Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:58 PM

As mentioned by previous posters, Amazon could have done slightly more to the fire to really make it an iPad killer. Yes the price is reasonable compared to others, and yes it's lighter, but the fact it has no 3G, camera, limited place and no room for expansion, and only a few audio and video format support, might lead to it ending up like the playbook?

Like house sales, the market will dictate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Why do you think they are trying to compete with Apple?
I'm not. As I noted earlier, this seems more like competition for low end Android tablets or high end book readers.

Its the media and blogosphere that has been going on about how the Fire was going to be an iPad killer.

post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 06:07 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
james99, you have a kindle or two (for book reading) plus a playbook (for email and browsing) so what is the attraction of the Fire Tablet? Are you going to dump your old kindles and playbook or carry multiple devices around?
It won't replace my Kindle. E-ink is something you can't compete against IMHO.

This is really for travel (commute and holidays). I now need a wifi tethering phone to pair it with. I have an "unlimited" data plan so I don't need 3g built in.

My Playbook has more muscle but less apps (though it has the basics I need).

So, when I head on holidays, I'll probably take all 3 and see what I don't use.

Three 7" devices don't take up much real estate and only the Kindle will make it to the beach.

Everybody likes to compare every new device to Apple. It's lazy journalism IMHO. Amazon is competing against colour e-readers and low end tablets. I can imagine what's happening to stocks like Barnes and Noble today.

edit: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BKS

post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 06:19 PM
Veteran

6.89% drop? Oops!
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 06:20 PM

@james99

In the specs it says that although it has WiFi it does not support ad-hoc network connections (peer-to-peer). I've been doing some research regarding this and it seems that depending on the device you may want to tether to you may be out of luck.

Some smartphones implement tethering using an ad-hoc network, others implement it using what's called 'infrastructure mode.' This will work with devices that support infrastructure mode so do your homework.
post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
For its browsing capabilities, it's definitely tempting. I could sell my iPad, buy the Fire, and still come out ahead.
Still got your iPad, eh?

At half the screen area of the iPad, I'm not sure I want to be reading magazines like National Geographic and New Scientist on the Fire. Graphic novels (ok, comic books) would be iffy too. I've got true portability covered with my iPhone. Hardcore e-book readers will miss E-ink. But I'm sure Amazon will sell a tonne of these because of the price and their name.
post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 07:40 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino Cerullo View Post
@james99

Some smartphones implement tethering using an ad-hoc network, others implement it using what's called 'infrastructure mode.' This will work with devices that support infrastructure mode so do your homework.
Thanks for the heads up.
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Still got your iPad, eh?
Only because I've been busy lately and haven't gotten around to selling it. Show me some cash, and I'll speed up the process.

Okay, I'm definitely set in reviewing the Kindle Fire. I've just posted a teaser video for a future instalment of my Dining Room Table Reviews video series.

Don't know if the petition will work, but it's worth a shot.
post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 11:33 PM

Its funny to hear people comparing this to iPad or as an iPad killer. Its none of these. What's truly amazing about this device is the Amazon Silk browser (which supports Flash) and the free Cloud storage for their Amazon content i.e. music, movies, ebooks etc.

You don't really need 3G since watching movies over 3G is really inefficient. Its better over WiFi. If you want 3G, you can get the other Kindle (non-color) option. Maybe the next version might have a 3G option for a few more dollars. But 3G, 4G or LTE, it really does not matter. This just makes it cost more, and that's not the goal. IMO, the goal is to sell this device at a really low price point to get market penetration that will access their Cloud services for the Amazon content, which is where their revenue is.

You don't need more flash memory but it could have allowed people to add more content locally via memory cards etc. But 8G is okay as a start. But the intent really is for people to use Amazon's Cloud service and realize the potential of using the Cloud to do many applications that people would not normally use it for.

By utilizing the EC2 servers, the end users do not need a device with a powerful CPU/GPU or have massive flash memory to run apps like gaming, streaming movies, listening to movies, browsing large graphically intensive web sites etc. Essentially "storing" your Amazon content e.g. movies, music on their EC2 servers.

The servers are like keeping track of your DRM licensing on the Amazon content you've bought. Unless you are thinking of storing it locally on your 8GB flash. But I would ask why the need to store it on your local device when you can access this anyways for free in your Cloud storage as long as you have WiFi access? If you don't have WiFi, usually one would not be storing massive amounts of movies on one's own smartphone anyways. Maybe only one or two. Don't forget this is a portable tablet and not a NAS device.

The EC2 servers does all the work, and reduces the latencies and only needs to send the converted images or gaming video to the device (via WiFi). All the heavy GPU/CPU is processed off-site and rendered on the EC2 servers and passed to the end-user's device.

I think Kindle Fire is an amazing product introducing a very interesting feature in the Silk browser and other apps utilizing Cloud services for all types of media. Really cool and at a great affordable price point.

Panasonic TH50PX60U / Denon AVR-990 / 8642HD PVR/ Panasonic DVD-S77 / Pioneer DV-563A / Playstation3 / Belkin PF60
post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 07:34 AM
Veteran

like the touchpad at firewall prices... This more so will get the developers salivating.. Cheap and available.. Should be intresting...

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #42 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 07:59 AM
Veteran

Not so sure about the Cloud concept yet. As the incidents with Sony have demonstrated, no computer system is entirely secure. At least Amazon has a good track record with computer security.
post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 09:38 AM

I think there are misconceptions about the Silk browser. Although there is talk about how everything is rendered in the cloud before sending it on to device with the belief that this is to speed things up, in actual fact I believe it has more to do with Amazon wanting to skim the content their users are browsing so they can target ads. Hopefully that's all they are doing with the info.

The Kindle Fire, despite being a fairly bare bones device, actually has a decent on board processor. It's dual core and although it may not be the fastest by today's standards it is fast by last years standards and I don't remember people complaining about browser speeds on these types of devices even two years ago.

Anyway, if I'm correct, I wonder how people feel about Amazon intercepting all their browsing data like that?
post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 09:39 AM
Veteran

I think the rooting decision is great. Get people hyped about buying the device. Product sold out, etc. Average consumer will just know the device is selling like hotcakes. They won't know about rooting and will just buy it because it looks popular.

Meanwhile, the Playbook just dropped the price of its lowest model to $399.
post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I think there are misconceptions about the Silk browser. Although there is talk about how everything is rendered in the cloud before sending it on to device with the belief that this is to speed things up,
So Silk is essentially the same idea as Opera Mini. Render pages on a server and then send them to the computer or device in html?

If yes, Does this mean Silk will render Flash pages but will not be able to play Flash games and be interactive?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in