to stay out of the 3G, 4G, LTE communications business, and instead focussing on urban Wi-Fi. Now they have even more potential customers to plan around.
Camera.Ken is offline  
post #66 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 01:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
I really doubt that they don't want to sell content to the rest of the world, it's most likely a question of having to negotiate for distribution rights and such...
Distribution rights for apps come on! They run their own apps store and if developers want in they have to play by Amazon rule.
madhi19 is offline  
post #67 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 01:23 PM
Digital Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Burlington
Posts: 24,794
I assume he means distribution rights for video streaming of movies, tv shows, etc. and not an app.
james99 is offline  
post #68 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 01:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Rogers
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Distribution rights for apps come on! They run their own apps store and if developers want in they have to play by Amazon rule.
"If developers want in they have to play by Amazon rule" ... ummm ... isn't that what everyone does namely Apple? So, what's your point? That only Apple can do that?

I think Amazon's product is extremely innovative as it extends Cloud computing to the mass consumers and brings a new breath of fresh air. I'd like to see how the EC2 servers perform under all these downloads where the EC2 does the bulk of the work, and sends the end result to the Fire. Should be really, really fast compared to all other browsers or media players.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
lawman is offline  
post #69 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 06:21 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,982
Once Android ICS gets ported to it (and I guarantee it will) I will be very tempted to replace my Nook Color with one of these.
TorontoColin is offline  
post #70 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 06:47 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 626
I'm curious. If the newest rumour circulating around that Amazon is trying to purchase WebOS from HP comes true and these Kindles tablets become WebOS devices are they still attractive to users? They will no longer have access to the vast Android app ecosystem and will need to start from scratch in that regard. They will however still have access to everything else that makes an Amazon device attractive, is that enough?
Gino Cerullo is offline  
post #71 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 06:53 PM
Digital Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Burlington
Posts: 24,794
I heard the same rumour. Sounds like something similar to the purchase of Motorola by Google. Patents.
james99 is offline  
post #72 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 06:57 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 626
Really, you think they're doing it for the patents? I would think it was for WebOS.
Gino Cerullo is offline  
post #73 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 07:15 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DDO, Videotron, Cisco 8642HD
Posts: 303
Instead of providing an update to Android 4.0, it might make sense to move to WebOS... Though it's probably more useful for a Kindle Fire v2.0...
Fonceur is offline  
post #74 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 07:33 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,982
I don't get why they would do that. I don't think they want to be in the tablet market, despite analysts' belief otherwise. They're losing money on the Kindle Fire, because they just want to get it in people's hands so they will buy Amazon content.

They can take any open-source version of Android they want and customize it so hard that Andy Rubin himself wouldn't recognize it. They can use their own app store to make sure only compatible apps show up. What benefit do they get from WebOS? I see lots of negatives (it'll cost them a lot of money, they will become solely responsible for all it's development, and they will anger the devs who are posting Android apps in their app store) but I can't see a single way that it would help them sell more of their content, which is and always has been their end game.

The only think I could see them wanting is patents.
TorontoColin is offline  
post #75 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 09:42 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,605
Whoever owns the patents, controls the technology.

Also, Amazon is not a newcomer in content consumption devices. They already have a huge customer base with their Kindle reader devices, with their latest ad-supported model available in the States for only $79. And it's rumoured that, next year, Amazon could very possibly release a Kindle reader device absolutely free, entirely subsidized by ads and content purchases. If that becomes a reality, could you imagine what could happen to Version 2 of the Kindle Fire?

Apple may have released the world's first usable tablet device, but Amazon could become the clear winner in the content retail department simply by dumping as many devices as possible in the hands of eager budget-minded buyers.
Francois Caron is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome