Amazon fire Tablet Unveiled (now available) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 02:24 PM

This will get an international release eventually, Amazon just won't say when yet. I suspect that before they launch in Canada they'll want to make more of their content services available here. I doubt they make much (if any) money from the hardware; they need to be able to sell their content.

I'm sure this will put a dent in iPad and Android tablet sales, but I suspect the biggest impact will be on the cheap, low-end Android tablets. This device may have limited abilities compared to an iPad or Xoom, but it is low-cost, powerful, and supported by a huge company who will be very concerned about perfecting the experience. If you just want a low-cost tablet to browse the web and use a few basic apps (email, facebook, etc) then this makes way more sense than an iPad or high-priced Android tablet. You can buy two of these for the cost of an iPad, and still save $100. But more than that, for the average user it can probably do everything that a low-cost Viewsonic or Archos Android tablet can do, but much better. And Amazon can sell these at a price point that nobody, not even Apple, can match because they'll make their money on content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you just want a low-cost tablet to browse the web and use a few basic apps (email, facebook, etc) then this makes way more sense than an iPad or high-priced Android tablet.
Ditto for those of us in the market for a device to travel with. A netbook or iPad is fine but usually you have to leave it at the hotel most days. But a Fire tablet will be more portable and less awkward to use on the fly.
post #18 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 03:55 PM
Digital Sage

I read an article yesterday (that I can no longer find) that stated a typical tablet user mainly used it for email and web surfing.

In other words, this device is ideal for that profile of a person.

post #19 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:24 PM

@Andrew1

To me an tablet is truely portable when it is 'pocketable.' At 7", the Fire, as well as all the other 7" tablets, are not much more portable than a 10" tablet. You still need to carry it in a bag of some sort, cargo pants may be the exception. If you have to carry a bag anyway then why not carry a 10" which gives you the much more desirable larger screen.

@james99

I agree, most people may 'mainly' use their tablet for email and web browsing but most also want the ability to run apps. That is why the original Kindles had a limited market, and Amazon recognized that fact and released the more versatile Fire.
post #20 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:26 PM
Veteran

All I hope is that if you use the Fire for forum postings or filling in forms, that it *retains* the information you've typed in even when you open a separate browser page to look up and possibly copy/paste information into your message or on-line form.

This is a BIG problem I'm having with my iPad right now. I often open up separate browser windows to search for and copy/paste stuff from other sites into my posts. But when I try to re-access the page containing my unfinished message, the iPad will often REFRESH the page, and ERASE what I've originally written!

This AIN'T convenient AT ALL!!!

Hopefully Amazon won't repeat the same boneheaded mistake.
post #21 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Does it have a microSD slot because 8GB is limiting?

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:33 PM

No microSD slot. However, the point of the Kindle is that content is streamed from the cloud via Amazon's services. It's not meant to hold lots of files.
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
No microSD slot. However, the point of the Kindle is that content is streamed from the cloud via Amazon's services. It's not meant to hold lots of files.
That's fine - as long as you have a wi-fi signal....
post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Not having 3G really limits streaming from the cloud. Not being able to go beyond 8GB really means this is not meant for viewing videos, photos and music playbook.

It will be interesting to see how sales go but while $199 is cheap, it doesn't seem to provide better value

With Amazon's marketing, I'm sure it will sell but I don't see it being a tablet killer

post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Not having 3G really limits streaming from the cloud. Not being able to go beyond 8GB really means this is not meant for viewing videos, photos and music playbook.

It will be interesting to see how sales go but while $199 is cheap, it doesn't seem to provide better value

With Amazon's marketing, I'm sure it will sell but I don't see it being a tablet killer
Hugh, do you think Amazon made a mistake trying to hit a certain price point and in doing so has crippled this device unnecessarily.

Should they have been braver and tried to challenge the tablet market with a full featured device that used Amazon's ecosystem, and possibly a better UI for Android, as the differentiating factor rather than price?
post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Gino, you definitely are following my line of reasoning.

My gut thinks there is no way this competes with Android tablets or the iPad so they made a mistake, however, my brains thinks maybe people just want a cheap web browser / email device and they consider the rest just bells and whistles so $199 gives you a cheap and cheerful device for the masses.

I guess we'll have to let the marketplace decide!

post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:37 PM
Veteran

For its browsing capabilities, it's definitely tempting. I could sell my iPad, buy the Fire, and still come out ahead.

I could also buy a netbook for $200, but it's not very practical when lying on the living room couch.

Gotta find out if I can get a review sample for my Dining Room Table Reviews video series.
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:49 PM
Digital Sage

Just pre-ordered one. For $199 it was a very, very easy decision.

Quote:
Technical Details

Display: 7" multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and anti-reflective treatment, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, 16 million colors.

Size (in inches): 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" (190 mm x 120 mm x 11.4 mm).

Weight: 14.6 ounces (413 grams).

System Requirements: None, because it's wireless and doesn't require a computer.

On-device Storage: 8GB internal. That's enough for 80 apps, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books.

Cloud Storage: Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Battery Life: Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback, with wireless off. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as web browsing and downloading content.

Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB.

Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or 802.1X standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)

Audio 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers.

Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8.

Documentation: Quick Start Guide(included in box); Kindle User's Guide (pre-installed on device)

Warranty and Service: 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the terms found here.

Included in the Box: Kindle Fire tablet, U.S. power adapter (supports 100-240V), and Quick Start Guide.
post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

james99, you have a kindle or two (for book reading) plus a playbook (for email and browsing) so what is the attraction of the Fire Tablet? Are you going to dump your old kindles and playbook or carry multiple devices around?

post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:57 PM

Why do you think they are trying to compete with Apple?

Amazon is selling a very different product. They're not selling a tablet, they're just selling a medium to consume their content. Their business model is very different from Apple, or the Android manufacturers. Just as the Kindle is to Amazon's ebook service, the Kindle Fire is to their video and music streaming services. They don't want you to be able to play other content sources easily because they want to sell their own, just like you can't easily load ebooks from anyone other than Amazon onto a Kindle.

3G requires carrier partnerships, so I doubt they want to go there. If people really want 3G, and their phone won't tether, they can get a MiFi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in