Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 11:01 AM

That's how I've read it being described, very similar to Opera Mini. As a matter of fact people were speculating as to whether Amazon might try to build a version for iOS, and for Android in general, since it is still base on WebKit and as such would most likely be accepted by Apple's App Store.

Don't know how it will handle Flash, I haven't read about anyone other than Amazon reps who were even allowed to touch them so no one knows much about how they actually perform.

Comment from Ars Techinica review,

Quote:
The new Kindle Touch could barely be touched, and hands-on time with the Fire was limited to a carefully monitored test of its weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Opera Mini is meant for 3G connections. Not as high quality, but less to download. But if you are on wifi, you are meant to use regular Opera. Obviously the Silk browser is meant for wifi, so there must be something different.
post #48 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

INteresting from Amazon TOS of Silk

Quote:
Amazon Silk optimizes and accelerates the delivery of web content by using Amazon’s cloud computing services. Therefore, like most Internet service providers and similar services that enable you to access the Web, the content of web pages you visit using Amazon Silk passes through our servers and may be cached to improve performance on subsequent page loads.

Amazon Silk also temporarily logs web addresses -- known as uniform resource locators (“URLs”) -- for the web pages it serves and certain identifiers, such as IP or MAC addresses, to troubleshoot and diagnose Amazon Silk technical issues. We generally do not keep this information for longer than 30 days.

You can also choose to operate Amazon Silk in basic or “off-cloud” mode. Off-cloud mode allows web pages generally to go directly to your computer rather than pass through our servers. As such, it does not take advantage of Amazon’s cloud computing services to speed-up web content delivery.
Definitely a Opera Mini knock off but the "off-cloud" mode is interesting.

post #49 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 11:59 AM

Ah, never thought to read their TOS. Nice to know they have an 'off-cloud' mode. At least that way if you want more privacy you do have the option.
post #50 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 12:25 PM

I already own an iPad but this device is intriguing. The price point is precisely right. Lots of people can afford a $200 device but not justify an iPad.

I'm sure 3G versions will come. No partnerships are necessary. Carriers that have iPad plans now can sell their SIM cards for use in these devices. Most such plans support several tablet devices already.

If I didn't already own an iPad and a Kindle 3G (3G as in 3rd gen, 3G as in cellular capable also ), I'd get one. At the price, I just might anyway. It's a much more convenient size for carrying around, and it's an interesting way to get familiar with Android.
post #51 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 04:51 PM
Veteran

$199 for me is the perfect price point to give a tablet a whirl. I'll wait for a few reviews but it is certainly an intriguing piece of gear and I am willing to bet Amazon will sell TONS of them.

Might even be nice for the kids. My 2 year old could really appreciate this. Too bad there's no webcam. Would have been nice for the little one for Skype.
post #52 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 07:48 PM

that's what I was curious about

I thought cameras were mandatory hardware to run honeycomb
post #53 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
that's what I was curious about

I thought cameras were mandatory hardware to run honeycomb
Well, first of all, this isn't running Honeycomb. Second, this isn't a Google endorsed device. Amazon grabbed the last version of Android that was available as open source, Android 2.3, and built on top of that.
post #54 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Here's an excellent incentive to get your teenage children the camera-less Fire instead of a camera equipped tablet. They won't be able to do sexting with their friends.

Anyway, this is just the first model. Features like cameras, accelerometers, and larger screens will most likely be included in future models, but at a higher selling price.
post #55 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 10:27 PM
Veteran

I plunked down my $199 as soon as I read the feature and spec set. Even though I have the iPad, it's mostly a paperweight these days, as I use my MacBook Air for just about everything. It feels superfluous to bring another almost-Air-sized device along.

I like the smaller form factor - and the price point (and I'm a gadget geek).

Regarding Flash (which I loathe), Amazon has a Flash plug-in included on the Fire, so it'll play Flash natively (which seems odd - would seem like the perfect candidate to be rendered by Silk, then pushed in HTML5 for consumption by the end-user browser on Fire).
post #56 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Amazon grabbed the last version of Android that was available as open source, Android 2.3, and built on top of that.
So does that mean it won't run apps designed for Honeycomb?

post #57 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
If they are specifically designed for Android 3.0 and up, indeed they wouldn't... But with the compatibility library going back to Android 1.6, there isn't much reason not to support 1.6 to 3.x in the same app... The same way that an iOS app could be 4.3+ only and cut off the iPod 2nd generation which are stuck at 4.2...
post #58 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 06:04 AM

It will be a hit the fact that the Kindle Fire will be on the front page of the biggest online store for months pretty much guarantee that it will succeed. But it wont be the kindle that I will buy am more interested in the 79$ Kindle. At that price point it really is a no brainer. It not going to eat away at the Ipad yet but if it drive serious honeycomb tablet maker like ASUS, ACER and SAMSUNG to drop bellow, around or at 199$ then you have some serious product sold at a killer price.
This bring a big question about six month ago if you shopped on Amazon global you could find around 20 models of tablet. Now on Global they got around 50 model of tablet that Amazon ship almost everywhere yet they still don't sell apps, mp3 and Video outside the US. Why? It kind of ridiculous they sell the devices yet they don't want to open their ecosystem to existing customers who are the most likely to actually buy from them!

Last edited by admin; 2011-09-30 at 01:48 PM. Reason: removed illegal link
post #59 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It kind of ridiculous they sell the devices yet they don't want to open their ecosystem to existing customers who are the most likely to actually buy from them!
I really doubt that they don't want to sell content to the rest of the world, it's most likely a question of having to negotiate for distribution rights and such...
post #60 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I imagine Honeycomb 3.x specific tablet apps won't run, one because of the code but also because they are designed for the much larger 9"-10" screens. Honeycomb, as we know, was never open sourced and was developed specifically for the larger screen of a tablet.

(Everything below is based on speculation but seems reasonable based on the information we know about the Amazon Fire. Of course, I would welcome evidence that would prove it wrong.)

Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) is suppose to be released any week now but I doubt the Fire will see it for a while. This is the version of Android that unifies the smartphone and tablet code. It seems that Amazon has forked Android and since it is not running any of the Google apps Google has no incentive to work with Amazon. Amazon will probably have to wait until Google open sources the code before they can add any improvements from the new version and new versions of Android going forward. This means that Amazon will always be a step behind Google and it's partners when it comes to Android OS and the apps it can run.

I guess it's a good thing you can only install apps from the Amazon app store. This will allow them to control which apps are made available to the Fire, and future Amazon Android based devices going forward, so as not to ruin the experience for their customers. How the more savvy and informed customers will feel about this and how it may affect sales will be interesting. Any new apps or games that take advantage of new features of the Android OS won't be available to Amazon tablets customers until Amazon catches up with their OS code.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in